Well I guess there's a lot of people out there investing for their retirement and thinking about the overseas holidays they want to take between 65 and 75, or the joint replacements they might want to pay for between 75 and 85... but what happens when you've already been retired for two decades and might still have another decade or more to go?

I'm guessing most people will be crossing their fingers and hoping they still have a bit of extra pocket money to avoid the worst of the nursing homes and to bribe the kids to turn up for regular visits in the hope of receiving an inheritance... however, assuming you make it this far, what is a good strategy to maintain your investments?

I'm assuming that someone in this category will likely want three things:
  • a regular monthly top up to their bank account
  • low risk of loss (or deterioration in total funds beyond that which would occur with drawing down a bank savings account)
  • minimum paperwork (including tax) and/or ease for a trusted family member to manage on behalf

Is there a simple way to do this without incurring corrosive levels of fees? From what I have seen, a decade is plenty of time for a poor advisor to lose a lot of client money and would usually cover at least one decent market melt down to provide them with an excuse! Inflation may also need to be considered over 10 years.

I am interested in any anecdotes posters can provide on solutions those around them may have chosen and problems or successes they have seen with investment for the 85+ age group.