sharetrader

Threaded View

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    I think we'll have to wait and see on that. While HNA Group may or may not be more competitive than ANZ on the loan side in this business segment, HNA may find that it also needs to pay a little more for its local funding if UDC depositors become uncomfortable about the loss of the "moral comfort" of ANZ's parentage.
    Take a look at how UDC was financed at balance date Macduffy.

FY2016
    UDC Shareholder Capital $423.247m
    ANZ Committed Credit Facility $595.000m
    Debenture Investments From Public $1,591.711m

As a result of the purchase announced today, that UDC shareholder capital will pass to HNA.

From the Financial Report for FY2016 we learn that the amount of the ANZ committed facility was increased to $1,800m on 24th November 2016. (post balance date). That gives a headroom facility of:

$1,800m - $595m = $1,205m

I reckon that is more than enough to repay all maturing debentures until the deal goes through in the second half of FY2017. ANZ have agreed to fund UDC with a loan as low as 3% until the takeover date. Then the Chinese will be able to use their muscle to keep funding this finance company at unrealistically low interest rates until the competition cracks. The Chinese could continue a borrowing program in New Zealand. But with their own cheaper finance from offshore, why would they? I think it is all over for UDC debenture investors and potentially very stiff competition coming to other 'local' finance companies, including Heartland Bank!

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 11-01-2017 at 11:11 AM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7