sharetrader
Page 27 of 58 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast
    El Toro~

Quote Originally Posted by snapiti View Post
    aussie unemployment figures just out....much more positive than expected.

A heck of a lot stronger! Seems every time 'parity' is mention the rate falls off a cliff

People look at currency as if it were a stock and assume a strong currency is bullish and a weak currency is bearish. This may be for capital movement, but economically, it is opposite. Strong currency reduces exports and weaker currency results in more exports.
    M.Armstrong.
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

These numbers are notoriously erratic, so although the market will pare their rate cut expectations, lets wait until we see next months & see if there are revisions or a reversal etc. You just need to look at the numbers of Kiwis returning. Net migration has dropped from around 35k p.a. to 2k p.a.
    Its probably an exaggerated sample, however its a reasonable indication of the issues around employment in Aussie.
    NZD actually strengthened further overnight. I would suggest we will see a surge through parity & that will be the time to jump in & buy AUD.

Quote Originally Posted by dingoNZ View Post
    A heck of a lot stronger! Seems every time 'parity' is mention the rate falls off a cliff
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Veteran novice

Just a reminder to everyone that there are two parties to every exchange rate. It's not just all about the NZ story.

El Toro~

Not just two parties... we all piggy back off China, eur, us etc etc

Guru

And we are back up to .9949, getting o so close to that magic 1:1 mark. Just wondering if this is the highest it has ever been. I like it for the novelty factor but my Aussie holdings sure are taking a pounding. Swings and roundabouts anyway, but it should not be long till we see parity if this keeps on going.

El Toro~

Lets wait and see how the AUS CPI data comes out at 1.30pm today, QoQ expecting 0.1%

Guru

Lets wait and see how the AUS CPI data comes out at 1.30pm today, QoQ expecting 0.1%
    Yep and as we approach parity... boom again an event that pushes it back down again. Good call dingoNZ.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    And we are back up to .9949, getting o so close to that magic 1:1 mark. Just wondering if this is the highest it has ever been. I like it for the novelty factor but my Aussie holdings sure are taking a pounding. Swings and roundabouts anyway, but it should not be long till we see parity if this keeps on going.
    According to a RBNZ file it reached 1.007 on 18th October 1973. Did spend a bit of time just under the 1.00 mark but that is the only day it went over (on reported daily rates)

On the same date NZ$1 got US$1.48 and GBP0.605

Norman Kirk was PM
    Last edited by winner69; 22-04-2015 at 07:41 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    According to a RBNZ file it reached 1.007 on 18th October 1973. Did spend a bit of time just under the 1.00 mark but that is the only day it went over (on reported daily rates)

On the same date NZ$1 got US$1.48 and GBP0.605

Norman Kirk was PM
    Cheers winner... before I was born I see.. that is interesting indeed, that we were at US $1.48 and to think in the 80's we were around the 40-50 cent mark vs the US (from memory)
    Pretty sure with a rocket under the NZD we can beat that 42 year old record!