sharetrader
Page 178 of 246 FirstFirst ... 78128168174175176177178179180181182188228 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,780 of 2456
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    on fire new highs coming , $5 anyone?
    No thanks I'll leave it for you, planet SPK more attractive at current prices.

Advanced Member

Good demand at these levels, being long generation this time of year with near full lakes can’t be a bad thing either. MEL will likely be the beneficiary of any further gas outages .... should be a cracker full year result in a few months

Advanced Member

From Friday’s Herald...
    “ The electricity sector is playing chicken with politicians as the review of electricity prices approaches its formal end. ......power companies have taken heart the fact that the review said they are not profiteering, so they feel stronger regulations won’t hit them. Some politicians are not of the same view.”
    I’m not at all sure we have heard the end of this.
    Disc. Hold all the power companies. About 15% of my portfolio all up.

Retail power prices are apparently 20% lower than the OECD average and well under Australia's average.
    Not sure you have a lot to worry about RTM although I note some retailers are still working the old high discount scheme which is really nothing more than high penalties for late payers. MEL the first to move to transparent retail pricing so good on them ands wins some brownie points for sure.
    FWIW I have about 13% in this sector split relatively evenly now between MEL, CEN and GNE.
    Last edited by Beagle; 27-04-2019 at 11:09 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Advanced Member

Next 2 weeks could be interesting based on the latest out of the Pohokura field.

OMV sees delay with Pohokura well intervention campaign

https://mobile.offshoreenergytoday.c...tion-campaign/

Key takeaway from article as per below article was posted on the 24th April.

“Between now and mid-May, OMV anticipates about 18 days of offshore production outages – comprising of intermittent outages for approximately six days followed by a continuous shutdown of about 12 days during decoupling of the rig and platform.”

Wouldn’t want to be on flick for the next few weeks ....

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Retail power prices are apparently 20% lower than the OECD average and well under Australia's average.
    Not sure you have a lot to worry about RTM although I note some retailers are still working the old high discount scheme which is really nothing more than high penalties for late payers. MEL the first to move to transparent retail pricing so good on them ands wins some brownie points for sure.
    FWIW I have about 13% in this sector split relatively evenly now between MEL, CEN and GNE.

I hope you are right Beagle. I'm not sure how valid it is to compare NZ vs Australia as we are mostly from renewables, whereas Australia relies heavily on coal. Labour/Greens has missed out on the CGT......they will have to provide something tangible to their people.

Nz is only 65% non CO2 which is the important bit.

Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by horus1 View Post
    Nz is only 65% non CO2 which is the important bit.
    For the benefit of us non-scientific types, horus, could you expand a bit on the non CO2 part of NZ's renewable generation. Presumably, it's the geothermal part? If so, would a portion of this discharge escape naturally into the atmosphere if it wasn't captured for power generation? Is the "intensity" of it's CO2 less than that of equivalent coal or other fossil fuel generation?

Its the coal, gas , and geothermal bits. You cannot get away with saying it would escape anyway because that doesn't appear to be true. The 65% is real and when CO2 taxes are applied at a decent level it means electricity prices will go up substantially.
    Watch fuel cells which are coming , that is storage of electricity and is the end of the present grid based system, that togethe with solar and batteries make the electricity Industry one which is facing massive technological change ,with reduced margins.

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by horus1 View Post
    Its the coal, gas , and geothermal bits. You cannot get away with saying it would escape anyway because that doesn't appear to be true. The 65% is real and when CO2 taxes are applied at a decent level it means electricity prices will go up substantially.
    Watch fuel cells which are coming , that is storage of electricity and is the end of the present grid based system, that togethe with solar and batteries make the electricity Industry one which is facing massive technological change ,with reduced margins.
    Like any entrenched industry though, they are best positioned to evolve their product to the market demand which I expect our energy companies to do, firstly evolve to EV's, supporting Solar, and after that evolve to Hydrogen. In any event it will take a few decades and the incumbents are always best positioned to manage the evolution. What we aren't seeing is fundamental or massive sector disruption except in minor capacities such as innovative retail models.