sharetrader
Page 178 of 214 FirstFirst ... 78128168174175176177178179180181182188 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,780 of 2135

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    How does this work?! Is it using 5G? How do they not use the Fibre.Im a recent convert to Fibre.I can see the advantage for Spark , they keep all the fees and cut Chorus right out.And up to 10 times faster.! Im the first to admit ,this techno phobe cant keep up

NZ Herald

Spark CEO Jolie Hodson wants 30-40 per cent of fixed-line broadband customers on wireless

"A quiet revolution is happening in New Zealand broadband.

Spark and Vodafone are in the process of shifting hundreds of thousands of customers on to fast internet technology that's completely outside the Ultrafast Broadband (UFB) fibre rollout that has cost Chorus and the Crown some $3.5 billion."

they’re doing their customers a disservice in the name of profit.

Providing fibre internet as the retailer is low margin whereas they can extract much bigger margins from fixed wireless while the customer gets poorer speed, more latency and more variability in service quality in the majority of situations.

there are rural situations where customers will either never get fibre or its still years away where fixed aireless does make good sense but certainly not for the majority.

IMO

But what is fixed wireless Mr slothbear, are they not using the fibre that Chorus put in?

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    But what is fixed wireless Mr slothbear, are they not using the fibre that Chorus put in?

no fixed wireless uses cellular infrastructure e.g 4g and 5g mobile towers. The vast majority will be using 4g

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Slothbear View Post
    they’re doing their customers a disservice in the name of profit.

Providing fibre internet as the retailer is low margin whereas they can extract much bigger margins from fixed wireless while the customer gets poorer speed, more latency and more variability in service quality in the majority of situations.

there are rural situations where customers will either never get fibre or its still years away where fixed aireless does make good sense but certainly not for the majority.
    Where I live (Central Wellington) - my 4G/5G cellular speed is much faster than my fibre connection.

Rural users will quickly flock to Starlink now that they are starting to roll it out here (Starlink is designed with rural users in mind - $99USD a month for 100-300mb download speed - after you shell out $799 for a receiver) - Spark will be fine catering to cities & towns and foregoing the rural user (probably will be quite happy to abandon them for broadband (given the expense in needing to provide that), as they will still need cellular voice services at least.
    Last edited by LaserEyeKiwi; 25-02-2021 at 02:00 PM.

Herbacious

Yes you just have a 4g modem with a SIM card in it. Basically just a glorified hotspot. But you’re not supposed to take it anywhere else like your bach. Hence the “fixed”. Mum uses it via Skinny, much cheaper than Spark fibre and quite adequate for email and Netflix.

Quote Originally Posted by LaserEyeKiwi View Post
    Where I live (Central Wellington) - my 4G/5G cellular speed is much faster than my fibre connection.

Rural users will quickly flock to Starlink now that they are starting to roll it out here (Starlink is designed with rural users in mind - $99USD a month for 100-300mb download speed - after you shell out $799 for a receiver) - Spark will be fine catering to cities & towns and foregoing the rural user (probably will be quite happy to abandon them for broadband (given the expense in needing to provide that), as they will still need cellular voice services at least.

this could be due to a variety of factors including which fibre product you’re getting, internal wiring, your computer specs, ethernet cable, modem model etc... etc...

I can assure you the 2000-4000 mbps hyperfibre will decimate 5g.even gigabit fibre will beat it in latency and consistency which are two of the most important factors once things get above a certain speed. As mondogoose rightly points out fixed wireless is fine for checking emails but so is hotspotting off ones phone, if you want anything actually demanding like running a server or gaming you’ll absolutely want fibre

you’re also right about starlink it will also give very good comptetition and more options for rural

Dont most pc's only have a 1 gig LAN? Or can you get faster download speeds on it somehow?

Quote Originally Posted by mcdongle View Post
    Dont most pc's only have a 1 gig LAN? Or can you get faster download speeds on it somehow?
    Yes ... but how many households have only one PC using their link? You can easily have three, four, five or more devices all contending for bandwidth in one household.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtech View Post
    Yes ... but how many households have only one PC using their link? You can easily have three, four, five or more devices all contending for bandwidth in one household.
    What i am trying to get at is, To get speeds faster than a gig on a pc people will have to upgrade it....??

Legend

With Telstra announcing delisting from NZX from June back to solely ASX - maybe NZ Telco's & Infrastructure companies
    will see slightly more attention..