sharetrader
Page 62 of 148 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672112 ... LastLast
    Banned

My view has been that the gentailers were overvalued and I have been generally criticized for expressing it. I now think the gentailers are back to something like fair value, I won't be interested unless they fall further and become cheap.
    I can't see it happening but the future is unpredictable and to the extent it is known, included in share prices by professional analysts. Maybe I will be "lucky" again.

I was standing in the stock exchange, years ago, in Christchurch. You could pop over in the lunch time. The attractive girl wrote prices on the white board for all the stocks. Chap turns to me and says, 'it cant fall any lower, can it?' I mumbled hope not. But knew it must. Market Forces you know. Amusing if you know the drill. DONT PANIC!

Guru

With a great (or what I think is great) monthly operating report out from Meridian about lake levels, intakes etc, hopefully MRP will be reporting the same... also mentioned that electricity demand is higher than last year.

I thought winter would have helped, and it looks like it has helped Meridian, hoping the same for MRP...

Permanent Newbie

No useful information in this post, just don't have anyone else to talk to re dividend yields.

Well 2015 was good, just doing my tax return and I calculate a 10.5% gross yield on initial investment cost of $2.50. Admittedly special dividends won't be coming annually but yippee, something making me money at long last.

Makes you wonder if NZers are paying too much for their power.

Look at me an investor with a conscience or should I say thank you John Key for you neo-liberal ideas and diverting this income stream from the people of NZ to private investors. I'll make sure it trickles down after I have saved enough to be financially comfortable(could be a long way off). Good idea bumping up GST to reduce income taxes. As long as I keep reinvesting/saving I won't be paying any GST. Another fine example of the general population getting screwed over for the benefit of the more well off. Well done NZ it seems the last election showed how selfish and stupid the (disappearing) middle class can be. We get what we vote for.

Sorry last paragraph was added in as I am still angry with the result of the last election.
    Last edited by Aaron; 14-06-2015 at 08:32 AM.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    ............ Look at me an investor with a conscience or should I say thank you John Key for you neo-liberal ideas and diverting this income stream from the people of NZ to private investors. I'll make sure it trickles down after I have saved enough to be financially comfortable(could be a long way off). Good idea bumping up GST to reduce income taxes. As long as I keep reinvesting/saving I won't be paying any GST. Another fine example of the general population getting screwed over for the benefit of the more well off. Well done NZ it seems the last election showed how selfish and stupid the (disappearing) middle class can be. We get what we vote for.

Sorry last paragraph was added in as I am still angry with the result of the last election.
    I thought the middle class was growing, not shrinking.

On neo-liberal as an epithet - "Neoliberalism" has become a jargon word. It communicates very little other than to signify that the speaker holds a certain political view and might not be very fun to talk to."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/manawatu-stan...ong-for-labour

Red face Waa

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Look at me an investor with a conscience or should I say thank you John Key for you neo-liberal ideas and diverting this income stream from the people of NZ to private investors. I'll make sure it trickles down after I have saved enough to be financially comfortable(could be a long way off). Good idea bumping up GST to reduce income taxes. As long as I keep reinvesting/saving I won't be paying any GST. Another fine example of the general population getting screwed over for the benefit of the more well off. Well done NZ it seems the last election showed how selfish and stupid the (disappearing) middle class can be. We get what we vote for.
    Hey man, be careful you nearly broke my computer. My screen and keyboard almost become waterlogged with your tears

Anyway, you may find solace in the fact that at a fundamental level the Government still retains through tax a 28% share of all profits made by MRP. 100% of 51% plus 28% of 49% plus freeing up capital and not needing to borrow to pay for things... I wish I could keep 28% of the profits of anything I sold
    'I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversation.' - G B Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by robbo24 View Post
    Hey man, be careful you nearly broke my computer. My screen and keyboard almost become waterlogged with your tears

Anyway, you may find solace in the fact that at a fundamental level the Government still retains through tax a 28% share of all profits made by MRP. 100% of 51% plus 28% of 49% plus freeing up capital and not needing to borrow to pay for things... I wish I could keep 28% of the profits of anything I sold
    And to add to this, as a bonus, far less risk exposure to the tax-payer.

On a general note, the whole public v private debate is far more complicated than either side cares to admit.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Agree.Opportunity to top up on the uncertainty if one believes in a positive Tiwai future.
    Aluminium prices arent helping much with the speculation on Tiwai. Havent bought back into yet, the downward trend hasnt exactly settled but I did get some additional CEN last week so have a bit riding on Tiwai

Guru

I went for a night time drive down a new large subdivision. The street lighting was LED..impressive.
    It seems only a matter of time when replacements will be with LED's.
    Googled it and it seems LED lights use 40%-80% less power than Sodium lamps...
    Hmmm..... there's an awful lot of roadside lighting in NZ

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    I went for a night time drive down a new large subdivision. The street lighting was LED..impressive.
    It seems only a matter of time when replacements will be with LED's.
    Googled it and it seems LED lights use 40%-80% less power than Sodium lamps...
    Hmmm..... there's an awful lot of roadside lighting in NZ
    All great for new builds, however driving along the highways in the north island it seems we can barely keep up with basic maintenance, let alone a complete refit in the near future. Not sure if roadside lighting consumes a large amount of power relative to other usages like industrial or household.

In saying that, sooner or later if the cost differential is large enough (and the relevant barriers to change aren't too high) it will happen.