sharetrader
Page 103 of 246 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104105106107113153203 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 2456

Firstly I think the notification date is 31st of July and it has to be a positive notification, i.e. if they say nothing it drops of . I do not think anyone else can supply at the prices Tiwai want and make aprofit. A domestic customer in NZ pays 26-28c/Kwhr, an industrial about 8- 10 c/Kwhr and tiwai about 3c/Kwhr.after paying for the very high transmission security they have.

Missed by that much

Quote Originally Posted by horus1 View Post
    Firstly I think the notification date is 31st of July and it has to be a positive notification, i.e. if they say nothing it drops of . I do not think anyone else can supply at the prices Tiwai want and make aprofit. A domestic customer in NZ pays 26-28c/Kwhr, an industrial about 8- 10 c/Kwhr and tiwai about 3c/Kwhr.after paying for the very high transmission security they have.
    Those numbers appear accurate. But a consumer has the network and transmission costs hidden in that 26 - 28 c/kwh (Wish we could it that cheap in Central Otago), whereas the commercial users pay those network and transmission costs seperately. I would be very surprised if any other company will step in and supply Tiwai with energy as cheap as they wish. Only Meridian have a hope of supplying at those low prices.

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    Those numbers appear accurate. But a consumer has the network and transmission costs hidden in that 26 - 28 c/kwh (Wish we could it that cheap in Central Otago), whereas the commercial users pay those network and transmission costs seperately. I would be very surprised if any other company will step in and supply Tiwai with energy as cheap as they wish. Only Meridian have a hope of supplying at those low prices.
    Interesting, do you mind me filling some gaps? I think you're implying that MEL is more likely to retain the whole supply contract, than the balance of 172kw going elsewhere, assuming the smelter doesn't bail out, and if that's the case nothing changes?

It does seem unlikely that another company can or will materialise a 172kw excess to supply the smelter at a heavy discount to wholesale (there's two big leaps of faith there), creating the opportunity for MEL to on sell existing 172kw capacity overage at a premium on the current price they get from the smelter.

Is this all a storm in a teacup?

disc: holding MELCA soon to be MEL

Missed by that much

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    Interesting, do you mind me filling some gaps? I think you're implying that MEL is more likely to retain the whole supply contract, than the balance of 172kw going elsewhere, assuming the smelter doesn't bail out, and if that's the case nothing changes?....
    I wouldn't like to speculate on what the smelter might do. I suspect Meridian would be happy if the smelter decide to reduce their operation by 1 potline and come down to 400 MW.

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    I wouldn't like to speculate on what the smelter might do. I suspect Meridian would be happy if the smelter decide to reduce their operation by 1 potline and come down to 400 MW.
    That sounds like a great win/win scenario jantar.
    There does look like there will be some uncertainty leading up to the 31st of july(closer than many of us thought) which may affect the s/p.
    Great to get some discussion here at last guys;thank you
    Last edited by Joshuatree; 21-04-2015 at 06:57 AM.

Jantar . Those prices are for energy only. It shows how domestic customers are being ripped off. When batteries arrive it all changes. Generator/retailer shares are VERY risky

IMO

Hadn't considered batteries in the short to medium term.Do you mean like Batteries storing cheaper night energy to use during the day?Can you give any more info there horus and what time frame are you talking about; cheers JT

Missed by that much

Quote Originally Posted by horus1 View Post
    Jantar . Those prices are for energy only. It shows how domestic customers are being ripped off. When batteries arrive it all changes. Generator/retailer shares are VERY risky
    The prices for Tiwai and industrial users are indeed energy only, but the retail prices include the network and transmission charges. There are only two areas in all of New Zealand where retail customers pay their network charges sperately from their main supplier's bill. However major industrial users are billed seperately, and even smaller industrial users have their network charges shown seperately on their bill.

As for battery technology making gentailer shares risky, I'm very happy to take that risk for another decade at least.

Cheap, long life, high capacity, safe electricity storage batteries will promote distributed generation domestic electricity self-sufficiency. Not cheap or long life atm. Watch for progress on the aluminium battery in the news recently. Medium-long term scenario 10-25yr imo

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Hadn't considered batteries in the short to medium term.Do you mean like Batteries storing cheaper night energy to use during the day?Can you give any more info there horus and what time frame are you talking about; cheers JT
    No - hooked upto solar so that you use teh suns energy when you are actually at home. Vector Trialed it but has pulled the plug waiting for battery costs to come down.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/indu...ector-roll-out