sharetrader
Page 10 of 214 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast

Glad I only sold 20% the other day.

Auckland airport has a monopoly, spark sells a commodity. Have just moved mobile from telecom was 69 a month to 2deg for 39 a month, no diff is plan or service, explain to me how they handle that.

Also explain to me how the move to spark works when I still have to talk to Manila to sort out a problem...

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky99 View Post
    Auckland airport has a monopoly, spark sells a commodity. Have just moved mobile from telecom was 69 a month to 2deg for 39 a month, no diff is plan or service, explain to me how they handle that.

Also explain to me how the move to spark works when I still have to talk to Manila to sort out a problem...
    Sorry, what do you mean? I don't follow the link between rebranding as Spark and keeping a helpdesk offshore.

Just as an aside, I've always found the folk in the Philippines really helpful. I'll be interested to learn how you find the support at 2degrees.

Crikey Ricky99, you're rather slow on the uptake, I moved my mobile from Vodafone to Spark a couple of months ago and I now pay rather less than $39 a month for a combined Spark smartphone/mobile and rather less than I did at Vodafone. Where do you live? Chatham Islands?

If you leave your contract going with any utility, power, phone etc etc for yonks at old prices they'll simply keep hauling the dosh in. You're already paying more at 2Deg than Spark, if you keep sleeping on 2Deg you'll find they are still charging you $39 in 5 years time although continually advancing tech makes it cheaper all the time. Companies that are fast on their feet/have good overseas partnerships can make more on a more sophisticated expanded range of services than they lose on price competition in more old fashioned services. Commodity is an easy label to throw around but we are not talking butter or litres of water but increasingly diversified and sophisticated services taking in IT, entertainment, and all sorts of stuff.
    Last edited by Major von Tempsky; 23-07-2014 at 09:04 PM.

Depends how much data you want on your phone... My point is that the prices are dropping faster than the big boys can cut their costs. I can't see Simon taking cost out via it systems that fast, and he has already taken out a truckload of headcount so not much more left there. Any new products are on slim margins and people are continuing to either give up the legacy products which had higher margins or competitors are driving the price down, so the margins disappear.

Telecom held onto high roaming rates for years and now they are crashing down, or for a number of travelers they just use data services like viber and hook into free wifi when overseas.
    So what I don't see is how they continue to throw off huge cash like they have in the past..

Quote Originally Posted by Bobdn View Post
    Sorry, what do you mean? I don't follow the link between rebranding as Spark and keeping a helpdesk offshore.

Just as an aside, I've always found the folk in the Philippines really helpful. I'll be interested to learn how you find the support at 2degrees.
    Support at 2 degrees is great. May take a while to get through but head and shoulders above telecom. I would pay more for that alone. Telecom have rorted us for years - in price and service.
    No intention of going back. 2 degrees have taken it to Telecom and Vodaphone and I also enjoy supporting them for that reason also.
    Telecoms rivers of gold deserve to regress to creeks of bronze.
    Last edited by biker; 24-07-2014 at 10:24 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by biker View Post
    Support at 2 degrees is great. May take a while to get through but head and shoulders above telecom. I would pay more for that alone. Telecom have rorted us for years - in price and service.
    No intention of going back. 2 degrees have taken it to Telecom and Vodaphone and I also enjoy supporting them for that reason alone.
    Agreed I'm very happy with 2 degrees they have great mobile plans including the best casual data usage plans.
    Last edited by couta1; 24-07-2014 at 10:26 AM.

Advanced Member

Somebody out there disagrees with all you parsimonious cellphone users. The price is currently 293cps and the money I have made might be more than enough to buy me a sackful of very nice phones BUT I have the cheapest model available, prepaid, and it remains in the off position, mostly somewhere in the bedroom. If I want to take it with me as an emergency device, I have to take instructions from MOH on how to switch it on. I still think we could make the $3 mark by end of market tomorrow.

Hunting for Heuristic trends

Sharp u-turn ahead.
    divest & short

negative slope change from yesterday, more to come, monday will be interesting

Last edited by arc; 31-07-2014 at 10:41 AM.

Advanced Member

There are many sharp u-turns - look at the charts - but do you have anything to go on? People wake up as a share rises and decide that now is the time to make a profit but we are close to a dividend.
    Quote Originally Posted by arc View Post
    Sharp u-turn ahead
    Last edited by craic; 24-07-2014 at 03:46 PM.