sharetrader
Page 17 of 87 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767 ... LastLast

My bank friend said ANZ's china business was in a really really bad situation. bad debt is about 4.5%. (CBA is even worse but it's has less exposure)
    I am not surprised at all... if you know china's overall bad debt situation..

Yes, hopefully a good buy. Bought a further 600 last week before it went xd at 28.20. Up 3% today and a 95 cent per share dividend being paid out in December.

Let's hope the NZD reteats back to 80 cents AUS. Amazing to think that ANZ is bigger than all the companies on the NZX combined.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobdn View Post
    Yes, hopefully a good buy. Bought a further 600 last week before it went xd at 28.20. Up 3% today and a 95 cent per share dividend being paid out in December.

Let's hope the NZD reteats back to 80 cents AUS. Amazing to think that ANZ is bigger than all the companies on the NZX combined.

Agreed, I actually did pick up a few before it went ex dividend as well - seems like a good stock to be long on and buy on weakness over time...

Let the good times roll, Huxley

Really happy I didn't buy when it dipped to 33.50 a few months ago lol. Thankfully I bought HNZ for 1.09 instead. I don't see this stabilizing anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Corleone View Post
    Really happy I didn't buy when it dipped to 33.50 a few months ago lol. Thankfully I bought HNZ for 1.09 instead. I don't see this stabilizing anytime soon.
    I feel the same way about BHP which i tried to buy at $27 but didn't realize that I had to have first completed a CHESS securities application so the sale never happened. And now look what's happened. Still, buying at that price might have worked out really well over the next 10-15 years. We just don't know.

I have both HNZ and ANZ. As I say from time to time: HNZ is assessed as having a 1 in 30 probabilityof default over 5years with it's BBB rating and ANZ 1 in 300 with it's AA-. Never hurts to spread the love around.

http://www.rbnz.govt.nz/regulation_a...ks/3498179.pdf
    Last edited by Bobdn; 12-11-2015 at 08:15 PM.

Nice rally for the Australian banks this week. Great to see the NZD dropping as well. Some interesting points from the SMH, with a note of caution about ANZ. Still, I'm keeping them

"Stocks in the big four banks have rallied hard over the past week - harder than the sharemarket in general - prompting analysts to suggest the sector has bottomed.
    The reason for the bank rally was that the stocks were beginning to look irresistible after the falls, said Watermark Funds Management analyst Omkar Joshi.
    "There's been a lot of bad news that's been out there for a while - most of this year, in fact about capital and bad debt - and most of that has played out now," Mr Joshi said on Friday.
    Here are the main reasons Mr Joshi lists for the banking recovery:
    Capital raising done
    "Capital was one of the key concerns that was overhanging the stocks for most of the year. Now all four have gone ahead and done their capital raisings. That's finished now and the capital raising is out of the way."
    Raising rates has helped banks deal with holding more capital
    Each of the banks has recently raised their lending rates independent of the cash rate, and there's been little fallout from that, said Mr Joshi.
    Good asset quality - bad debts under control
    "We haven't seen a sudden uptick in bad debts," said Mr Joshi. "That's another thing that's comforted people, with the exception of ANZ. The other three are doing ok - bad debts are falling away." Having said that, "bad debts are probably going up."
    Shares cheap
    "When you look at both valuation multiples and the 7 per cent dividend yield for NAB and ANZ, they start to look pretty bloody cheap."
    ​... but be wary of ANZ
    ANZ's Asian investments were not going well, said Mr Joshi.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/marke...#ixzz3s4QHONt7
    Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

Hey bobdn quick question regarding dividends from ANZ - do they pay rwt for you or do they put the gross amount into your account and leave you to pay tax? No problems if you don't wana give tax advice on here I'm just keen to get general info! Cheers

Looks like I got the gross amount and no RWT was taken out. I borrowed to buy my ANZ shares so will be submitting a tax return anyway. I need to clear up a few things like what exchange rate do I use when working out the value of dividends in NZ dollars.
    Last edited by Bobdn; 22-11-2015 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobdn View Post
    Looks like I got the gross amount and no RWT was taken out. I borrowed to buy my ANZ shares so will be submitting a tax return anyway. I need to clear up a few things like what exchange rate do I use when working out the value of dividends in NZ dollars.

Thanks mate