sharetrader
Page 118 of 246 FirstFirst ... 1868108114115116117118119120121122128168218 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,180 of 2458

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    There is a behavioural pattern that when the market starts to turn to custard, investors perceive Ultilities as a "safer haven"....The old saying goes, "everyone still has to buy the necessities of life"
    if the anticipated Tiwai announcement today or tomorrow is positive the greece situation may also give the power shares an added boost for those seeking the 'safer haven'.

I rolled the dice and have a vested interest in seeing this happen

IMO

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    In the same paper but a different article it says $500m: http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/indu...s-on-wednesday

Why trust a journalist to provide financial news - they hardly earn enough money to eat.

IMO

Too hungry to check the veracity.
    Ive had a glass half empty strategy myself.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Too hungry to check the veracity.
    Ive had a glass half empty strategy myself.
    I personally have 5 glasses, each partially full. I have enough in the MEL glass to be interested, though I am quietly confident they will stay.

With Ma & Pa's electricity prices rising around 7% pa mostly due to line charges, its quite incredible that Tiwai might get a $50M reduction?
    Very wrong. $500M ain't small change. Would they use the carrot of staying open to reduce that remediation bill?
    The only good reason I can see this to stay open is the impact on Southland if its closed.
    And that's the poison chalice for the government particularly with dairy prices having being smashed.
    Two electoral seats at stake, both held by National.
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    There is a behavioural pattern that when the market starts to turn to custard, investors perceive Ultilities as a "safer haven"....The old saying goes, "everyone still has to buy the necessities of life"
    Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    Were they the last time the market tanked?(I honestly cant remember)
    Trust power technically broke in Jan 2008 two months after NZX50 broke..it regained to be 5% off its highs in MayJune 2008 while NZX50 tanked to be -20%.
    Contact technically broke in Nov in tandem with the NZX50 ...it too like TPW regained against the flow of the NZX50 to form an equal top in April then again in June 2008.
    Both Ulitilities performed very well in the 1st and 2nd stages of the NZX50 bear market cycle although CEN was a scary ride..
    After June the NZX50 entered Stage 3 and capitulated (~-45%) and there was nowhere to hide.. CEN losing ~-50% and TPW losing ~-25%

Vector VCT chart went against the cycles it was downtrending during the NZX50 bull cycle and bottomed in May 2008 .. well before NZX50 capitulated
    At the moment Vector would be one of the best performers
    Last edited by Hoop; 30-06-2015 at 10:46 AM.

Banned

From the poll thread - thanks Workingdad

Meridian Energy and New Zealand Aluminium Smelters Ltd (NZAS) have last night agreed to amend their electricity agreement by extending the date on which NZAS can give a termination notice to Meridian under the electricity agreement between them. The date on which a notice can be given will move from 1 July 2015 to 3 August 2015. All other terms of the Agreement remain unchanged.

if they need another month to think about it- means they are weighing there options and no certainty it will remain open?
    one step ahead of the herd

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    if they need another month to think about it- means they are weighing there options and no certainty it will remain open?
    Or using the extension to string Meridian (and Govt) along for another month.....??