sharetrader
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dunedin

Default Dunedin

To all members based in Dunedin

I am looking to set-up a syndicate to potentially lease some office space in Dunedin and set-up a bit of a trading office. With Dunedin's evident oversupply of available office space, I think the shared costs against the synergies that could be achieved would be worthwhile (a place to share resources, ideas, research and network with other investors).

Ultimately the idea here is to have like minded people in the same room to bounce ideas off. It doesn't matter what you buy or sell, whether it be forex or investing in privately held start-up's. There is no requirements or expectations, doesn't matter if you are retired or using your course related costs to buy some shares. If (like me) you are sick of spending hours in your home-office pouring through numbers - driving yourself mad, then this might be for you.

The costs of something like this is completely dependent on how many people are interested. I am happy to put together some examples of properties around Dunedin that are available and put together a proposal detailing the weekly/monthly costs associated with this - so you can make a decision. A quick search of trademe property in dunedin will highlight that with 8+ people, it is very affordable compared to other cities.

Either drop me a line through sharetrader or more than happy to catch up with anyone interested over a coffee.

Cheers,
    Hamish

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Ham001 View Post
    To all members based in Dunedin

I am looking to set-up a syndicate to potentially lease some office space in Dunedin and set-up a bit of a trading office. With Dunedin's evident oversupply of available office space, I think the shared costs against the synergies that could be achieved would be worthwhile (a place to share resources, ideas, research and network with other investors).

Ultimately the idea here is to have like minded people in the same room to bounce ideas off. It doesn't matter what you buy or sell, whether it be forex or investing in privately held start-up's. There is no requirements or expectations, doesn't matter if you are retired or using your course related costs to buy some shares. If (like me) you are sick of spending hours in your home-office pouring through numbers - driving yourself mad, then this might be for you.

The costs of something like this is completely dependent on how many people are interested. I am happy to put together some examples of properties around Dunedin that are available and put together a proposal detailing the weekly/monthly costs associated with this - so you can make a decision. A quick search of trademe property in dunedin will highlight that with 8+ people, it is very affordable compared to other cities.

Either drop me a line through sharetrader or more than happy to catch up with anyone interested over a coffee.

Cheers,
    Hamish
    Interesting idea. 'Affordable' is a dopey word dreamt up by some advt. agency and means nothing to me. However I am in Dunedin and semi-interested in your idea. Does anyone have any idea of how many sharetrade members there are in Dunedin for a start? Don't want to sound negative but 8 sounds unworkable to me. I imagine if numbers are that small chances are there'd be nobody there most of the time. Just my initial thoughts, and not really sure that it's for me, but will watch developments. You just never know. Even I don't.
    Last edited by fungus pudding; 05-10-2013 at 07:07 AM.

-aholic

any chance of reviving this idea??

think this idea died natural death ...Group communication can be done from the comfort of your home...no need to rent a cold old office block to workout what to buy

-- forums(sharetrader,Hotcopper,sharescene etc) more Private.....set-up facebook page etc
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

-aholic

Quote Originally Posted by JBmurc View Post
    think this idea died natural death ...Group communication can be done from the comfort of your home...no need to rent a cold old office block to workout what to buy

-- forums(sharetrader,Hotcopper,sharescene etc) more Private.....set-up facebook page etc

Agreed.. but as i am starting out to get into getting on with the forums here (something i should've done a long time ago) i find it very difficult to keep up with whats going on and sift through old information to find answers to questions i've had.. a networking opportunity with other members seems great to get up to speed with everyone ... perhaps the idea should move towards some occasional meet up with sharetrader members around here..

Yes understood there is the odd ST meetings in the cities Auck,welly,chch .......nothing that I know of down here in the deep south
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

percy

I was in lovely Dunedin last week selling my books to schools.I come down about this time every year.
    Next year I will let you know when I am coming down, and perhaps we can organise something.
    Usually meeting at 5.30 pm and having a meal works well,with others coming along at about 7pm.
    The big surprise is the number of non sharetraders who come along.
    Ps I go to Wanaka in October.

sounds good ...bout time the deep south gets a meeting

Default NZ Shareholder Association in Dunedin: 27. July, 5.30, ToiTu Otago Settlers Museum

This is a late afternoon event with information for share holders about the NZSA

http://www.nzshareholders.co.nz/file...go%20flyer.pdf

Presentations given by

• Peter Mence (CEO, Argosy Property)
    • John Hawkins (National Chairman, NZSA) and
    • Alan Clarke (CEO, Hellaby Holdings Ltd)

If you live in or close to Dunedin (or just happen to be there) - why not pop by and talk with and listen to the people for of the New Zealand Share Holder Association - they are an independent voice for retail shareholders (and for many retail investors the only voice they've got) at AGM's and around company boards!

Plan for roughly 90 minutes. Attendance is free. It would help however (for catering purposes) if you register in advance at http://www.nzshareholders.co.nz/

We hope to see you there ...
    Last edited by BlackPeter; 25-07-2016 at 09:32 AM. Reason: fixed NZSA url ...
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Default Dunedin, Edgar Centre, 12. Oct from 5.30pm: Dean Anderson talks about Smartshares

This is an event organised by the NZSA South Island Branch in Dunedin - 12. October 2017, 5.30pm:

Summary taken off the September issue of the "Southern Equity":

Dean Anderson, NZX Smartshares Product Manager, has been invited to talk about Smartshares. The
    Smartshares are ETFs that is, Exchange Traded Funds tradable directly with the NZX.
    The concept in broad terms is that ETFs buy into a segment of the stock market on behalf of
    their clients – people such as you or me.
    ETF's are promoted as a cheap and relatively safe way of entering the Sharemarket, which
    is why it is so attractive to younger people. However, they are also a way for investors to spread their
    risk, for example, one might hold most shares in NZ listed companies, by taking up some of the options
    available with ETFs one can invest in a range of overseas options.
    Venue is the Edgar Sports Centre, 116 Portsmouth Drive, Andersons Bay Inlet. Doors open 5.30
    pm and the presentation starting about 5.45 pm, concluding around 7.00 pm.
    NZSA Members’ partners or their teen-age (and older) offspring should be encouraged to attend.
    Non-members welcome. No cover charge.

PM me if you need further information.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)