sharetrader
Page 82 of 148 FirstFirst ... 327278798081828384858692132 ... LastLast

But when there are batteries the value of the generation and the transmission /distribution will be drastically reduced. look overseas , solar is the way of the future,whether it be on roofs , in paddocks or as roofing iron. Its costs are reducing steadily, not going up .

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by horus1 View Post
    But when there are batteries the value of the generation and the transmission /distribution will be drastically reduced. look overseas , solar is the way of the future,whether it be on roofs , in paddocks or as roofing iron. Its costs are reducing steadily, not going up .
    I could be wrong, but I have yet to see a country where solar has caused so much 'pain' that power companies have become unprofitable and collapsed as a result...

Have a look at germany,Usa,and Au.If they dont get on board with new technology thet go down. NZ gen are not getting with the new technology instead trying to stop the changes.I dont own any Generators , the only shares in the sector I have are Flick.

Solar power is great technology and will become a bigger player in the future but if you are already grid tied its still more economical than solar and will be for a few years yet.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by trader_jackson View Post
    I could be wrong, but I have yet to see a country where solar has caused so much 'pain' that power companies have become unprofitable and collapsed as a result...
    There has been no big roll out with out subsidy, which is normally passed on to the poor suckers (I mean consumers) who dont have a solar installation. Just have to look to places like Hawaii where people are putting in systems 5x to big for what they need just to get the benefit of net metering, increasing the cost for everyone else.

Going forward, I expect lines companies to change how their plans work so people are charged more based on their peak usage, not their total usage, since networks have to build for peak demand.

On the doghouse

But when there are batteries the value of the generation and the transmission /distribution will be drastically reduced. look overseas , solar is the way of the future,whether it be on roofs , in paddocks or as roofing iron. Its costs are reducing steadily, not going up.
    The key to your statement is that the need for the generation and the transmission /distribution will be drastically reduced. But not eliminated. While the need for a connection is there, Gentailers could change their pricing model to a fixed monthly energy charge, with incremental energy charges for the very high users. Such a charging system could render the marginal cost of power to the average consumer as zero. It doesn't matter how cheap solar gets. It can't compete against 0c /kWh! Don't think this is fanciful. Genesis Energy are already doing this in the gas market with some of their retail gas customers.

As for battery technology, how will solar installers compete with MRPs own in house super battery? Very long life, with no rare metals needed to build it. Integrated demand management between different customers. Ultimate green credentials. It is called Lake Taupo!

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 01-02-2016 at 01:00 PM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Or roads.....

http://www.solarcrunch.org/2016/01/f...road-with.html

Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
    That's all we need! Another mob digging up our already over-dug up roads!

I have yet to hear of the resource consent application for a 100HA commercial solar operation to be sited in the sunny Hawke's bay. Solar is not yet "commercially" viable.

Quote Originally Posted by axe View Post
    Solar is not yet "commercially" viable.
    Depends, if you are a small island nation using diesel to genrate electricity and someone else helps with the set up costs it can be a goer.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news...ectid=11319921

https://www.meridianenergy.co.nz/abo...stations/solar

Boo boop de do
    Marilyn