sharetrader
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    born2invest

Default What would you do in this theoretical example?

How to buy in a bear market

Say you have company ABC on your watchlist. You think it is a good company and would like to invest into it, however the price for you at the moment is a bit too high. You run some figures and come up with a figure of $10. Meaning, you would buy the stock if the price goes below $10.

It currently trades for $12.

Then along comes a down market, pushing down all stocks across the market. Stock ABC drops down to $9.90.

Since it is below the figure of $10, it is below your value to buy it.

However, in this case, do you risk it and continue to wait and see if the stock gets down to $9, $8 or even $7? Knowing full well that this correction down to $9.90 might be the lowest it may go and could never trade this low again, and within a few months more could be priced back around the $12 or even higher?

My investment approach is to find a value of it that will give me the required return and then buy below it, however I can see the benefits (and the risks) of waiting for it to drop lower.

What would you do in this theoretical example? Or what have you actually done in the past?

Guru

Does the Bear value effect your original value or is a Warren Buffet type investment (ie. Coke which is recession proof).

Why buy on a down trend unless a single peice of news could cause it to gap up (ie. PEB could Gap up significantly with another strong announcement).
    Free delivery worldwide with Book Depository http://www.bookdepository.co.uk

Veteran novice

I'm always a bit sceptical about "running a few numbers and coming up with a valuation." So much depends on a multitude of assumptions, the old "rubbish in, rubbish out" applies here! Followers of Morningstar would be familiar with their arbitrary estimates of value, causing abrupt changes in recommendations from Buy to Sell - and vice-versa - on the basis of their arbitrary "valuations". Not just them, of course.

I'd take any valuation as only one factor to consider and if the company stacks up otherwise, I'd be buying - BUT not in a downtrend!!!

Not advice, just a personal observation!

What did you do last time RYM went below your buy price ....whatever you did seemed to work

born2invest

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    Does the Bear value effect your original value or is a Warren Buffet type investment (ie. Coke which is recession proof).

Why buy on a down trend unless a single peice of news could cause it to gap up (ie. PEB could Gap up significantly with another strong announcement).
    Yes consider this ABC company like a Coca Cola.

Buy on a down trend because I'm not a technical trader and I think of companies and valuations as opposed to lines, candles and moving averages and all that jazz.

born2invest

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    I'm always a bit sceptical about "running a few numbers and coming up with a valuation." So much depends on a multitude of assumptions, the old "rubbish in, rubbish out" applies here! Followers of Morningstar would be familiar with their arbitrary estimates of value, causing abrupt changes in recommendations from Buy to Sell - and vice-versa - on the basis of their arbitrary "valuations". Not just them, of course.

I'd take any valuation as only one factor to consider and if the company stacks up otherwise, I'd be buying - BUT not in a downtrend!!!

Not advice, just a personal observation!
    If you don't come up with a valuation how do you know the price you are buying and selling the stock is a bargain or expensive?

Why not buy in a down trend? You cannot predict better than anyone what a stock is going to do each and every day. Trends consistently change.

born2invest

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    What did you do last time RYM went below your buy price ....whatever you did seemed to work
    I bought it.

I could have bought it cheaper.

That is what I'm trying to ask.

born2invest

Quote Originally Posted by KW View Post
    I learnt the hard way to never buy anything in a bear market. Doesnt matter what the "valuation" is as it will bear no relation to the share price, which will be dragged down with the entire market as P/Es are reduced. What once might have looked expensive on a P/E of 30 starts to look cheap when on a P/E of 20 but at some point it will probably be on a P/E of 10 and the market will still consider it not worth buying. Until the market turns, stay out of a bear market (unless buying shorts) unless you want to watch your capital going down, down, down .... Its better off in the bank earning interest. Additionally, if you have spent all your money buying shares at the beginning of a bear market you have no funds left to invest at the beginning of the bull, so you miss out on all the wonderful bargains available at that time. Far more lucrative to wait until the market turns.
    How do you know when the bear market finishes and when to buy?

No one can really predict the exact bottom

born2invest

All the responses have said don't buy in a downtrend, wait until it is all rosy and it's in a bull market.

However, this could be the case in the theoretical example and we wait too long as it is back up to $12.

Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by born2invest View Post
    If you don't come up with a valuation how do you know the price you are buying and selling the stock is a bargain or expensive?

Why not buy in a down trend? You cannot predict better than anyone what a stock is going to do each and every day. Trends consistently change.
    I do take account of valuations but it's only one factor in buy/sell decisions. One only needs to follow brokers' recs to see how these can change, often on quite minor developments affecting a company/sector/economy.

As for buying in a downtrend its a matter of subscribing in the past to expensive lessons in the art of catching falling knives! No doubt there were many "valuations" justifying buying the likes of Equiticorp, Chase Corp, Fortex, Feltex, Dominion Finance et al as they downtrended to oblivion.............