sharetrader
Page 2 of 212 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
    I'm wondering how much traction they can get with less than $20m in programming costs. As a SparkBroadband/Mobile customer, I would kind of expect it to be thrown in for free till the offering expands.
    The subscription has to be less than $15/month with excellent content otherwise its a fail
    Netflix can be seen in NZ ..its not hard to do....base subscription price $us8/m

The questions I have: How much will "Spark" need to spend to be competitive with sky? Can it be competitive? How long before it is making a profit? How much of a subsidy from the other businesses will it take to get it up and running? (threatening dividends).
    How long before a concrete tv plan is in the Works?
    TLS is doing a similar thing and it makes sense to me that the biggest telco here tries it as well, but, smaller pop will be more difficult.
    What risk rating does Spark get now with its new business?
    I will be very interested in others perspective.
    I can't say that Telecom has lived up to my expections! but I'm still hanging in there.

Guru

Fark,, = tel !! ?

Dunno why the subs has to be under $15 a month to succeed...an arbitrary figure?

I pay over $100 a month for SKY, offer me the few channels I'm interested in plus some others I'm occasionally interested in and I'd switch. Or, if there are some interesting channels I haven't got I'd get ShowMe in addition to SKY. It would be easy to beat SKY by having one-off charges for a particular programme rather than forcing watchers to subscribe to an extra channel because there's one programme they want to see.

If showme has a video library that you can pick and watch when you please ( differiates from sky where you are told what you can watch and when ) I might be interested
    one step ahead of the herd

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Major von Tempsky View Post
    Dunno why the subs has to be under $15 a month to succeed...an arbitrary figure?......
    No MVT a competitive global figure ....Spark will eventually be forced to compete with Companies that have 10's of millions of subscribers each...Most Internet TV the likes of Hulu are currently Geo locked to USA ..but Netflix which was USA only are now spreading to European countries ... as these companies slowly spread to other countries e.g Coke and Popcorn have entered countries that don't seem to have a Geolocking law in place ( you can watch without any hassells)...This lack of Geo locking is a negative factor for Spark...NZ media protection laws by the major movie or TV producers may prevent large internet companies from physically invading NZ with super low $ subscriptions but these laws are outdated and ineffective when it comes to virtual invasions.

...Click on the link for a taste of Internet TV..Remember Justified (Series 5 Ep 1)..the series that disappeared off our NZ TV screens...You can watch it here

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    If showme has a video library that you can pick and watch when you please ( differiates from sky where you are told what you can watch and when ) I might be interested
    How's this for a video library Bull The internet is full of these linking websites....

the screenshot (below) is halfway down the H page I've red boxed the TV programme the House of Cards which started last night (series 1 Ep1).... I clicked on this link and it bought up 110 feeds all containing both Series 1 and 2, each series has 13 episodes (some feeds have HD resolution)..

Thanks for the link hoop I had a look, this is what im talking about none of this bs from sky of telling me what i can an cant watch lol but the only small problem is they wanted my credit card info and im not a big fan of giving it to sites I dont know a lot about.
    So must be a market for telecom there a?
    one step ahead of the herd

Waal, I just had a nibble....put some more of my money where my mouth is....4,400 at 244.5.... :-)

Default "The end of profit"??

For those with access to a NBR subscription - there was a very interesting article by Jon Brewer which was an update to an 2011 article titled "the end of profit" (for telcos). The 2011 article predicted that telcos would no longer be profitable by 2015. Basically customer numbers are up however landlines are down - Mobile data being the main business. The cost of providing data has almost halved since 2011 but at the same time data revenue is now around 1/6 of what it used to be. The cross over of cost vs profit is predicted to happen this year! Interestingly enough this happens to coincide with telecom, now spark, moving into TV - which i believe ads credibility to the article. So on the assumption that the prediction is correct - Spark's future profitability relies solely on its performance in tv - a space with many giant competitors already.

Disc: Sold my entire holding.

A further thought - if the crossover takes place this year as predicted - how long could it take for Spark to become profitable (if ever) in the television sector? My thoughts on analysts 2.75 valuation due to turnaround strategy is that it is one giant pump and dump. Then again i am just a newb.
    Last edited by Ginger_steps_; 25-02-2014 at 01:09 PM.

Any reason why Spark can't cherrypick in the entertainment sector? Some people's assumptions seem to be it has to go into full blown competition immediately with Sky, TVNZ, TV3..
    There's more than one way of skinning a cat as you will see.

I think I would rather trust the forward guidance of the experts at Spark, Vodafone, etc etc than the rambling -s of a Jon Brewer (who?) who predicted the end of telcos in a 2011 article. Whatever "telcos" are as Spark now illustrates "telcos are now everything, landline, mobile, broadband, cable, TV, IT etc etc.
    He's obviously rather disappointed his 2011 predictions haven't come true so needs to rewrite his predictions - if he qualifies them enough to say that the share of landlines will continue to go down then he may be able to get some egg off his face?

Sorry you sold out Ginger as TEL's price continues to go up. Makes me glad that I bought when you sold. Maybe I have your shares :-)