sharetrader
Page 1 of 87 123451151 ... LastLast

Default ANZ.NZX - Anyone holding?

Hi all,

New member here (and recent arrival to these shores).. and I wanted to know if anyone else here has any holdings in ANZ? I bought in a couple of weeks ago and am since already down 8%... but I cannot figure out why the price has been dropping. There hasn't been any news that I have seen or any particular reason for the price to decline.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Take a look at the charts, you've got some pretty strong patterns in there from the last couple of years.
    You might need to average down to catch up to where you bought in at.

Why a bank? Just interested

I've never been too keen on averaging down.. a habit built many years ago, but I might be tempted in this case.

No particular reason for a bank, I just looked at the fundamentals of the company and decided it would be a good (first) investment on the NZX. Nothing has changed so I could be tempted to put some more money in, but in the past I have always been strict on cutting losses and usually sell if the price drops by 15%... I could be selling these sooner than I wanted!

Veteran novice

Several reasons here:

All the Aussie banks are a bit weaker than they were a couple of months ago. The usual reasons - SP's getting a bit rich; Aussie economy looking weaker; worries about an overheated property market; tougher capital adequacy rules may cause banks to cut/restrain divs to conserve capital, etc There's always a reason for some commentators to warn that the banks "good times" are coming to an end!

There was a strong uptrend in the period prior to ANZ going ex div. 91cps.

Disc: I've been accumulating the Aussie banks for over 25 years. Have an average cost for ANZ of around $5. Not selling at this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Several reasons here:

All the Aussie banks are a bit weaker than they were a couple of months ago. The usual reasons - SP's getting a bit rich; Aussie economy looking weaker; worries about an overheated property market; tougher capital adequacy rules may cause banks to cut/restrain divs to conserve capital, etc There's always a reason for some commentators to warn that the banks "good times" are coming to an end!

There was a strong uptrend in the period prior to ANZ going ex div. 91cps.

Disc: I've been accumulating the Aussie banks for over 25 years. Have an average cost for ANZ of around $5. Not selling at this stage.
    Good story Mcduffy ....testament to the theory it's better to own the bank than put you money in it

Like you I've had ANZ for years, since last century. I don't even count them in my share portfolio, rather as just a long term deposit.

The strong NZD hasn't helped mani over the last month or so either.
    Last edited by winner69; 17-12-2013 at 01:16 PM.

born2invest

Quote Originally Posted by mani99 View Post
    already down 8%... but I cannot figure out why the price has been dropping
    It's called volatility.

It happens occasionally with shares you know?

Thanks all... I think I may just stick with these for a while.

One other thing, can anyone recommend the best place to get company financial details? At the moment I'm using Yahoo and ASB Securities. In the UK I used a broker which provided extensive information, winners/losers of the day, most traded stocks etc etc.

Cheers.

I have been trading the Banks as well but ASX ones and the sector has gone up by almost 30% from June of this year and there will be lot of nervous hands that will take profit at this high levels. Even MQG Macquarie which is not part of the big four has gone up quite a bit. Both WBC and CBA are over 100B Market Cap a few days ago and even ANZ was about to join 100B club. Now only CBA is over 100B. Investors are waiting for some fundamentals to prop up this market for the next stage.

Yip, but bought in at around $25 a couple of years ago and haven't bought any since. I'm pretty keen on their Asia strategy. I was recently in Singapore and Vietnam and their presence there (well, ATM presence at least) was surprising.

You can always compare it to their performance on the ASX - http://nz.finance.yahoo.com/echarts?...rce=undefined;

NZ listing seems to have gone down more relative to the ASX listing. But then the AUD cross has weakened significantly in the last week or two (circa 5%) so this could be priced into the NZ listing (i.e. you are holding assets based in Australia priced in NZ Dollars, when Aussie Dollar weakens your holding is worth less).

Quote Originally Posted by mani99 View Post
    Hi all,

New member here (and recent arrival to these shores).. and I wanted to know if anyone else here has any holdings in ANZ? I bought in a couple of weeks ago and am since already down 8%... but I cannot figure out why the price has been dropping. There hasn't been any news that I have seen or any particular reason for the price to decline.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

http://www.interest.co.nz/rural-news...t-rate-swap-co