sharetrader
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kiora View Post
    20-thousand square metres sounds a lot,but that is 2 hectares.

But still sounds iffy?

https://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/BU24...+15+March+2024
    2 hectares a day

Ban seabed mining …I’m with KASM at the protest in spirit
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    2 hectares a day

Ban seabed mining …I’m with KASM at the protest in spirit
    Ban trawling. It does huge damage. Would be hugely in excess of that done in a small patch of sea floor mining.

TTR abandons seabed mining application

Couldn’t prove they wouldn’t cause any harm so walked away

Good news
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Good news
    I think you will find they are skirting process and will apply directly to the Government for fast tracking. This will be a test to see if the fast track process will be handled responsibly.
    If this gets approved it will be an absolute disgrace.

There is no way that a similar process would be allowed on land, but as it's hidden underwater, nothing to see here.

It's a minefield for Shane Jones, pitting one vested interest party vs another.
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Good news
    Always tough to prove a negative.

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    I think you will find they are skirting process and will apply directly to the Government for fast tracking. This will be a test to see if the fast track process will be handled responsibly.
    If this gets approved it will be an absolute disgrace.

There is no way that a similar process would be allowed on land, but as it's hidden underwater, nothing to see here.

It's a minefield for Shane Jones, pitting one vested interest party vs another.
    Jones has recused himself. Bishop and Brown will handle this. NZ, after six years of GRANTS (pun intended), will find this $500 Billion dollar ready to go project, rather handy. The IMF would certainly agree. There is a good precedent to grant unpopular large projects. Clyde comes to mind, and I don't hear any bodies moaning about the pretty cycle ways around Lake Dunstan that became a bi product.

Quote Originally Posted by Lola View Post
    Jones has recused himself. Bishop and Brown will handle this. NZ, after six years of GRANTS (pun intended), will find this $500 Billion dollar ready to go project, rather handy. The IMF would certainly agree. There is a good precedent to grant unpopular large projects. Clyde comes to mind, and I don't hear any bodies moaning about the pretty cycle ways around Lake Dunstan that became a bi product.
    And that's because Bishop & Brown are qualified in area of the necessary expertise. 🙄
    We will be an environmental outlier to approve such a disgraceful operation.
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Legend

And that's because Bishop & Brown are qualified in area of the necessary expertise. ��
    We will be an environmental outlier to approve such a disgraceful operation.

Must be some of those bl**dy precious rare & endangered snails elsewhere too then ? .. probably all distantly related and can be proven by traversing ancient myths & fables with a bit of DNA work tossed in

Quote Originally Posted by nztx View Post
    Must be some of those bl**dy precious rare & endangered snails elsewhere too then ? .. probably all distantly related and can be proven by traversing ancient myths & fables with a bit of DNA work tossed in
    How about instead if just posting frivolous, silly posts, admit the real problem is we don't know enough what will be being destroyed.

We know this is in an area that is a whale breeding ground & the habitat of the Maui Dolphin.
    We do know that ancient corals will be destroyed.
    We do know that not only is the seabed vacuumed up indiscriminately but also a plume if waste will be allowed to spread with the currents an smother a wide area of the seabed.

What we don't know is what else will be being destroyed with this activity. Ignorance is not a good basis for any decision.

Seabed mining is banned in most parts of the world for a very good reason.

How about instead if just posting frivolous, silly posts, admit the real problem is we don't know enough what will be being destroyed.

We know this is in an area that is a whale breeding ground & the habitat of the Maui Dolphin.
    We do know that ancient corals will be destroyed.
    We do know that not only is the seabed vacuumed up indiscriminately but also a plume if waste will be allowed to spread with the currents an smother a wide area of the seabed.

What we don't know is what else will be being destroyed with this activity. Ignorance is not a good basis for any decision.

Seabed mining is banned in most parts of the world for a very good reason.
    But, we never will know what we don't know. Ever.