sharetrader
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

We have a banner ad which clicks through to the Smartshares web page on our NZShares page. Our site is designed for people who want to compare options and get help in getting information to help make decisions. Smartshares are NZX index funds and they have details and data available as to makeup and results etc. Its not really necessary for us to duplicate what they do but we do direct traffic since all interest is good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaspar View Post
    Hey Birmanboy, how come you don't include the Smartshares funds on your website?
    www.dividendyield.co.nz
    Conservative Investing and dividend producers...get rich slowly!
    https://www.facebook.com/dividendyieldnz

Share Collector

One "simple" way of investing (not so much for life's last decade, but maybe a possibility if you wanted to give a family member agency to operate the account) could be to use Rabodirect's managed fund platform.

I haven't tried using it, but am tempted to suggest my oldest daughter try it out. Sounds like you can enter and exit funds on-line through the Rabodirect platform with little delay. Makes it a very liquid/simple way to invest in funds. I think the tax & paperwork would all be managed for you through the platform, although can't confirm this.

Currently you can access over 30 funds from at least 8 providers - AMP Capital, ANZ Investments, Brook Asset Management, Fisher Funds, Harbour Asset Management (First NZ Capital), Mint Asset Management, Pathfinder and Tyndall Investment Management. Full list here, complete with morningstar ratings and all the information on performance, fees etc to help with choices.

Rabodirect charges 0.75% for each purchase of a fund, but no exit fee. Minimum amount is only $250, which makes it easily accessible for beginner investors. Some funds also have a buy-sell spread on price, but others don't. I presume any entry/exit fees are the same as buying directly (i.e. it would probably be cheaper to buy the funds at source, but the 0.75% seems pretty good for having ease of on-line transaction, no minimum $ amount and paperwork all taken care of).

Not sure if there are other on-line providers offering similar services yet?

Veteran novice

I've just stumbled across this thread, Lizard, and as one who made his first investments in the 60's - no, not the 1860's, the 1960's! - and his first losses shortly thereafter - perhaps I could offer a couple of thoughts.

First, I don't subscribe to the rule of thumb that says that one should increase one's interest bearing assets over time to equate one's age to the percentage of total investment assets, eg a 65 year old should aim to have 65% in interest bearing/cash and only 35% in equities. I reckon that the cost of living is increasing too quickly for that, despite what official inflation numbers would have us believe. So I'm an advocate of keeping up with or ahead of inflation via a healthy dollop of equities. In recognition though of advancing years, I'm in favour of increasing exposure to solid defensive stocks - the Woolworths rather than the junior miners - in the expectation (hope?) of more regular income and less shareprice volatility.

All that depends on one retaining the enthusiasm and ability to remain involved. Otherwise, it's time to hand the whole business over to a, hopefully reputable, fund management outfit, or two, pay the fees and try not to complain too much!

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
    One "simple" way of investing (not so much for life's last decade, but maybe a possibility if you wanted to give a family member agency to operate the account) could be to use Rabodirect's managed fund platform.

. Sounds like you can enter and exit funds on-line through the Rabodirect platform with little delay. Makes it a very liquid/simple way to invest in funds. I think the tax & paperwork would all be managed for you through the platform, although can't confirm this.
    Yes Lizard , this is what I use for cash and mutual funds... very easy for all types of investors, and not expensive if you compare some of the options. Plus really good rates for cash and TD's. Its pretty much Investment in a box if you don't want to make specific security choices.
    The funds I use seem to track the related indexes fairly well.
    There is a three day delay for the purchase/sale of equity funds I've used. Which disinhibits trading but that is okay coz this is investment.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Guru

I was discussing annuity's with an accountant yesterday specifically ones from USA. He indicated these did well but the gains where wiped out by the strengthening NZ/US$.
    So annuity may be an option if you can remove exchange rate risk or now when exchange rate could go the other way ?

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    Considered an annuity?

Some time ago in an essay on retirement planning I wrote...

It is common in overseas retirement plans for lump sums to be used to purchase a life-long income via an annuity. These products completely remove the longevity risk and although they restrict access to capital they provide for a continuous on-going income which can even be inflation adjusted. The difficulty around these products is that they aren’t highly available in this country and that they are penalised due to current tax legislation

Something to cost out as one of the many options perhaps.
    I'm just throwin this out there as one of the alternatives... cos the obvious seems too obvious to state.

Quote Originally Posted by kiora View Post
    I was discussing annuity's with an accountant yesterday specifically ones from USA. He indicated these did well but the gains where wiped out by the strengthening NZ/US$.
    So annuity may be an option if you can remove exchange rate risk or now when exchange rate could go the other way ?
    You would always have to hedge the exchange rate to be certain to achieve goals and this adds to expense in an already expensive solution.
    On further consideration I think really simple along the line of various duration TD's and a small proportion of equity funds - with drawdown being imposed appropriately on both to achieve income goals - is the most practical solution. However, this does not solve the longevity problem.
    Taxpayers stump up though! They provide an annuity known as NZ Super. Is it enough? No, and its bound to be reduced as the generations of MP's change.
    Last edited by peat; 05-02-2014 at 08:16 AM.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Re FP's post on LPT's, I had thought it sounded like a good idea, and have a small holding in GMT, and was wondering if I should build on it. But this article today has me re thinking:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/mone...-fund-managers

I wonder if I have become complacent with the ease of owning GMT, and whether others might find the same, with other LPT's.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by karen1 View Post
    Re FP's post on LPT's, I had thought it sounded like a good idea, and have a small holding in GMT, and was wondering if I should build on it. But this article today has me re thinking:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/mone...-fund-managers

I wonder if I have become complacent with the ease of owning GMT, and whether others might find the same, with other LPT's.
    I am in the same boat karen1. Have held a small amount of GMT for many years and have enjoyed the regular divie payments and have used the DRP, resulting in a very low average buy price. This article when I read it today concerned me a little but my experience and satisfaction with the results from my GMT investment weigh heavier for me.
    But maybe you are right and we've become complacent.

Thanks iceman, article certainly food for thought. Will be interesting to see if others pick up on it and have an opinion.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by karen1 View Post
    Thanks iceman, article certainly food for thought. Will be interesting to see if others pick up on it and have an opinion.
    I sold out all my property trust holdings last year when they were all near their highs saw the higher interest rates coming and that the units were overpriced,I held them for several years,I think they still have merit especially if your on the top tax rate as you pay the lower 28% rate and don't have to include the income in your tax return as they are all PIE entities,this doesn't increase your gross income which has advantages