sharetrader
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    born2invest

Lightbulb My Investment Journey- Since the Beginning

Hi all,

I recently read a book on investment psychology and it recommended keeping an investment blog/journal on all my thoughts and ideas about our investments in order to be able to look back and not let hindsight or outcome basis get in the way of logical thinking.

I'd prefer to keep it on an electronic version and thought it would be good to post here so I could get feedback from others on my decisions. I'll give a brief history on what formed my thinking and update it from time to time as I make more decisions.

Feel free to comment, question or just follow my "blog"

Thanks,
    Elliot.

born2invest

A bit of background on me:

- Live in Auckland
    - Work in logisitics/supply chain and been working going on four years since graduating university
    - 25 years old, male
    - Have been saving/investing since graduating and working full time
    - Follow Buffett type investing and use discount dividend model as main source of valuing companies
    Last edited by born2invest; 23-12-2013 at 03:31 PM.

born2invest

How growing up formed my investment ideas:

School/university:
    - Had to work very hard at school to keep up. My older brother and younger sister cruised through school. I had to get extra classes and after hours learning to keep up at school and university.
    - Was particularly good at science and maths. This led me in good stead analysing/forecasting and quickly identifying patterns and ability to grasp financial figures quickly.
    - School taught me to outwork people. I wasn't going to out think them at first glance, but working at problems for longer than others allowed me to do well.

Parents:
    - Parents were corporate employees working for large companies. They earned good salaries and held management positions before they have recently scaled back and now both work part time.
    - Taught me that if I wanted what they have, follow their path of corporate job, upgrade house every 5-10 years and get bigger mortgage to pay off. I thought I could do better.
    - They are both quite risk averse and have never invested into shares directly. Only investment is own home and company pensions (which now sit in term deposits).
    - Both were very supportive and taught me to go after what I wanted and to talk to the right people to get what I needed or wanted.

Sports:
    - Played variety of sports through school but was best at cricket (made and captained school and Auckland rep teams)
    - Learnt people skills, how to deal with different personalities and get the most out of people.
    - Most important skill I learnt from cricket was patience. I was an opening batsman played to my limited strengths. Some other batsmen of my age were extremely talented and could play a wide variety of shots on any deliveries. I could only really play 3 different shots well and had to be extremely pateint for the ball to arrive in those spots for me to do well. Slow and steady wins the race was my technique. This served me well in investing to wait for that "fat pitch" as Buffett calls it.
    - If I had a weakness to certain things, I would stay later at practice, practice by myself or friends/family and work work work until it became a strength.
    - I got dropped from the school 1st XI after working so hard to make it. This created a real "chip" on my shoulder and made me work even harder.

Reading:
    - Prior to university, I hardly ever used to read books.
    - During my first year of university whilst waiting at the airport to fly down to Palmerston North, I came across a book called "rich dad, poor dad" in the bookstore at the airport. I read it and it was extremely interesting. I went straight to the library once I arrived in Palmy and put it on hold straight away.
    - This sparked an interest in finance and particularly stocks and property. I've since read 100's of books on the subject. It is not uncommon for me to have 30-40 investment books on hold at the library at any one time. I generally read 1-2 investment books each week if I can.
    - I got a particular interest in value type investing and hang onto any word Warren Buffett and the likes have to say. I can honestly say read 30+ Berkshire Hathaway annual letters to shareholders was the best learning I've ever read on the subject.
    - I came across words such as "mr market" "margin of safety" and "intrinsic value" and begun using a variation of the dividend discount model/gordon growth model amongst other things.
    Last edited by born2invest; 19-12-2013 at 09:31 AM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by born2invest View Post
    - Most important skill I learnt from cricket was patience. I was an opening batsman played to my limited strengths. Some other batsmen of my age were extremely talented and could play a wide variety of shots on any deliveries. I could only really play 3 different shots well and had to be extremely pateint for the ball to arrive in those spots for me to do well. Slow and steady wins the race was my technique.
    off topic but my brother, a tail ended batsman famously earned himself a 40 minute duck while playing under 18 rep level cricket. Not sure if the other batsman managed to get enough runs to make his tactic be worthwhile.
    - This sparked an interest in finance and particularly stocks and property. I've since read 100's of books on the subject. It is not uncommon for me to have 30-40 investment books on hold at the library at any one time. I generally read 1-2 investment books each week if I can.
    Any particular favorites? Any you have bought after reading them? Any you have re-read?

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Cool The desolation of Sharetrader

I hope that this is not going to be another trilogy trying to cash in on The Hobbit hype.

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger
    om mani peme hum

born2invest

My first share purchase:

- Ryman Healthcare (RYM)
    - early 2010 (I was 21 at the time)
    - Bought for $2.19
    - Sold two weeks later for $2.26
    - Biggest mistake of my investments so far.
    - I told my mum and dad that I'd done lots of research and opened up a sharetrading account and bought some shares. They therefore tried everything they could to get me to sell the shares which I did. I have since watched the share price climb to around the $8 mark, losing out on a 300% rise in 3.5 years.
    - Things I learnt are to take peoples advice with a grain of salt but ultimately to trust my research and make my own decisions.
    - After selling these off at a 'handy profit' I decided to use the funds to pay back some of my student loan, reducing the amount to around 30k.
    Last edited by born2invest; 23-12-2013 at 02:55 PM.

born2invest

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
    off topic but my brother, a tail ended batsman famously earned himself a 40 minute duck while playing under 18 rep level cricket. Not sure if the other batsman managed to get enough runs to make his tactic be worthwhile.
    Any particular favorites? Any you have bought after reading them? Any you have re-read?
    Favourites would be "Buffettology" and "Why Warren Buffett looks to growth and management when investing".

born2invest

Second "Investment":

- I set up an account with Rabodirect and "invested" my money into $1000 lots of term deposits at around 4.5% interest.
    - I enjoyed seeing my savings grow but the interest was tiny for the time it was taking me to save the money.
    - I intended to save this up a buy a house.
    - I learnt from this that term deposits are not going to make you wealthy.
    - I worked at ASB for 1.5 years whilst in this period and had lots of conversations with wealthy businessmen/women that came in who had invested into real estate and the stock market.
    - My uncle has a few stock and property investments so I learnt through.
    - My partner and I made an offer on a house as an investment property in late 2011 but this fell through at the last stage after 4 months on council consultations.

born2invest

Third Investment:

- I did initial research on NZX and ASX companies to see what 10k could buy me after the house offer fell through.
    - I read a few Warren Buffett books and found out he believed very strongly in Coca Cola.
    - I saw Coca Cola Amatil were listed on the ASX and thought to myself that they are a large well known and stable company, I can't go wrong investing in them. They are getting back into alcohol, etc, they are a great company.
    - After investing, the CEO said he would leave, directors began to sell shares, the share price was bouncing around.
    - I didn't like the risks and the potential upside was limited with a slow growing company. I decided to sell, making around 11% or so on the company in 9 months or so of holding.
    - I learn never to just invest in a company because it is well known and has done well in the past. The future is what counts.
    Last edited by born2invest; 23-12-2013 at 02:15 PM.

Banned

You are a gem.