sharetrader
Page 30 of 148 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080130 ... LastLast
    On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by mouse View Post
    Which brings me to Meridian. Who have Wind Turbines. Why? What use are they? Apart of course from generating noise and killing off birds. But Meridian have Lake Manapouri, which in 2013 produced 4546GWh. How much are we getting for that bit of production? Why not 'mothball' all the Wind generators, and just sell the Manapouri electricity onto the main grid?
    Up until recently the cook strait cable would not have been able to cope with Manapouri coming onto the national grid. Even now, I don't think Manapouri is even connected to the grid down south yet.

I wouldn't be too down on wind farms. On a windy day in the capital, which happens often, the Meridian's Makara wind farm can power most of Wellington with minimal transmission line loss.

SNOOPY
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    Even now, I don't think Manapouri is even connected to the grid down south yet.

SNOOPY
    The power pylons you can see from your house marching across the Port Hills towards the Bromley sub-station carry wires that start at Manapouri.

At a presentation given by Patrick Strange the former CEO of Transpower during the time of uncertainty over the smelter someone asked if the Manapouri output became available to the general market would Transpower extend high voltage DC link futher south to Manapouri? Mr Stange said no because existing capacity was sufficient.

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Munroe View Post
    The power pylons you can see from your house marching across the Port Hills towards the Bromley sub-station carry wires that start at Manapouri.

At a presentation given by Patrick Strange the former CEO of Transpower during the time of uncertainty over the smelter someone asked if the Manapouri output became available to the general market would Transpower extend high voltage DC link futher south to Manapouri? Mr Stange said no because existing capacity was sufficient.

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn
    I cannot see how Transpower can conspire with the power generators to stop NZ having cheap power. Plus I look at the maintenance costs of both Geothermal and Wind and conclude they are much greater than hydro. I agree Mighty River needs back-up, and Geothermal is right for that. But Meridian surely should be able to make the best commercial use of its Hydro generation plant. Which means getting the Smelter to pay at least 6 cents a unit. And I am paying 26 cents a unit.

Guru

Which means getting the Smelter to pay at least 6 cents a unit. And I am paying 26 cents a unit.
    You are probably paying about 9c for power. The rest is transmission, distribution and retail.

It seems not many understand this for some strange reason. For this reason, Labours policy of having it split out on the invoice is probably a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
    You are probably paying about 9c for power. The rest is transmission, distribution and retail.

It seems not many understand this for some strange reason. For this reason, Labours policy of having it split out on the invoice is probably a good thing.
    It seems to me that one possible method of finding out what MRP or Meridian are actually pocketing for electricity is to divide their income by the amount of power generated. Any ideas on this?
    Last edited by mouse; 23-04-2014 at 04:38 PM.

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Smile But read the rest of it as well

It seems to me that one possible method of finding out what MRP or Meridian are actually pocketing for electricity is to divide their income by the amount of power generated. Any ideas on this?
    Page 2

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger
    om mani peme hum

Guru

I don't think that works as they also earn on the retail component (ie the admin to bill, collect and Helpdesk 100,000 of customers). And I think transmission/distribution is a cost of sales, so revenue includes transpower/vectors earnings.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
    I don't think that works as they also earn on the retail component (ie the admin to bill, collect and Helpdesk 100,000 of customers). And I think transmission/distribution is a cost of sales, so revenue includes transpower/vectors earnings.
    I went to a Contact Energy AGM a few years ago and asked afterwards, 'How much does it cost Contact to generate using hydro?' The answer was about 2 cents a unit on day to day operation. To which of course must be added major maintenance and depreciation. Maybe 1 cent a unit?

Quote Originally Posted by GR8DAY View Post
    .....yes I think so ROBBO. The best run up for sometime and set to continue........maybe as high as $2.25? Looking very well supported now. With the declared divi Im now happily in the black! Politics at play here Im thinking??
    I think the MRP buyback might have just dried up... Back up to $2.30 though, and a lot of sissy sellers have been taken out. Charts looking good. Interesting to see what happens from here given the very clear value in MRP at this price.

Quote Originally Posted by robbo24 View Post
    I think the MRP buyback might have just dried up... Back up to $2.30 though, and a lot of sissy sellers have been taken out. Charts looking good. Interesting to see what happens from here given the very clear value in MRP at this price.
    Where is the Paper Tiger?

They will know how much steam is left in the buyback...... right?