sharetrader
Page 83 of 148 FirstFirst ... 337379808182838485868793133 ... LastLast

Funny , I know tree people who have put it in and it is definitely commercially viable. They all are putting in more.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...cial-viability

"commercial viability" in Business English

See all translations

commercial viabilitynoun [U]

UK US COMMERCE

the ​ability of a ​business, ​product, or ​service to ​competeeffectively and to make a ​profit:

Three individuals putting in solar does not make it "commercially viable" in my opinion. If solar was "commercially viable" a business would be putting in a large solar array in the hawkes bay (making the most of the top sunshine hours in NZ) and benefiting from economies of scale. As I am not aware of any business doing so my opinion is solar is not currently commercially viable. ( it may happen in the future)

On an individual household level solar can be viable but it really depends of the ROI the person putting in the solar is willing to accept.
    Last edited by axe; 02-02-2016 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Munroe View Post
    Depends, if you are a small island nation using diesel to genrate electricity and someone else helps with the set up costs it can be a goer.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news...ectid=11319921

https://www.meridianenergy.co.nz/abo...stations/solar

Boo boop de do
    Marilyn
    You are quite correct that if you are a small flat island nation with no large hydro network in place then solar might be the option for you. Luckily in NZ have lots of rainfall and mountainous terrain and gravity is our friend.

I don't know whether our posts on this are relevant to MRP any more - maybe there should be a new thread ??

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by axe View Post
    You are quite correct that if you are a small flat island nation with no large hydro network in place then solar might be the option for you. Luckily in NZ have lots of rainfall and mountainous terrain and gravity is our friend.
    Solar is set to become a more and more competitive option for those completely off the grid.

For those on the grid, private solar generation will be tolerated by the big players. But if it starts to gain a significant presence, then the big players will change the rules to render it less economic. Meridian has already started along this path by reducing the amount it is prepared to pay for power you feed back into the grid once you generate a certain "ceiling amount" of energy. Further reduction in net payments will be made in the future to ensure that private solar will never be competitive with energy suppplied by the major gentailers, MRP included.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 02-02-2016 at 03:13 PM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

And that means that more and more go off grid. Have a look at fuel cell advances which will make it more probable . The real problem is that NZ is pursuing policies that are from the past compared with overseas where policies are more and more directed to minimising greenhouse gas's, and I am not from the left.

Hi Horus, 80% of our energy in NZ comes from renewables. In the US its just 13%. Greenhouse gas production is not really an issue for us. As a result, its very hard to sell solar on environmental grounds in NZ.

Solar is uneconomical. People get it for the feel good factor and that's fine by me, it's their money. I just hope one day it doesn't become my money subsidising their decisions.

Guru

Snoop - off grid is a whole separate issue and in part depends on the cost to hook up to the grid (ie. if you are a $100k install away from the grid, then solar is already economic).

Snoop - I think we will also see changes in the way lines charges are calculated as the misalignment of solar to peak is a major issue for them.

Horus - Other countries are using huge subisidies. Sure it is reducing greenhouse gasses (if they get lots of power from coal etc) but at a big cost to the consumer. From the (little) I have read, most areas taht have low cost power is a result of large hydro schemes. If you were from the left, you would argue we are getting ripped off for our hydro power but if prices did drop, that would just make solar even more uneconomic.

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
    Snoop - I think we will also see changes in the way lines charges are calculated as the misalignment of solar to peak is a major issue for them.
    Harvey let's be clear what I am suggesting will happen to NZ power consumers of the future. All consumers linked up to the grid will get:

1/ a fixed line charge (as they do now - goes to local lines company) plus
    2/ a fixed energy charge (brand new - goes to gentailer) , plus (if they use one heck of a lot of power)
    3/ a variable energy charge on top of that (also goes to gentailer).

However most consumers won't use enough power to get into that variable energy cost band. So for most consumers the power bill will be fixed, regardless of the amount of energy they use. With this type of charging system, putting your own solar panels on the roof would replace energy that you are already paying for anyway. So the net benefit of putting panels on your roof will be absolutely nothing! The solar panel market in New Zealand would collapse under this pricing scenario.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 02-02-2016 at 06:39 PM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

The discussion on electricity usage is based upon existing electricity usage. What is certain is that in the future consumers will use much more electricity, for example for air conditioning and electric vehicles. We will certainly save what we can, but not until we see people in the country areas disconnecting from the grid and using solar instead will there be any reason to be concerned.
    What does concern me is a closing share price of $2.60 today. Why?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mouse View Post
    The discussion on electricity usage is based upon existing electricity usage. What is certain is that in the future consumers will use much more electricity, for example for air conditioning and electric vehicles. We will certainly save what we can, but not until we see people in the country areas disconnecting from the grid and using solar instead will there be any reason to be concerned.
    What does concern me is a closing share price of $2.60 today. Why?
    MRP has been quite volatile lately, more so than the other gentailers (I believe), I am not really sure why and haven't looked at the volumes, but they all seem to be a very similar drop at the start (either by a bit of alot) and climb back up to finish even or well above, or stay stable then fall off towards the end of the day...