sharetrader
Page 42 of 148 FirstFirst ... 323839404142434445465292142 ... LastLast

Cheap Dino oil and CO2 pseudoscience will determine what happens here. If vehicles tend towards electric power the demand for power will eclipse our house drawn requirements hugely. Indeed if the climate soothsayers convince policymakers, vehicles will far surpass house consumption.Making some rough assumptions like a car needs 10KwH per day to drive to work and back I can only see consumption skyrocket and unless efficiency of solar panels gets past 30-50% (currently 13-16% ), a roof worth of solar panels aint gonna power your home and two cars! The battery tech I see as being more important than the solar development here as transport will consume bucketloads compared to house lighting and pushing refrigerant round pipes. China is subsidising their solar panel production to push economic development for many reasons...it will be interesting to see in ten or 15 years how many electric cars are on the road here. Indeed within a generation, dino juice sippers may be all but an expensive boys toy to annoy your neighbours with...let alone the CO2 tax bill that you have to stump up with at the pump to fill the tank. just my 2c and im a holder...how long till we get the bonus shares

May 2015 when the bonus shares are issued - if you held for 2 years??
    Is the price likely to drop when issued barring everything else being equal, then hopefully climb back again - otherwise sort of negates the bonus issue - except of course the bigger dividend on the increased number of shares you now have.

Guru

Solar and electric cars aren't the perfect match because most cars are away from home while the sun shines. The car therefore can be used as solar storage.

Huge generalisation I know - esp since my wife is a stay at home mum and toy (gas guzzler) is parked at home 99% of the time since I bus to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    May 2015 when the bonus shares are issued - if you held for 2 years??
    Is the price likely to drop when issued barring everything else being equal, then hopefully climb back again - otherwise sort of negates the bonus issue - except of course the bigger dividend on the increased number of shares you now have.
    Not sure, whether I expect any impact on the share market when the bonus shares are distributed. Remember - these are not new shares (i.e. no dilution), but existing shares currently hold by the crown. Moving them to another owner shouldn't impact on the SP (unless everybody would try to sell them on the first day), it just moves some more future divvies from the crown to private owners.

Guru

Possible weakness after the bonus shares allocated as holders can now sell without losing their 'bonus'. Should only be minor.

There will be a bigger impact with MEL as holders need to access cash to pay for the balance of the installment receipts.

As I understand it, electric cars will be used as a giant energy storage system. So they are all plugged in for a charge, but are also available for 'top up' to the power grid from the vehicle batteries. So producing a situation where 'cheap' electricity can be stored at no cost to the electricity generators. This situation will of course require a very large take-up of battery powered vehicles.
    The point then being that low cost hydro will be very profitable.

Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by mouse View Post
    As I understand it, electric cars will be used as a giant energy storage system. So they are all plugged in for a charge, but are also available for 'top up' to the power grid from the vehicle batteries. So producing a situation where 'cheap' electricity can be stored at no cost to the electricity generators. This situation will of course require a very large take-up of battery powered vehicles.
    The point then being that low cost hydro will be very profitable.
    Really? I can't imagine many car owners voluntarily draining their batteries for the good of the national grid and taking to their feet/bikes! Unless, of course, there's some huge monetary carrot offered to them to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Really? I can't imagine many car owners voluntarily draining their batteries for the good of the national grid and taking to their feet/bikes! Unless, of course, there's some huge monetary carrot offered to them to do so.
    Perhaps with demand based pricing, you could conceivably charge your car when KWh rates are low, and use any surplus charge left in the vehicle to offset higher KWh pricing during periods of peak demand. Taking this further, with micro generation you could conceivably generate power off your PV/wind turbine etc. off peak, store that energy in the vehicle, and then sell it back onto the network.
    Last edited by Zaphod; 28-08-2014 at 02:11 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
    Perhaps with demand based pricing, you could conceivably charge your car when KWh rates are low, and use any surplus charge left in the vehicle to offset higher KWh pricing during periods of peak demand. Taking this further, with micro generation you could conceivably generate power off your PV/wind turbine etc. off peak, store that energy in the vehicle, and then sell it back onto the network.
    It could work - get home from work and you house drains the remains of your battery during the peak evening period and then recharges it overnight during the off peak period (using base load hydro and geothermal). The issue what if you want to use your car that night? Do you have to push a button each night to opt into it being drained (or opt out should you want to use it)? OK for plug in hybrids (which have an petrol engine back up) but not for full EV's. The fact is that most will be programmed to charge as fast as possible as soon as plugged in as that is the requirement to ease range anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
    Possible weakness after the bonus shares allocated as holders can now sell without losing their 'bonus'. Should only be minor.

There will be a bigger impact with MEL as holders need to access cash to pay for the balance of the installment receipts.
    Yes, agree. But i'm not the only MEL holder probably to have provided ab initio for the cash call next year. For such holders the income impact just substitutes the then dividend for the relevant fixed bank rate. I expect a small uplift in income, but haven't considered tax adjustments.
    The more important reasons to then reconsider investments across the Natsis flogged off group {MRP, MEL, GNE} and others such as VCT, TPW, IFT etc, remain much the same as originally, )& including the best proportionality to hold), imho.
    Obviously political considerations come increasingly to require attention this month, and we need some inspired guesswork. A large issue close in time must be the proposal (LabGreen etc) to interpolate a state electricity sole-purchase & redistributing agency (which might also have price regulatory functions). Contrary to predictable political hysteria from some quarters, it seems many people, some fairly knowledgeable, think such ideas could, or might be, be good. Some current holders will most likely sell out or at least reduce holdings to avoid sp falls from such policies. I favour the view of others who believe that even if the govt changes after Sept 20th, any new govt would require time, probably several years, to establish such a new regime, & therefore it would be a mistake to rush any disinvestment decisions. During such an extended interval the other interesting developments with wind, photovoltaic and battery or distributed network technologies discussed in the intriguing posts above may instead come to the fore, as they are all progressing much more rapidly than most people think.
    So it seems currently rational to hold, maybe for another year or two, as long as we are alert for any reductions in currently projected or anticipated dividend yields.
    But with our NZ political system, i imagine there might be other ways in which a determined government, new or old, could possibly regulate to get consumer bills reduced; so it might also be rational to fear the possibility of another Chorus-type interference somewhere over the horizon...

[Disc. hold interests in all the companies mentioned]