Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
'cept that Honda 125 allowed them to get a job in some slightly further away place which meant they could repay easily and pay tax on their earnings.
Its their risk and by that I mean the bankers and the borrowers let them do it if they want to.

Quite frankly that story I saw recently about the couple suing the bank because they loaned them money which subsequently became too much, just sickens me. They completed the loan application and if they said they only needed so much to live then the bank should be able to rely on that.
I'm not saying bankers are perfect and in fact they tend to lend you an umbrella on a sunny day and want it back when it rains but it is private commerce!!
Yes of course. It's astounding how banks have been vilified. It's pure political populism - and every investor across Australia and New Zealand should be wary. It might be banks today but the Eye of Sauron can turn on what you thought was a safe little investment at any moment. "Nice little investment in the [Oil and Gas sector; Retirement Industry; Electricity Sector; etc etc] you have there, shame if anything was to happen to it".