sharetrader
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scam warning

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Seem to have switched from Microsoft to saying they are from either Chorus or Spark now.

My wife got a call at home saying there is a problem with your Broadband and computer and you need to fix it. Told them she did not have time at present, could hardly understand the caller, he thought she said have you got time and had to repeat again No I have not got time and then hung up
    They say some are really professional sounding ,but all 3 we have gotten in the last few weeks were amateurish to the point of ridiculous.--2 from microsoft---1 from chorus -- (they would have had a better chance if they were touting free trips to India)

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    They say some are really professional sounding ,but all 3 we have gotten in the last few weeks were amateurish to the point of ridiculous.--2 from microsoft---1 from chorus -- (they would have had a better chance if they were touting free trips to India)
    I had a call from a "Private Number" from someone claiming they were with "Telstra" telling me that my NBN broadband access was about to be terminated unless I made an immediate payment. He seemed to get annoyed when I broke into giggles.

Amateur Hour - maybe he used the Oz script in error.

To be honest, only my inlaws and parents ring me legitimately on my land line rather than my cell - anyone else is 'cold calling' and worthy of a good deal of suspicion.
    Last edited by Rep; 07-10-2015 at 12:17 PM.

Scam that is reported in NZHerald today is the same I received 2mths ago. Very professional literature and web site would fool a lot of people. Passion Princess Tours.....I won 2nd prize Cash USD$165,000! There were only 2 of these prizes and when he was advised that my brother had also won, sleeze ball advised that had never ever happened in the history of the company! I played him along for 10 days, finally telling him to fek off. I could not take anymore of his crap.

Advanced Member

I just called to see if I wanted to invest in Ferrari.......

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/investing/shares/11945847/Ferrari-flotation-scammers-join-the-party-in-renewed-bid-to-fleece-investors.html

The thing that I can't get my head around is they rang my business number and asked for me by name - but I've only worked here for less than 2 months...... and not publicised anywhere etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/investing/shares/11945847/Ferrari-flotation-scammers-join-the-party-in-renewed-bid-to-fleece-investors.html

The thing that I can't get my head around is they rang my business number and asked for me by name - but I've only worked here for less than 2 months...... and not publicised anywhere etc.

You on LinkedIn? Or listed in the Companies Office anywhere as a director?

I've had folk poking about looking at my LinkedIn profile and sending me invitations to connect from a city in the US that I booked on a site for a serviced apartment, I also get addressed mail from organisations that I have never dealt with... there are plenty of organisations building databases and selling them on a legit basis but a few will pass these onto less legit firms... once sold who knows where your details end up...

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

IRD know where you work, your bank knows where you work, is your companies payroll done in-house or out-sourced, have you mentioned it on Facebook, used a work email address, got a company credit card, how about your Kiwisaver provider, your dentist, do you have health insurance through work, the list goes on. . .
    Last edited by GTM 3442; 07-12-2015 at 02:47 AM. Reason: Punctuation.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTM 3442 View Post
    IRD know where you work, your bank knows where you work, is your companies payroll done in-house or out-sourced, have you mentioned it on Facebook, used a work email address, got a company credit card, how about your Kiwisaver provider, your dentist, do you have health insurance through work, the list goes on. . .
    Yeah a few of those. But also on LinkedIn as Rep mentions. Have a few randoms look at my profile.

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

FWIW the last crowd to waste my time came via data held by an employment agency.

I see Warren Buffett is starting to divest himself of his wealth to deserving recipients. (yes don't mock me...I am deserving!). Received this email this morning which seems promising. Comes from a website in Russia..I understand Warren is heavily invested there so makes sense.
    Your Attention Please,

My name is Warren Buffett and I have an urgent donationinformation for you which will benefit you and your entire family, with part ofthis donation you will be able to help the less privileged in your localcommunity.

Respond back to this email immediately so as to enable meprovide you with the complete information regarding this donation.

God Bless you richly.

Warren Buffett.
    Email: (has to remain a secret because you might not be as deserving as me)
    www.dividendyield.co.nz
    Conservative Investing and dividend producers...get rich slowly!
    https://www.facebook.com/dividendyieldnz

AWOL

Quote Originally Posted by BIRMANBOY View Post
    I see Warren Buffett is starting to divest himself of his wealth to deserving recipients. (yes don't mock me...I am deserving!). Received this email this morning which seems promising. Comes from a website in Russia..I understand Warren is heavily invested there so makes sense.
    Your Attention Please,

My name is Warren Buffett and I have an urgent donationinformation for you which will benefit you and your entire family, with part ofthis donation you will be able to help the less privileged in your localcommunity.

Respond back to this email immediately so as to enable meprovide you with the complete information regarding this donation.

God Bless you richly.

Warren Buffett.
    Email: (has to remain a secret because you might not be as deserving as me)
    Looks pretty legit. Cant weight to get mine.
    Last edited by Minerbarejet; 31-03-2016 at 10:50 AM.

Advanced Member

Got another call yesterday, from a very proper sounding gentleman from Shanzhen in China. Something to do with SpaceX. Hung up as soon as I said I have less than zero interest.

Guru

Got another call yesterday, from a very proper sounding gentleman from Shanzhen in China. Something to do with SpaceX. Hung up as soon as I said I have less than zero interest.
    So thats what negative interest rates are all about

Guru

Recently Ive had about 5 different occasions where the gmail team has held back an email that contained suspicious virus stuff--they mentioned the names and of course I had'nt heard of any of them (the Gmail team was legit by the way) Has any one else had that happen ?---Its the first time ,and all in a week or so.

AWOL

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    Recently Ive had about 5 different occasions where the gmail team has held back an email that contained suspicious virus stuff--they mentioned the names and of course I had'nt heard of any of them (the Gmail team was legit by the way) Has any one else had that happen ?---Its the first time ,and all in a week or so.
    Its probably because you signed up for newsletters from India, mate.
    ROFLMAO

FWIW, this is the current A-Z of all FMA warnings...

https://fma.govt.nz/news/warnings-an...-fma-warnings/

Advanced Member

In a moment of madness yesterday, I bought a very expensive phone for $1. Great story about why they were doing this and I must have been half asleep. Brain reactivated at 2.45am and out of bed and onto the bank site. A transaction for over $400 on my account. This transaction is marked "Pending" so it should be stoppable Only sense I could get at this time of day was a voice cancelling my cards. The scammer is zuuvu.com and is said to be Russian but their address in Panama. Oddly enough, they only accept Mastercard and I normally use Visa but the Coop Bank issued me with a debit Mastercard recently so I used it. I'm hoping that the"pending" is evidence of the banks own security.

I got caught out last year sounds like same scheme cancelled my card but still got charged, I phone for a buck should have known better but hey you live and learn bet it will never happen again.

Hi Craic, where did you see this phone advertised.?

Advanced Member

Don't know now - probably on a news site. I read Daily Mail on line as well as the NZ papers and the danger lies in the small bits "Ten people who died of ferret bits" stuff. you go for a look and get bombarded with all sorts of ads and multiple "next" arrows. Some will deliver a months trial supply of pills for a dollar and then when you have forgotten, they bill another $27.90.

Advanced Member

Just a matter of advice for those who might be trying decide between credit cards, Mastercard or Visa. A year or more ago I purchased some pills for a dollar over the internt with Visa. When the card began to be charged more later, I went to Visa and cancelled the card. They reversed the amounts on my word that i had not authorised them. On this latest scam, the scammer only accepts Mastercard. Now I have been told by the NZ Cooperative Bank who issued me with the debit mastercard that they can do nothing as the money has gone from my account in spite of the fact that I notified them immediately. The scammer does not accept Visa - and I wonder why?