sharetrader
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scam warning

AWOL

Default Scam warning

Two days ago my wife received a phone call. "This is Microsoft calling - your computer has been hacked.") Innocently enough she then proceeded with the directions on how to install a keylogger and give them remote access to her computer, the net result being two payments of 471.57 on her credit card. I luckily arrived on the scene to see the mouse pointer doing gymnastics all over the screen which set off all the alarm bells. A quick tablet search found
    AAMYYand LOGMEIN to be scams and the phone number was obtained from facebook we think. I might add that she has recently bought a second hand laptop so it was already compromised.
    180 dollars later after getting the computer cleaned out, a new credit card and getting payments stopped life has returned to a reasonable facsimile of its former self.

To all Sharetraders:
    First Commandment

MICROSOFT WILL NEVER MAKE AN UNSOLICITED CALL TO YOU REGARDING YOUR COMPUTER STATUS

Please advise all associates, wives, mistresses, colleagues, friends accordingly.
    You have been warned and please advise to this post for any other scams you may be aware of.
    Last edited by Minerbarejet; 09-10-2013 at 08:24 PM.

Banned

We get them all the time, I like to taunt them, which computer, which programme, act like a complete moron and waste 30 minutes of their time, it's fun.

AWOL

Quote Originally Posted by Skol View Post
    We get them all the time, I like to taunt them, which computer, which programme, act like a complete moron and waste 30 minutes of their time, it's fun.
    Thats what I do sometimes - the other one is to say about ten seconds after they start up " I' m sorry, the number you have dialled is unavailable at this time. Finish the call with a loud blast from a referees whistle.
    Or if you cant get a word in edgeways just walk away and carry on with the dishes.

Cool

My (13 year old) nephew gets the calls, and when they start talking about windows, he says 'Yes we have windows, they are double-glazed!'

percy

My wife tells then that unfortunately our computer has been repossessed.

Try searching reverse nigerian scam or reverse 419. There are people out there going to great lengths to scam the scammers. Some very elaborate and humorous tricks they play on would be scammers.

Bugger those nasty hackers have got in Adobe and stolen mu specially encrypted password

I need to visit their website to reset it, made it easy for me by providing the link

Bugger those nasty hackers have got in Adobe and stolen mu specially encrypted password

I need to visit their website to reset it, made it easy for me by providing the link

Have some fun. Keep a decent whistle by the phone. Had a call from one of them just last night. A couple of hard whistle blows and they hang up.

If you have caller id, it's pretty easy to pick them, the number is quite different, this was last night's: 03 261 720000. He has earache today.

Or, with caller id, answer pleasantly with (your home town name) police station. Suddenly the line goes dead. Or string them along, then tell them you're not sure about something they want to do, you'll just get Constable xyz...

The longest I've managed is 20 minutes on speaker, whilst I went about the house tidying up. Then I said I didn't have a computer. Someone got very upset as I laughed my head off. He moaned I had wasted his time!
    Last edited by karen1; 10-10-2013 at 10:42 PM.

AWOL

Best I had the temerity and presence of mind was, " Hey thees ees a Tony, you want a peeetza I giva youa peetza, you giva me youra number I deeelever youa peetza, OK
    Crash as the phone goes down

Banned

The big brothers are watching, good to have unlisted numbers.

Being an IT guy I actually love it when these guys call me. While they are spinning their bu****it, I start up a virtual machine on my computer and change my router settings to forward the remote traffic they use to the virtual machine. Once they are in there they try launch Internet explorer, but I've tampered with the virtual computer so they can get into it but not get onto the internet its great fun as they try explain to me something is wrong with my computer and I just play dumb. I usually end by saying "oh if you're in my computer right now you can fix it for me and send me the bill. I'm going to go to the shops". Then I just wait on speaker phone listening to them getting very frustrated.

I think I need a better hobby..

Update Ready To Install

Heeheehee thats a classic ; party pooper; i envy your tech savvy. Lotsa fun thanks all.

Here is a link to a few but looks like this site has been hacked as well
    http://fraudnet.info/forum/viewforum.php?id=2
    I got referred by a friend who said he made lots from Patrick who had brokered him Zinga opts that where going to convert to Facebook shares. Patrick said he was from Wilkinson Bennings Securities,Singapore address.On google maps I worked out it was a virtual office and he was likely calling from Phillipines>Patrick was rather persitent. He said he would even loan me the money to buy the Zinga opts without security !Patrick gave up ringing me twice a day when I managed to keep him talking for 45 min at a time for a week.Lots of fun but sadly friend had got suckered.Worst thing was friend was referring Patrick on to other friends & relatives.
    Sadly I haven't heard lately but no one has got any money back from Patrick
    Last edited by kiora; 12-12-2013 at 02:30 AM. Reason: addition

Seem to have switched from Microsoft to saying they are from either Chorus or Spark now.

My wife got a call at home saying there is a problem with your Broadband and computer and you need to fix it. Told them she did not have time at present, could hardly understand the caller, he thought she said have you got time and had to repeat again No I have not got time and then hung up