sharetrader
Page 51 of 246 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151 ... LastLast
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    NOt sure if it is MEL or the Govt but some one does. If you dont exercise, they will sell on your behalf and then seek any shortfall from you. I guess this comes into play only if the IR trade below 50c as otherwise, they will recoup enough from the sale of the IR.
    Agree... but I think the IR would have to be below 0 for this to take effect. IF they can sell the IR to a buyer even for 1 cent.... that buyer stumps up with the 50 cents to convert to a share. Lets hope it does not go this far.

Quote Originally Posted by surfersteve View Post
    or you can use the money you saved to buy more now at a discount if you dont think the price will rise to far... but i doubt that the share price will be 1.5 after the third installment unless of course lb/greens come in... but nats plus M/party would have to really blow it for that to happen...
    Third installment??

Giday.Do folk believe/have faith the $1 paid will attract a return an amount of 13 % per year (roughly ok) for a period of 18 months...is this beyond question and utterly set in stone ?
    Then I suppose do folk believe that they can sell their $1 paid ...for a $1.....then all well and good...in fact very good...

Is this as simple as it appears.

just trying to simplify things .........a further question... what price would would one have to pay for a MEL should the return required be a more modest 6-7 %.Again are there any risks,

I apologise should this has been raised previously.
    Last edited by troyvdh; 30-10-2013 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by troyvdh View Post
    just trying to simplify things .........a further question... what price would would one have to pay for a MEL should the return required be a more modest 6-7 %.Again are there any risks,

I apologise should this has been raised previously.
    6% div return, sp=0.105/0.06=$1.75, then take out second installment 50c, so will be $1.25.

Guru

Seems the "Bank of New York Mellon Corporation" have been buying a lot of shares on market. 72 million on 29 October. That is a large chunk of what did go through on day 1. They now hold 8.12% of MEL.

Advanced Member

Yes...that seems to be a huge vote in favour of Meridian and the strength of the NZ dollar.
    My very rudimentary understanding of economics is that printing money without associated productivity improvements leads to inflation. Eventually. The Americans have been printing a lot of money...for a long time. So I guess some high level of inflation is inevitable for them. And that will cause their dollar to devalue much further. So are US companies making investments such as this to hedge against the collapse of the $US ?

PS Good to see NZ Inc loading up on the stock. Not.
    Last edited by RTM; 31-10-2013 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Add

See if political risk does anything

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/poli...e-edge-in-poll

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by snapiti View Post
    I might vote labour just to get the price down on MEL and MRP, I wonder if I could be done for market munipulation if I vote labour LOL
    No but you might be sent to the insane asylum!
    Free delivery worldwide with Book Depository http://www.bookdepository.co.uk

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by snapiti View Post
    I might vote labour just to get the price down on MEL and MRP, I wonder if I could be done for market munipulation if I vote labour LOL
    No..but you may get lynched by the dividend hunters when Labgreenour regulates the power price and the power companies have no option but to slash their dividends.

So the div returned previously to the NZ Govt is now being diverted to Uncle Sam, couldn't think of a nicer recipient, might be able to spend a few bob updating his spying activities so he doesn't get caught any longer