sharetrader
Page 15 of 87 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast

I don't have an Australian bank account either. ASB did the work form me since I have a nominee account with them - one of the few advantages of having a nominee account.

Disc- Applied for a few

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    I agree it is definitely advisable to have an Australian bank account when investing in Aus shares - especially if you have quite a few.
    The only Aus shares I have dealt with are AMP and WBC - both were quite happy to pay $NZD into a NZ bank account. These are the NZX listed flavour of the shares however. It might be a different story if bought on the ASX directly.

Guru

ANZ are happy to pay dividends in NZD directly into the NZ bank accounts of their NZ resident shareholders. NZ residents can also make use of any NZD imputation credits attached to dividends too. All the more reason to enable payment for a SPP to be made in NZD, I would have thought...

Veteran novice

[QUOTEI suspect they did not consider the numbers of its (smaller) individual NZ shareholders warranted the effort of enabling payment in NZ dollars. Similarly they did not consider a Rights issue as being fairer to those individual shareholders who could not / would not participate in the capital raising. Indicative of a different attitude compared to the other Australasian banks who undertook rights issues?
    ][/QUOTE]

In principle I'd agree that renounceable rights issue are fairest to shareholders. Interestingly though, on this occasion it would have resulted in small shareholders paying the same price as the institutional placement, $30.95, rather than the SPP price of $26.50. As the "old" shares traded below $30.95 during the issue period the rights wouldn't have had any value.

ANZ management's claim that a rights issue would have resulted in a lot of small entitlements seems to be correct. Something like 1 for 35, if my maths are anywhere near the mark!

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCross View Post
    ANZ have been very aggressive in lending to business over the last few years....perhaps too aggressive if there's any sort of recession.
    There was a little blurb on Reuters the other day explaining:
    ANZ has a return on risk weighted assets (RoRW) of 2.84 percent in Australia compared with 0.81 percent in Asia, excluding its minority partnerships which it is looking to exit. The Asian RoRW translates to a level of profitability below the cost of capital, meaning the bank is destroying value.
    Its cost-to-income ratio is 44.7 percent, higher than its three main rivals - CBA, National Australia Bank and Westpac - and compared with 36.7 percent at its Australian franchise, reflecting high costs in Asia.
    I'd imagine they'll be getting back to their knitting soon.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Tomtom View Post
    There was a little blurb on Reuters the other day explaining:

I'd imagine they'll be getting back to their knitting soon.
    I always thought that their investment in Asian tigers was high risk - nice purring kitty cats bringing in comparatively good returns when times were good but wild cats showing claws and teeth when times became bad. At least for those who participated, the sp is still above the spp price.

Banned

This seems relevant:

The five macro forces driving bank equity flows
    1. Quantitative Easing (QE) initially feels good as low interest rates reduce loan losses
    and is expected to stimulate loan growth. After a while, however, ultra-low rates
    destroy the profitability of deposit gathering business (eg, look at China now) and
    excess liquidity has too flow into some type of lending and it destroys trade financespreads (eg, look at STAN and ANZ). As a lot of Asia enters this bad QE phase the
    US is exiting with higher US interest rates to restore banks deposit businesses.
    That’s good news for US banks.
    2. Tighter global bank regulation and the imposition of mechanical liquidity constraints
    slows credit growth. It becomes hard to grow loans faster than high-quality deposit.
    Further the looming imposition of the Net Stable Funding Ratio reduces the ability
    of banks to mismatch duration of loan assets and funding liabilities. Finally bank
    regulatory capital intensity rises. That’s feels very bad for Australia whereas
    countries like India and the Philippines still have structurally strong deposit and
    high system credit growth.
    3. Low system credit growth forces banks to pull cost lever through
    outsourcing/offshoring/digitisation/robotics/branch rationalisation. That’s likely
    good for high labour cost countries like Australia but ironically cost out initiatives
    require investment.

4. Rising bank regulatory capital intensity is bad for bank dividends, particularly in
    Australia where regulatory capital arbitrage activity has been high. The opposite
    holds true in the US where banks are already re-capitalised and capital generation
    will surge given restored deposit businesses, the eventual end of the
    litigation/penalty cycle and cost restructuring. In short global PMs should beswitching from still expensive Australian banks to high quality US banks. For
    example switch from CBA to Wells Fargo, WBC to JPM etc etc.
    5. Currency and interest rates will drive a reversal of global bank equity flows. The
    end of the artificial QE drag on the USD is profound as USD investor benchmarks
    created significant carry trades for investors.

cut from todays
    http://ftalphaville.ft.com/marketslive/2015-09-29/

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    I always thought that their investment in Asian tigers was high risk - nice purring kitty cats bringing in comparatively good returns when times were good but wild cats showing claws and teeth when times became bad. At least for those who participated, the sp is still above the spp price.
    The more you hear about the Asian operations the higher the level of risk taken appears for that diminishing return. That said the incoming CEO has indicated they're doubling down on the dabbling in Asia.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomtom View Post
    The more you hear about the Asian operations the higher the level of risk taken appears for that diminishing return. That said the incoming CEO has indicated they're doubling down on the dabbling in Asia.
    its the growth possibilities of course. Especially when you consider how growth gets harder and harder to find as globalism spreads everywhere.

Can anyone explain the sudden drop today? There was upwards preasure that suddenly reversed.

Is that just a response to the NZD?