sharetrader
Page 48 of 148 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by IAK View Post
    With Meridian and Contact reducing the solar buyback rates, it now seems far more sensible to invest in the power companies and use the dividends to subsidise the power bills.
    makes the whole financial argument around getting solar even less so
    one step ahead of the herd

Guru

Apart from demand being greater than supply, does anyone know what is going on today? They have just hit $3.15

Banned

I think M/fool... aussies buying up large.

Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by gv1 View Post
    I think M/fool... aussies buying up large.
    ....and it's a bullish market overall.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11356672

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    ....and it's a bullish market overall.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11356672
    yes, of course. Thanks macduffy.

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    makes the whole financial argument around getting solar even less so
    Yes, agreed. It may still make sense for area where power supplies are either non-existent or unreliable, where PV/Wind turbines/etc. can be purchased relatively cheaply, or where the owner just wants to be self-sufficient and to heck with the cost!

I don't understand why the power companies would want to antagonize comcom like this. Very shortsighted action, in my view because they are almost forcing the governments hand on energy, warming etc.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by McGyro View Post
    I don't understand why the power companies would want to antagonize comcom like this. Very shortsighted action, in my view because they are almost forcing the governments hand on energy, warming etc.
    Imagine you're commenting on the solar power price cuts. I don't see why the power companies should have to pay anything - if a residential user wants solar then go for it but what right does anyone have to force a power company supplier to buy their power. It has to go back across lines on the grid and be redistributed. If Meridian etc want to pay for it on a commercial basis then fair enough but how does one persons choice to go solar equate to a right to force a company to buy your surplus energy. I can't make a supermarket buy my extra tomatoes from the back garden just because they sell a shed load of tomatoes to everyone.

And before people have a crack we've looked a t putting in solar a couple of times and I'm all for it once the economics stack up but I wouldn't factor in anything for forcing surplus power back onto the grid...

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by McGyro View Post
    they are now paying the average wholesale rate rather than more than they could buy it for on the wholesale market. Everyone who is complaining, including that little Sh!t Hughes knows this but is deliberately misleading the public. They want the solar feed in rate to be subsidised to encourage uptake. But a subsidy is making everyone else paying for you investment.

That ignores the fact that by redistributing locally the big retailers avoid transmission fees. With costs reducing for solar and batteries fast and energy from other sources going up the way of the future is with the customer not the retailers.