sharetrader
Page 115 of 148 FirstFirst ... 1565105111112113114115116117118119125 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,150 of 1478

My biggest fear in investing in one of the power companies is the current govt coming in an legislating against making profits etc. I think with all of the taxes going on fuel and landfills etc with investigations ongoing into petrol prices that the power co's must be on the radar of the govt.

Quote Originally Posted by cdonald View Post
    My biggest fear in investing in one of the power companies is the current govt coming in an legislating against making profits etc. I think with all of the taxes going on fuel and landfills etc with investigations ongoing into petrol prices that the power co's must be on the radar of the govt.
    Given that the govt is the biggest shareholder in GNE, MEL and MCY that would be somewhat silly of them.

percy

Bugger the power companies,you bugger the NZ sharemarket.
    Bugger the NZ sharemarket,you bugger the country.

yup, totally understand what you are saying.

I seem to recall that the Labour Party said at the time of the power company sales that they would cancel the sales when they got into Government? Not sure how they would do that?
    SCOTTY

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    looks like all the disappointed special div people selling out
    At current SP...MCY is $3.31 and MEl is $3.285
    1000 shares at MCY gives u dividend $91 and MEL is $113.80

i think the yield chasers sold out and move to MEL?

both good companies..well positioned in term of electric cars transition. But still, almost $22 per 1000 shares difference. So, I think would see MCY down a bit as yield chasers moving to MEL?

Quote Originally Posted by King1212 View Post

both good companies..well positioned in term of electric cars transition. But still, almost $22 per 1000 shares difference. So, I think would see MCY down a bit as yield chasers moving to MEL?
    Yeap, GNE up today and they have the highest yield. I think a lot of people use these shares as a bond proxy to get a decent yield.

Mercury or Meridian, forget which one in their analyst presentation had a thing looking at average retail price in N.Z. which is about 29 cents per kw/hr compared to Australia at 40 cents and the U.K. about 30 cents when you do the currency conversion. Retail prices in N.Z. according to the same presentation have on average gone up just 1.4% per annum over the last decade. Seems reasonable on a comparative basis. Not sure why people don't shop around ? (I'm paying 17 cents per kw/hr and have some price lock down deal until I forget when).
    Last edited by Beagle; 22-08-2018 at 05:51 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by King1212 View Post

did your comparison take account this is mel last yr of specials too? and i agree with the reasoning
    one step ahead of the herd

Advanced Member

Not true if you read the Ann the MEL specials have been extended another 2 years ...

Quote Originally Posted by boysy View Post
    Not true if you read the Ann the MEL specials have been extended another 2 years ...
    isnt that from 2020 yr? and only for another 2 yrs
    one step ahead of the herd