sharetrader
Page 131 of 246 FirstFirst ... 3181121127128129130131132133134135141181231 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,310 of 2456
    Missed by that much

Quote Originally Posted by Rossimarnz View Post
    Anyone named Jim Hickey care to comment?
    Not Jim Hickey, but as I near retirement age I have returned to University part time, and this is my field of research. Just something that is totally different to electricity trading, yet is still mildly related.

Yes, you have it right. An El Nino usually means more westerly winds, and in turn that usually means wetter in the west and drier in the east. It doesn't always happen that way though, and there have been some El Niños that have presented very dry conditions all over. I believe I have found the reason for that and have a paper being published later this year that may go someway to explaining that.

My call is that this summer is likely to be very wet in Meridian's catchments early on, but will swing to dry sometime in February.

IMO

Thanks Rossi and Jantar ,i was really hoping you'd respond. Indifference elsewhere it seems. Will do some more sleuthing e.g. how much of the rainfall falls on the west side and how much will get over the peaks to the east of the Alps

I think the winter snowfalls in the Southern Alps are the more significant event as far as southern hydro storage is concerned as much of the storage capacity is infact generated by snowmelt rather than rainfall. Again happy to stand corrected.

Missed by that much

Quote Originally Posted by Rossimarnz View Post
    I think the winter snowfalls in the Southern Alps are the more significant event as far as southern hydro storage is concerned as much of the storage capacity is infact generated by snowmelt rather than rainfall. Again happy to stand corrected.
    There is a bit of a disagreement in the scientific world over the issue of snowmelt. The latest published paper (Kerr, 2013) gives only a 3% contribution to the South Island's mean annual streamflow. Different catchments do act differently and other papers give numbers from 10 to 30%. I personally use a base figure of 15% for the hydro catchments and modify that according the amount of estimated snow accumulation over winter, to arrive at the amount of water stored as snow that should be relaesed for generation over spring and summer.

Rainfall is still much more significant than snowmelt.
    Last edited by Jantar; 06-10-2015 at 08:39 AM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    Rainfall is still much more significant than snowmelt.
    Surely snowmelt is just stored (or deferred) rainfall? It just time shifts it from winter to spring/summer?

Missed by that much

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
    Surely snowmelt is just stored (or deferred) rainfall? It just time shifts it from winter to spring/summer?
    Yes it is. What is important is:
    How much is actually stored?
    When will it be released?
    What rate will it release?
    Will any add to glacial accumulation? (we'll see it years to decades later)
    Will there be carry over to the following year? (happens around 50% of the time)

The amount of snowmelt that is added to the streamflow is taken as lost flow until it actually melts.

Banned

Todays Craigs Investment Partners 2015 investor day presentation;

https://www.nzx.com/files/attachments/222545.pdf

The Kid

Nice dividend in the bank today.

Investor

Quote Originally Posted by IAK View Post
    Nice dividend in the bank today.
    My thoughts too

Handsome Member

Quote Originally Posted by sb9 View Post
    My thoughts too
    Was wondering why my balance looked rather "strange" this morning. Where to spend it now....that's the question. Definitely heading out for fine dinning tonight to make up my mind