sharetrader

Thread: Stop loss

Guru

Question Stop loss

I use D B but they are unable to offer a stop loss facility, are there any suggestions out there re stop loss facility as from where I sit it is a "must have" tool when investing, Ive incurred unnecessary losses to date and am tired of that!

d b has to be one of the most backward brokers around. how they get away with it, i will never know.
    asb is a bit better. they have stop loss, target buy(buy stop), normal buy and sell. they are still a bit primitive in that you cant have a sell and a stop loss on at the same time. that can be very convenient. probably if you have to go away, you are best to leave the stop loss on.
    other than that, you have to go off shore and get onto something like interactive brokers. the brokerage is less also. it could be a hassle setting it up but if you go down this route and you have to convert to aud or usd, our dollar is high now so you get better bang for buck.

I think you can set a stop loss using the trigger option. I use the ANZ service, but I assume DB is the same. See the "trigger when" section of this page: https://www.anzshareandbondtrading.c...placement.aspx

Guru

I think you have to call DB to activate the stop loss feature.

I Use ASB Securities. To place a Stop Loss order, you have to renew it every 20 days. Does anyone else use a service whereby you can set a stop loss and not have to remember to renew it (kind of defeats the purpose a wee bit I figure). Better still, does anyone know of a service that allows for a trailing Stop Loss?

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fineprint View Post
    I Use ASB Securities. To place a Stop Loss order, you have to renew it every 20 days. Does anyone else use a service whereby you can set a stop loss and not have to remember to renew it (kind of defeats the purpose a wee bit I figure). Better still, does anyone know of a service that allows for a trailing Stop Loss?
    The 20 day limit seems fine to me, surely you would be reviewing the positioning of your stop loss at least every twenty days anyway. To be honest , until i read this post i didnt even realise ASB had stop loss (how thick am i?) have been with them since the demise of Access brokerage , and made hundreds of trades but never even noticed the stop loss on the pull down menu

Dilettante

I use ANZ but do not have this option. Maybe I need to call them to activate like HS has suggested ! Did you have to contact them ?

Quote Originally Posted by cyclist View Post
    I think you can set a stop loss using the trigger option. I use the ANZ service, but I assume DB is the same. See the "trigger when" section of this page: https://www.anzshareandbondtrading.c...placement.aspx

Continuing on this subject - ANZ securities now offer "Trigger When price" option but only on NZX. Have just rung them to implement.
    What do others do if they are going away and will not have access to the internet to monitor stocks and/or do you just sell up if you are going to be away for ??? days weeks - how many?
    Hope for the best?? - a lot can happen even in a week

ASB offers it on both NZX and ASX, don't know why ANZ cannot and yes you still have to ring ANZ to implement it

Have not thought much about the next question, talking about ASX shares on the CHESS - is there any reason why you cannot buy thru one broker and sell via another online if for some reason the need arose without having to jump thru 20 hoops. The "register" is thru CHESS/Share registry not the broker is it not? Never tried it, but if possible could be a solution - messy to move your funds around etc, but for the odd occasion possibly Ok.