sharetrader
Page 1 of 130 123451151101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 1943

Thread: Meridian Float

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    17

    Default Meridian Float

    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11125424

    Meridian Energy's listing date has been announced. Who is interested?

    And if anyone is wondering, here is the Gov website where you can register your interest.
    https://www.meridianshares.govt.nz/
    Last edited by MrAT; 16-09-2013 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Added a link

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    1,400

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrAT View Post
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11125424

    Meridian Energy's listing date has been announced. Who is interested?
    Thanks for the link .
    I have already registered my interest on line-what a frustrating form to complete-managed to get the 2 word identification code after numerous attempts

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    174

    Default

    Does anyone have any thoughts on whether Cunliffe would proceed with Greens/Labour hare brained scheme to set up power buying agency?

  4. #4
    Dilettante
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    2,992

    Default

    I heard him talk about it on radio last week so sounds like he will continue with that policy !

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    60

    Default

    No more "hairbrained" than the systems Pharmac or Fonterra use, so good on the Labour/Greens Opposition for doing something about delivering cheaper power to the people. If that discombobulates the government's asset sales programme.....tough!

  6. #6
    Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    3,164

    Default

    There doesn't appear to be any benefit in going though a broker, in fact probably a disincentive as you may be scaled more:
    https://d2ikaws505454x.cloudfront.ne...xt%20steps.pdf
    Free delivery worldwide with Book Depository http://www.bookdepository.co.uk

  7. #7
    Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Auckland, , New Zealand.
    Posts
    2,623

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ekrub View Post
    No more "hairbrained" than the systems Pharmac or Fonterra use, so good on the Labour/Greens Opposition for doing something about delivering cheaper power to the people. If that discombobulates the government's asset sales programme.....tough!
    Partial sale Burke.

  8. #8
    Guru peat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Whanganui, New Zealand.
    Posts
    4,658

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    There doesn't appear to be any benefit in going though a broker, in fact probably a disincentive as you may be scaled more:
    https://d2ikaws505454x.cloudfront.ne...xt%20steps.pdf

    You may wish to delete your post

    • You will not make or distribute a copy of the information on this website anywhere in the world
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

  9. #9
    born2invest
    Guest

    Default

    All the incentives just reek of desperation. If it was such a good deal, they wouldn't need to throw these in.

    I never buy a company unless it has released 2 annual reports since listing on the share market. I don't intend to start now.

  10. #10
    Veteran novice
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    6,653

    Default

    I don't think the proposed incentives are necessarily a reflection on Meridian the company but rather they indicate the govt's determination to make sure that the partial float is a success. I will withhold a view on the merits of Meridian as an investment until there are some hard numbers available.

  11. #11
    Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    3,164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    I don't think the proposed incentives are necessarily a reflection on Meridian the company but rather they indicate the govt's determination to make sure that the partial float is a success. I will withhold a view on the merits of Meridian as an investment until there are some hard numbers available.
    agree, it is a mechanism to allow smaller NZ investors to buy more - like me ( say $6k now, $4k later). They could easily sell more than 15% to overseas investors.

  12. #12
    Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Posts
    3,331

    Default

    The thing is, offering it in installment receipts is not even a "lolly scramble". You the investor are "borrowing" the 40% later money at an implied interest rate anyway. So there is no real free money in this issue.
    That said I may get into it as a stag as I see the govt maybe giving greater incentives to "mom and pops" than they did last time or at least make the price more firm before you apply. Will wait to see the full details first. But don't get fooled by high yeilds and paying later. That is just a facade to sell this thing easier.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    274

    Default

    I'm probably going to stag it. Not interested in holding it long term.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    44

    Default

    As a rookie investor, getting burned by MRP early on was not fun at all. I'll stay well clear of Meridian until I know the price. Even then I think i'll wait till it goes live or look into it after the next election.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    1,987

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PartyPooper View Post
    As a rookie investor, getting burned by MRP early on was not fun at all. I'll stay well clear of Meridian until I know the price. Even then I think i'll wait till it goes live or look into it after the next election.
    Welcome to the forum PartyPooper.

    That's a wise move, in this instance if you are unsure the best thing to do is to do nothing.

    Meridian have a slightly different business model from MRP and CEL, they inherited the 'jewel in the crown' assets from ECNZ, very big well depreciated south island hydro cash cow plant.

    But, the risks are also a little different, Meridian are more prone to dry year events and more prone to low wind years then their competitors.

    Because of this it is probable that Meridian over time will be a little more volatile, as far as power companies go, and there may well be a better entry point to buy in during a future dry year event.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •