sharetrader
Page 175 of 213 FirstFirst ... 75125165171172173174175176177178179185 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,750 of 2129

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    record date ? is that australia your talking about? i think in NZ its the same as the ex date ? the day they check to see who gets the dividend ( the ex date)
    EX date is 17th , record date is 18th?

Maybe im having a bad day but if you sell today doesnt that mean you miss out (excuse my youthfulness)

Veteran novice

Record date is always the business day before the ex div date. The register (record) is set, then the shares trade ex div.

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Record date is always the business day before the ex div date. The register (record) is set, then the shares trade ex div.
    So Im reading this incorrectly? http://nzx-prod-s7fsd7f98s.s3-websit...661/329278.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by jimdog31 View Post
    EX date is 17th , record date is 18th?

Maybe im having a bad day but if you sell today doesnt that mean you miss out (excuse my youthfulness)
    i wouldnt think so . it just means they check who owned the shares on wednesday night because of t2 they need till wait to friday to check

so think even you could buy yesterday and sell today and still get div. happy to be corrected
    one step ahead of the herd

i wouldnt think so . it just means they check who owned the shares on wednesday night because of t2 they need till wait to friday to check

so think even you could buy yesterday and sell today and still get div. happy to be corrected
    I was going off this . https://www.investopedia.com/article...idend%20payout.

Would love some clarity!

I was going off this . https://www.investopedia.com/article...idend%20payout.

Would love some clarity!
    the article says what i said

so if you brought before the ex date ( your last chance to buy before ex date was on the 16th)
    when they do the records on the 18th that is 2 days you have owned it before record date.
    it wouldnt matter if you sold today because they are only looking at who was on the register on the night of the 16th and it takes the registery 2 days to update there files of who brought on the 16th.

eg brought on the 16th t2 means regidstered in my name on the 18th
    sell on the 17th t2 means registered in the new owners name on the 19th

if your unsure ring a broker they know best ( i might be wrong? lol it happens) so it really only matters that you held it before ex date
    Last edited by bull....; 17-09-2020 at 02:48 PM.

Veteran novice

Apologies, jimdog. Getting confused in my dotage!

Because settlement of a purchase is two trading days later, ex date must precede record date. You are reading the notice correctly.

Advanced Member

so if you brought before the ex date ( your last chance to buy before ex date was on the 16th)
    when they do the records on the 18th that is 2 days you have owned it before record date.
    it wouldnt matter if you sold today because they are only looking at who was on the register on the night of the 16th and it takes the registery 2 days to update there files of who brought on the 16th.

if your unsure ring a broker they know best ( i might be wrong? lol it happens) so it really only matters that you held it before ex date
    You are right. I have quite often bought in the day before ex div just to get the div.
    Last edited by see weed; 17-09-2020 at 02:59 PM.

You are 100% correct.

As an aside, T2 starts from the end of the day's trading, not the time the trade processed. i.e. it is 2 full trading days, not 48 hours before it shows up on the registry.

spark been in the doldrums bit since div was paid but seems to be finding some love today , maybe as a high div player it is started to be noticed again after the others have all run hard lately