sharetrader
Page 94 of 148 FirstFirst ... 4484909192939495969798104144 ... LastLast
    Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    Maybe it is because he is retiring and no longer needs to worry about it ?
    LOL!

Seriously I think he said it in the context of aluminium prices up 14% so far this year and transpower charging ?50 million less

Banned

Profit upgrade but looks about fully priced as not many buyers wanting to pay much more. 4 traders mean is currently $3.29.

On the doghouse

Default Dividend Imputed Tax Credit Sustainability: FY2017 perspective

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    Mercury Energy has a policy of paying out dividends based on cashflow. The following table is based on 1,400m share on issue.

Financial Year Declared NPAT Net Operating Cashflow eps Implied tax from Year's Operations Stay in Business CAPEX Free Cashflow per Share (by definition adjusted for Stay in Business CAPEX) dps Imputed Tax Credit Imputed Tax Balance SOFY Tax Paid Over Financial Year
    2013 0c
    2014 $212m $317m 15.3c 6.0c $60m 22.6c-4.3c= 18.3c 12.4c 4.8c 2.3c 6.3c
    2015 $47m $329m 3.4c 1.3c $79m 22.1c-5.6c= 16.5c 18.9c 7.4c 3.3c 5.6c
    2016 $160m $280m 11.6c 4.4c $60m 20.0c-4.3c= 15.7c 16.6c 6.5c 1.1c 6.4c
    2017 0c ?c
    Total 30.3c 11.7c 40.5c 47.9c 18.7c 18.3c

You can see in the above table that 'free cashflow per share' and 'dividend' are indeed closely matched. Over the period shown in the table (note that I have omitted the partially imputed dividend just paid out in early FY2017) all dividends paid to shareholders have been fully imputed.

I have shown the imputed tax credits on the books at the start of each year. This figure is of course 'topped up' by any tax paid during the year. So showing the tax credits on account at the start of the year is not really that useful as a stand alone figure. But it is useful in that it can show 'intent'. Why would you pay taxes in advance of paying shareholders (for that is what having a positive imputation balance means) unless you did intend to either:

a/ Use retained earnings for reinvestment (off the table as the major capital investment is done) OR
    b/ Pay those imputaion credits through to shareholders down the track?

On 30th June 2016 ( =SOFY2017) the imputation credit balance for MCY has effectively been reduced to zero (actually there is a small positive balance, which when translated to 'per share' figures rounds down to zero). My contention is that this is an indicator that managment are not too worried about declaring fully imputed dividends from here on in.

If you look again at the table you can see that for each of the years FY2014, FY2015 and FY2016:

1/the 'imputed tax balance' at the start of the financial year PLUS
    2/ the 'tax paid over the year'

exceeds the 'imputed tax credit' attached to the dividend of that year. This means that all of the dividends paid over FY2014, FY2015 and FY2016 could be paid as 'fully imputed dividends'.

Interestingly the 'implied tax due' from actual profits declared over FY2014-FY2016 (11.7cps) is rather less than the actual tax paid over FY2014 to FY2016 (18.3cps). My interpretation of that is that the company deliberately planned to overpay tax to create what in effect were 'fake imputation credits' to make the prospectus projected yields look better than they really were. If you pay tax without a tax liability then in latter years you can pay less tax than required, to bring your tax bill into balance and everything is hunky dory and legal. Nevertheless I would contend that the shareholder who invested assuming these fully imputed dividends would continue have been deceived. Not by Mercury, as all the information showing that such high fully imputed dividends could not be paid out indefinitely was there in the prospectus if you looked. Instead, shareholders were deceived by their own greed, that caused them not to look!

The final dividend for FY2016, paid in FY2017 and not shown on the table, was 8.6c imputed and 4c unimputed. The 8.6c imputed means that, so far, MCY has paid

8.6/0.72 -8.6 = 3.3 cps

in tax to the IRD subsequent to the publishing of their annual result and the payment of the first dividend in the current financial year. But the fact that MCY declared in tandem an unimputed 4cps dividend means that the previously calculated 3.3cps in tax is all that has been paid (so far). It also strongly implies that there is no intention for the company to ever pay tax on this 4c unimputed dividend. Finally the reason MCY will not pay tax on this 4c is that it isn't really profit at all. If it was profit, there would be a company tax liability. Since there is no profit, my contention is that this 4c 'unimputed dividend' is equivalent to a 4c return of capital, but with a tax bill added to be paid at the shareholder level. Now I personally have no problem paying my fair share of taxes. But is giving me some of my 'already owned' assets back, really a benefit to me that should be taxed?

Is paying that unimputed dividend prudent treatment of shareholders by the MCY directors?

SNOOPY

discl: hold MCY
    I give myself a 'D' for presentation on the above post. So I am going to attempt a somewhat less messy presentation of how sustainable the dividend the dividend might be going forwards based on the latest results perspective.

Financial Year Net Operating Cashflow (A) Stay in Business CAPEX (B) Free Cashflow (A)-(B) Free Cashflow (per share)
    2013 $286m $69m $217m 15.5c
    2014 $317m $60m $257m 18.4c
    2015 $309m $79m $230m 16.4c
    2016 $280m $60m $221m 15.8c
    2017 $372m $114m $258m 18.4c

Financial Year eps Dividend Paid (per share) Imputed Tax Credit (per share) Imputed Tax Balance SOFY (per share) Tax Paid Over Financial Year (per share)
    2013 10.5c 0c
    2014 13.3c 7.2c + 5.2c = 12.4c 4.8c 2.3c 6.3c
    2015 9.7c 8.3c + 5.0c + 5.6c = 18.9c 7.4c 3.3c 5.6c
    2016 10.1c 8.4c + 2.5c + 5.6c = 16.5c 6.4c 1.1c 6.4c
    2017 12.0c 8.6c + 4.0c(NI) + 5.8c = 14.4c +4.0c (NI) 5.6c 0c 7.7c
    2018 8.8c + 5.0c(NI) + ?c = ? -1.7c
    Total 24.2c 22.0c

Notes:

1/ The above 'per share' table is based on the 1,400m MCY shares on issue.
    2/ The 'imputed tax credits' relate to dividends actually paid in the financial year listed (it is normal for the final dividend from any particular financial year to be actually paid out n the next financial year).
    3/ The 'imputed tax balance' at SOFY is derived from note 5 (Share Capital and Distribution) from the respective annual reports.
    4/ The 'tax paid' each year is derived from the respective cashflow statements
    5? (NI) means 'Not Imputed'

Sample Imputation Credit Calculation

FY2017: 14.4c/0.72 - 14.4c = 5.6c

Observe that the actual tax paid does not generally equal the annual tax liability. That's because annual tax liabilities are met over more than one financial year. In the long term though, the actual tax liability and the tax paid should converge when added up over multiple years.

The 'imputed tax credit' is based on actual declared profits for the year and should therefore be available to shareholders as an imputation credit on any dividends paid up to that imputed level. This presupposes that MCY pay their own tax bill before the concomitant dividend is paid out to shareholders. However, if MCY do not pay their tax bill in a timely manner, then there is still a chance that shareholders will get imputed dividends. Mercury may rely on their 'piggy bank' of already paid tax credits in advance. This is represented by the column "Imputed Tax Balance SOFY (per share)".

Sadly this piggy bank of credits has steadily been emptying at 'annual snapshot' time, to the point that it was actually negative come the last balance date. From note 5 in AR2017 "The imputation credit balance is required to have a surplus balance at 31st March each year." Subsequent to balance date MCY has paid out a dividend (the final for FY2017 paid in the FY2018 year) with imputation credits attached. This implies that the imputation account balance has been settled up, and then some, well before the 31-03-2018 required date.

Nevertheless you can't go on and on paying tax in advance if the profits to support those tax payments do not arise. Yet, in the short term it can look like you are making you are making generous imputed dividend payments to shareholders that are not really there. I don't think shareholders should assume that annual dividends will ever be fully imputed again.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 29-01-2018 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Add dividend paid and 'eps' columns & cashflow table
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

I'll give you a 'D' for that post too...Good Dog
    You raise a very valid point and one investors need to be aware of. There are penalties for having a negative imputation credit account (ICA) balance at balance date so some of the electricity gentailiers are prepaying their taxes to make their gross dividends look better by fully or almost fully imputing them. How long this sort of creativity can continue for is frankly anyone's guess ?
    On one hand it has no immediate effect on profit as they simply transfer the amount prepaid onto their balance sheet as such but on the other hand as this steadily mounts up there are holding costs that shareholders are indirectly funding. That said most of these gentailiers can borrow at low rates so probably shareholders are happy for this practice to continue almost indefinitely ?
    Last edited by Beagle; 11-01-2018 at 05:19 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

I tend to think about imputations credits in a different way. The theory behind them is that the income only gets taxed once(aside from tax rate differences). So it really doesn't matter who pays the tax, as long as it is paid. If the compnay pays then it attachs credits. If it doesn't then the receiver(shareholder) pays. No net difference at EOTD.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dassets View Post
    I tend to think about imputations credits in a different way. The theory behind them is that the income only gets taxed once(aside from tax rate differences). So it really doesn't matter who pays the tax, as long as it is paid. If the compnay pays then it attachs credits. If it doesn't then the receiver(shareholder) pays. No net difference at EOTD.
    No problem for me either.My shares are jointly owned and my wife just accumulates more imputation credits than she can use.I guess the same would happen for many retired people with lage share holdings and no other income apart from superann

Yes for lower tax rates can be good. But really it doesn't make much dif.
    Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    No problem for me either.My shares are jointly owned and my wife just accumulates more imputation credits than she can use.I guess the same would happen for many retired people with lage share holdings and no other income apart from superann

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Dassets View Post
    I tend to think about imputations credits in a different way. The theory behind them is that the income only gets taxed once(aside from tax rate differences). So it really doesn't matter who pays the tax, as long as it is paid. If the company pays then it attaches credits. If it doesn't then the receiver(shareholder) pays. No net difference at EOTD.
    Dassets, I have to agree with the logic of your post. My point though is that not every investor reads all the fine print to allow them to be truly logical.

The problem, as I see it, comes in for those investors who think they will be getting 'fully imputed dividends' AND pay a price for the head share assuming this will be so. Those investors will get a rude awakening when they find their future dividends are not fully imputed, which means they paid too much for their shares. Mercury management in particular are issuing fully imputed dividends and there is nothing in the language around those imputed dividend payment release statements that suggest that fully imputed dividends will not continue indefinitely. A table like I have created showing:

1/ the 'actual imputation credits' attached to the dividends, verses
    2/ the 'actual tax paid' in the same period accompanied by
    3/ the ever decreasing balance of imputation credits already in the bank

is my tabular way of explaining that management's current imputed dividend policy cannot continue.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 12-01-2018 at 10:22 AM.

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    I'll give you a 'D' for that post too...Good Dog
    Remind me not to apply for the job of 'director of communications' at 'Anything at All Corp.' :-(

You raise a very valid point and one investors need to be aware of. There are penalties for having a negative imputation credit account (ICA) balance at balance date so some of the electricity gentailers are prepaying their taxes to make their gross dividends look better by fully or almost fully imputing them. How long this sort of creativity can continue for is frankly anyone's guess ?
    I am perplexed how having a 'negative imputation credit balance' is even possible at any time. Doesn't having a 'negative imputation credit balance' mean the company has paid out imputation credits they haven't got? Why are the senior accountants in Mercury not in jail for tax fraud?

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 12-01-2018 at 10:46 AM.

On the doghouse

Default BT1/ Strong (Top 3) position in chosen market: FY2017 perspective

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    1/ Significant Business Scale (Top 3 in chosen market)

Mighty River Power is one of the 'big five' gentailers in the New Zealand Electricity market. They are currently (31st December 2014 figures) number three in terms of customers with 19% market share (behind Genesis with 26% and Contact with 22%). They are also number three in terms of GWh of power sold with 18% market share (behind Meridian on 33% and Contact on 23%).

Following the decommissioning of the Southdown gas power station on 31-12-2015, MRP will have a strong line up of 5 geothermal power stations in the central North Island and 8 hydro stations on the Waikato River in the northern-cental North Island. The geothermal stations will run as base load, while the hydro stations, which used to be exclusively base load too, will assume the role of 'topping up the power' as Southdown once did. Consummate with this wholesale capacity, MRP, under the Mercury Energy brand, runs the largest power retail business in Auckland. MRP has a significant South Island customer base too in Christchurch and Dunedin. These customers receive their power from a virtual asset swap deal that involves Meridian Energy doing their South Island generating.

Conclusion: Pass Test
    'Mercury Energy', the former 'Mighty River Power' have a goal to be "New Zealand's leading Energy Brand". Mercury reported they gained a net 16,000 customers over FY2017. Mercury generated 19% of NZs power over FY2017 and supplied power to 14% of all retail customers.

End of financial year 2017 figures:

https://www.emi.ea.govt.nz/Retail/Re...ucture,p|1,v|3

shows that Mercury's sold 19.0% of power generated, only behind Contact Energy (20.4%) and Genesis Energy (24.5%), well clear of Meridian Energy in fourth place.

The tangible expressions of the 'leading energy brand' aim, can be covered in three 'foundation principles'.

1/ Well being of Mercury Energy people (measured engagement is now 81%, up from 79% the previous year) and customers (level of switching to other retailers is 17.8%, claimed to be the lowest of the big players). Perhaps some of the secrets of keeping customer engaged are 'Airpoints', 'Free Power days' (offered over the phone as part of the 'personal touch') and 'Fixed Price Contracts' to provide certainty. 34% of residential and 63% of commercial customers are signed up for those! Mercury have financially supported the development of the walking/cycling recreational trail along the Waikato River.

2/ Respect for "kaitiakitanga' (custodianship of equal resources). The Waikato river catchment, which houses all of Mercury's hydro dams, is ecologically monitored by Mercury. This includes monitoring of riverbed sediment and the riverbanks including downstream of Karapiro the 'last in line' hydro dam. Mercury keeps compliance with 121 hydro related consents and can mitigate the effects of flooding and droughts by controlling water release from the Waikato dam system.

"Kaitiakitanga' also covers working with the 'Waikato Tainui', 'Raukawa', 'Ngati Tahu - Ngati Wharoa' and 'Ngati Tawharetoa' iwi. These iwi relationships also cover the tribal geothermal resources harnessed by Mercury Energy in geothermal plant joint ventures.

3/ Making commercially astute decisions: Mercury have an integrated management approach to the operation of their hydro and geothermal stations.

Conclusion: Pass Test

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 12-08-2022 at 06:11 PM.