sharetrader
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question IPhone or Samsung?

I'm finally looking at entering the smartphone age due to my current phone dying from old age. (Had just the 2 phones over the last 17 years!). Currently do nothing but calls/txt, but looking to make use of the technology available with my pending upgrade.

Any suggestions whether to go with an IPhone or Samsung? 32GB or 64GB?

At the end of the day they both have Apps that do just about anything, so I guess it would come down to personal preference? History suggests that I will hang on to the phone until it dies a natural death, so I'm thinking 64GB to futureproof?
    Death will be reality, Life is just an illusion.

I picked an android device over iphone because:
    1. Screen is bigger
    2. The UI is customizable

I picked an HTC 1 over a samsung s4 because it looked more durable.

However, I'm sure you won't be disappointed with a iphone5, Samsung galaxy s4, or htc 1. You will wonder why you waited so long.
    Last edited by noodles; 29-12-2013 at 01:55 PM.
    No advice here. Just banter. DYOR

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I'm finally looking at entering the smartphone age due to my current phone dying from old age. (Had just the 2 phones over the last 17 years!). Currently do nothing but calls/txt, but looking to make use of the technology available with my pending upgrade.

Any suggestions whether to go with an IPhone or Samsung? 32GB or 64GB?

At the end of the day they both have Apps that do just about anything, so I guess it would come down to personal preference? History suggests that I will hang on to the phone until it dies a natural death, so I'm thinking 64GB to futureproof?
    I've never used an iphone but quite like the Samsung S3. I've been looking at the LG S2 which strikes me as a damn good thing and Harvey Norman's are selling them at $686. Limited storage though, but read some reviews online.

A while back, I managed a project rolling out both iphones and Samsung Androids.

Bang and flexibility for buck, the androids excel. If you want tighter security and consistent integration with other Apple products, the iphone excel.

My family has a weird combination of Nexus, Samsung, Nokia and i-pods. I tried to guide it earlier to Androids but failed, and thought it was going to be a problem but file sharing within the family is infrequent, and it's more important what our circles of friends are running. My youngest has an i-pod and face-times his mates, most of whom seem to also have one, and so doesn't seem to need a phone for texting...but I'm sure that will change once he starts college.

Latest Samsungs have s-beam which utilises a modern and convenient bluetooth protocol...meaning file transfer is real fast and easy (requiring the two phones to just touch each other).

Decide your requirements w.r.t.:
    - Memory
    - Screen size
    - Battery life
    - Extended memory/storage
    - CPU speed (dual core?)
    - Weight
    - Durability (some are rugged and waterproof, whereas the bigger the screen the more fragile (normally))
    - Operating system version (latest?)
    - Email supported?
    - Ability to view MS docs?
    - Good calendar req'd?
    - GPS required?
    - 3.5mm Headset jack?
    - and of course, Warranty T's and C's.
    To foretell the future, one must first unlock the secrets of the past.

Had an iPhone 3GS (never again) and since then have had a Galaxy S2. Very reasonably priced nowadays. You only need to go for an S3 or 4 if you want a faster processor. But who needs a quad core phone?!?!?

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

I run one of the dual-sim Samsungs.

It lets me use one SIM for phone/txt, and one for data. Very flexible.

When overseas, I pull out the data SIM, and stick in a local SIM. Very flexible.

Not to everyone's taste, but it works very well for me.

IMO

Still have my first smart ph iPhone 3GS (i think). that i bought off a friend for a ton. LOve it. so user friendly for this slow to adopt technophobe.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    I've never used an iphone but quite like the Samsung S3. I've been looking at the LG S2 which strikes me as a damn good thing and Harvey Norman's are selling them at $686. Limited storage though, but read some reviews online.
    Since I posted that yesterday I got a chance to have a good play on the LG. It is brilliant - I'd rate it every bit as good as the Samsung note - and a bit more pocket friendly, certainly better than the Samsung S3 or even S4 if the extra size isn't that much of a concern. I was so impressed I shot down town and bought one.
    Last edited by fungus pudding; 31-12-2013 at 10:35 AM.

I don't think KW's comments are completely fair. I bought an IPhone 4S just before the 5 came out (about 18 months ago) and have recently upgraded it to iOS7 and it still works fine.

That said IStuff is premium quality and you tend to pay for that as well as its ease of use. If easy workability (i.e you're not too technical) then IPhone is the obvious choice. If you want it to last get as least 32 GB.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Same here peat, my wife got an iphone 4S and had no problems upgrading to iOS7, works fine.

Rumours say the next Samsung S5?? is due around March, where as the next major iPhone (iPhone 6) not due until later in the year
    Either way would go for 32G minimum