sharetrader
Page 77 of 87 FirstFirst ... 2767737475767778798081 ... LastLast

Does anyone get any update for the upcoming dividends? I got the email from Shareies but nothing from ASB. Feel strange.

Quote Originally Posted by CCcc View Post
    Does anyone get any update for the upcoming dividends? I got the email from Shareies but nothing from ASB. Feel strange.
    https://www.nzx.com/instruments/ANZ/dividends

ANZ is my largest holding in my portfolio. Post COVID I viewed it as a good recovery stock. I feel underweight in Heartland.
    I wonder if I should transfer funds from one to the other.
    My thoughts-
    HGH potential dividend 11 cents fully imputed =11/0.72 = 15.28 cps on $2.05 =.7.45%
    ANZ dividends prior to COVID seemed to be a steady $1.60 + .18 imputation = 178cps on $31.14 = 5.72%
    HGH shares seem to have a steady upward trend with increased company profits each year.
    ANZ share price seems over the years to be anything but consistent.
    Would anyone favour one over the other at this time?
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob50 View Post
    ANZ is my largest holding in my portfolio. Post COVID I viewed it as a good recovery stock. I feel underweight in Heartland.
    My thoughts-
    HGH potential dividend 11 cents fully imputed =11/0.72 = 15.28 cps on $2.05 =.7.45%
    ANZ dividends prior to COVID seemed to be a steady $1.60 + .18 imputation = 178cps on $31.14 = 5.72%
    HGH shares seem to have a steady upward trend with increased company profits each year.
    Thank you.

I am holding both ... and roughly similar weighting in my portfolio. Comparing them - forward PE based on analyst estimates is quite similar (13.2 for ANZ and 13.4 for HGH). Forecasted earnings growth for ANZ is however basically zilch (ignoring the 2020 dip) - i.e. this is as good as it gets, while analysts think that HGH has quite some earnings growth potential (forward CAGR of 7).

Do I think the analysts are right? Well, sometimes they are, sometimes they are not, however - I would think that HGH has long term more headroom for further growth than ANZ has. ANZ SP is anyway behaving quite cyclical ... and obviously ... further growth is much harder to achieve for a large entity than for a smaller one.

Still - I think there is space for both in the portfolio, but if the time comes to sell, than I probably will start with ANZ :
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

I picked up both in April last year, HGH is 33% of my portfolio while ANZ is 20%. My % gain has been pretty close on both, recently HGH has pulled ahead.
    I like both and I'm happy with my position.

I hold HGH, WBC and ANZ, in that order of weighting. Overall, probably accounts for about 9% of my portfolio. As BP mentions, ANZ particularly seems quite cyclical, which is where increased return can be achieved - although obviously over the last year they have all had great buying opportunities. They were 3 of the few stocks I didn't bail on last year. I could have done better if I had, but made good top ups along the way. Happy to hold all 3.

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Bob50 View Post
    My thoughts-
    Thank you.

Bob50, I hold both ANZ and Heartland as well. But I don't see them as directly comparable. From an investment perspective I divide, the finance market into 'Tier 1' , 'Tier 2' and 'Tier 3' players which have different risk/return profiles. ANZ is definitely 'Tier 1', Heartland 'Tier 2' and something like Harmoney 'Tier 3'.

I compare finance sector investments within Tier groups, not across Tier groups. IMO ANZ is a far better banking operator than Westpac for instance (I have held both over many years, and have accounts with both). In Tier 2 I hold both Heartland and Turners (which I keep having to remind people is primarily a finance company with an automotive adjunct). I think the key thing in Tier 2 is to find your niche and be good at executing within it. Heartland and Turners are in different niches, although both are in the automotive loan market and that seems a good space to be. I see a bit more risk going forwards in the Reverse Equity Loan market with the Australian government emerging as a competitor. It is always hard to compete against the government! Nevertheless it is not a full overlap on product offering yet, so Heartland still has an innovative role to play. The transformation to a 'Fintech' for Heartland is both a risk and an opportunity. I back Heartland management to be agile enough to succeed. Turners are probably the more boring investment of the two. But they execute well and sometimes, particularly in finance, boring is a good thing.

Tier 3 investment in financing I leave to others. I get nervous enough with the Tier 2 stuff, and I don't feel I need to accept the risks on what are generally high interest loans to borrowers of dubious credit history.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 17-06-2021 at 10:09 AM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Appqrently All banking services across australia down. Bitcoin continues on as normal

you so onto the failings of the mainstream financial system CC

what I dont quite get is that Akamai, the Content Delivery Network that failed is only supposed to be caching , so if it goes down shouldnt the original source deliver instead? Sure it might be a lot slower, but it still should work - I would have thought.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....