sharetrader
Page 6 of 212 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

heading up to the top of the multi year range, wonder when we will learn the new name for there internet tv
    one step ahead of the herd

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    heading up to the top of the multi year range, wonder when we will learn the new name for there internet tv
    I put it down to the new Spark advert. Gee, there are a lot of haters in the comments section. They come across as being so bitter and twisted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6dr6vW3YXQ

Quote Originally Posted by Bobdn View Post
    I put it down to the new Spark advert. Gee, there are a lot of haters in the comments section. They come across as being so bitter and twisted.

lol, so bad.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Major von Tempsky View Post
    Dunno why the subs has to be under $15 a month to succeed...an arbitrary figure?

I pay over $100 a month for SKY, offer me the few channels I'm interested in plus some others I'm occasionally interested in and I'd switch. Or, if there are some interesting channels I haven't got I'd get ShowMe in addition to SKY. It would be easy to beat SKY by having one-off charges for a particular programme rather than forcing watchers to subscribe to an extra channel because there's one programme they want to see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    No MVT a competitive global figure ....Spark will eventually be forced to compete with Companies that have 10's of millions of subscribers each...Most Internet TV the likes of Hulu are currently Geo locked to USA ..but Netflix which was USA only are now spreading to European countries ... as these companies slowly spread to other countries e.g Coke and Popcorn have entered countries that don't seem to have a Geolocking law in place ( you can watch without any hassells)...This lack of Geo locking is a negative factor for Spark...NZ media protection laws by the major movie or TV producers may prevent large internet companies from physically invading NZ with super low $ subscriptions but these laws are outdated and ineffective when it comes to virtual invasions.
    Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    Only a matter of time now....Sparks internet TV ??? ...too late!!!!.... a huge competitor looming to fill this NZ online streaming void..Netflix due in NZ within the next few months and I still reckon the subscription will be about $nz15/month...Quote NZ Herald 5th June 2014 ....We can look even more positively to the future, too. A recent report from Australian publication Inside Film claims Netflix will indeed launch in Australasia in early 2015.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bobdn View Post

Quote Originally Posted by shonen knife View Post
    lol, so bad.
    you said it
    Telecom ad makes you think a new era of no data caps has been born ....how wrong..how "old school".....Also...too late again I've had no data caps for 9 months with Orcon $99/month fibre 30/10 plan... $10 /month cheaper.These smaller IP's have been operating with no data caps for over a year now
    you can become a Giganaire with Telecom !!!..haaa....last month I became a teranaire with Orcon (used 1014gbs)...must admit it will probably be a one off for a while.....but we have a big household with many TV's and we nearly all now use internet TV streaming and downloading...we use about 300-400Gb/month average and slowly rising due to more HD content..

EDIT:...Its amazing how suddenly our household has changed during this last year....The Copper line is no longer used...Fibre connection does everything landlinePhones, smart mobilephones paired into the fibre too,,all wireless connecting gadgets PS3, PVR's..the lot.
    Didn't need Sky anymore so that went...great saving there ($110/month)..
    If you said to me 5 years ago ...this would happen to our household in 2013..I would've said not likely more like in 2020 maybe.

From my observations so far Telecom (Spark) isn't adapting quick enough to this rapid Global technological change era
    Last edited by Hoop; 05-06-2014 at 12:26 PM.

Some of that is rubbish - just like the Samsung/Sky ad showing guys standing around in a forest watching films and rugby games on their smartphones.
    Moronic!
    You watch decent films on a big screen at the cinema and you watch decent rugby games in you leather LazyBoy recliner on a big screen TV in the lounge. As well as reruns of particular films you liked in the cinema. You listen to your favourite music on a large specialized music player instead of doing your hearing in on headphones. You make and receive phone calls and texts on your smartphone except you make and receive most calls at home on your landline. You also use your smartphone to get NZX quotes during the day, to look-up the latest newsflash like John Banks guilty and the weather.
    You guys are going completely overboard just like people who think shops are going to die out and be replaced by Internet shopping.

Besides which I'm not giving up my Sky Channels 24 Heures (News in French), the Arts Channel, the History Channel, National Geographic channel, the Rugby Channel for anyone.
    Take a sedative and calm down, eh.
    Last edited by Major von Tempsky; 05-06-2014 at 04:24 PM.

I don't know about that MVT, I would be of the opinion that the majority (over 50%) of users under 30 years of age would now use data services over traditional services for consumed media. Including phone calls, tv/movies/music. Our household does not use a landline, does not use a tv aerial connection (sky or uhf/freeview for 1-2-3-4) at all. I don't have a single friend who uses a landline. I can count on one hand the people who turn on the tv to actually watch TV. The industry is changing, at least in the younger generation, of which the number of people is increasing exponentially.
    Even for sports, I either use mysky online (thanks to my parents having mysky HDI which I use their online account), or just stream any sports match over the net if sky aren't covering it live, be that whether I pay for it (if it's something I really want to see/support), or using any number of the free options.
    Music? All through spotify, which I happily pay for. Spotify app on my phones/laptop/pc/play online from a browser, all from internet. In the car? Phone in hands free cradle, streamed off internet through phone, through car speakers.
    Movies/TV? All through netflix or illegal alternatives if it's not available on netflix. If that makes me an asshole, sure, at least i'm paying for netflix. Better than waiting 8 months for it to come out in NZ after a US release, or paying sky exhorbitant fees for the few handful of shows I want to watch.

The industry is already well in it's paces of changing away from traditionally provided services and it's not going to reverse this trend
    Last edited by clip; 05-06-2014 at 05:40 PM.

The Wolf of Sharetrader

You guys sound more like you're talking up the benefit of owning Chorus shares with all this high net usage talk.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Major von Tempsky View Post
    Some of that is rubbish - just like the Samsung/Sky ad showing guys standing around in a forest watching films and rugby games on their smartphones.
    Moronic! ...Yeah I hate ads thats why I watch internet TV
    You watch decent films on a big screen at the cinema..I do too...and you watch decent rugby games in you leather LazyBoy recliner on a big screen TV in the lounge..I do too (via fibre). As well as reruns of particular films you liked in the cinema..I do too.... You listen to your favourite music on a large specialized music player..I do too in my Home theatre 5.1 surround sound... instead of doing your hearing in on headphones Don't do headphones much.... You make and receive phone calls and texts on your smartphone...yep... except you make and receive most calls at home on your landline..I do too except when the landline rings I've got a choice I can answer it on the cordless or on the smartphone..and..If the phone rings when we all are away we can answer it via our smartphone at no cost...When we are away from home we can still use our landline to make calls free of charge anywhere in NZ by just using our smart phone... You also use your smartphone to get NZX quotes during the day, to look-up the latest newsflash like John Banks guilty who's John Banks.. and the weather
    You guys are going completely overboard just like people who think shops are going to die out and be replaced by Internet shopping.

Besides which I'm not giving up my Sky Channels 24 Heures (News in French), the Arts Channel, the History Channel, National Geographic channel, the Rugby Channel for anyone....Hmmm except for Rugby channel they are free public channels and I can get those apps any time I want on my 55 inch Samsung smart TV and listen to it on the home theatre..
    Take a sedative and calm down, eh....Nah..don't do drugs
    qqqqqqqqqqqqqq
    Last edited by Hoop; 05-06-2014 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nextbigthing View Post
    You guys sound more like you're talking up the benefit of owning Chorus shares with all this high net usage talk.
    I agree. Hoop's post was a great read and a reminder of how quickly things can change. Go Chorus!

I see Big Pipe may be offering new fibre plans, based on Chorus' new offerings to ISPs, as early as next month. Big Pipe have indicated they may offer an entry level naked unlimited plan, 100 down/10, up for...$79.

Let's see how Orcon and everyone else responds to that. Big Pipe, of course, is owned by Spark and it's where I'm heading as soon as that plan goes live. $79, no cap, and speeds three times what Hoop is currently getting - at a cheaper price.

I think Spark is adapting very nicely.

Advanced Member

I am too shikkered to understand the above posts but I am happy with my My Sky and because I need Sky to get ANYTHING, i will continue. I trade Tel and do very well out of it - As to chorus, my shares are in to shed, converted to a heap of metal on four wheels and doing nicely. I have a cellphone but it takes me all my time to switch it on. I have a friend who used to seek my advice on shares - but he ignored me and listened to his offspring who knows everything about everything and lost his shirt. Yesterday he came back for some advice and suggested CNU. I told him that he would dead before he made any money out of that. I have no idea where he is going but I will open another bottle of wine before I watch Mrs Browns Boys. As a Dublin man it's hometown humour for me.