sharetrader
Page 113 of 213 FirstFirst ... 1363103109110111112113114115116117123163 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,130 of 2129

As far as I understand, SPK still got a lot of legacy IT systems and it would be interesting if AGILE can make their "maintenance" fit this new methodology. One good thing though is that AGILE won't need a lot of middle managers to make it work. Just another way of saying that cutting on overheads is their only way of improving the bottom line again, I suppose.

I'm in the software business. "Agile" is just the latest in a long line of silver bullets intended to de-risk large IT development projects and implement new software in smaller stages rather than the old style "waterfall" approach. I can say with some confidence that the success or failure of these projects is just as much down to project management, scope management and the technical expertise of the software developers, rather than any particular methodology, "agile", "waterfall" or whatever. This is nothing against Spark, they are just following along using the same buzzwords that the rest of the industry currently expects. If you're not "agile" there is something wrong with you. In my view, it is of no significance to the future prospects of the company, I'm not sure why they felt the need to mention it.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by kiora View Post
    I wouldnt think its a game changer , however it does indicate that wireless is developing and will take over more and more of the network.

Speaking of wireless I am now temporarily operating the mobile broadband solution that Spark offer. Jeez it is so easy. Seriously, you just plug in the power and push the on button. Just like a toaster or a fridge. Plug and play internet. 120GB a month is the datacap, which is not really adequate for me so I will still get fibre installed. .

For many people it would be perfectly adequate though , what a great solution!

I repeat sell CNU.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

peat, do you have anything that you can connect to away from your home, such as an alarm system to monitor, heat pump etc.
    About 12 months or so ago, I moved to Spark wireless as they said it will do anything a fixed connection will do, well it didn't , could not connect to our house alarm outside of the home wifi network, after about a month of trying to get an answer including them offering to get more technical help for a "small" fee, - no thanks , your problem not mine and then emailing someone quite high up finally told me that something to do with protocols of mobile internet, cannot connect from the outside . With more and more things wifi enabled - such as alarms systems heat pumps, lights etc, would have thought that would be a barrier. Transferred to fibre at no cost to me including sending me another modem.
    But yes easy as, get the modem plug in it and away I went.
    I am located in suburbia by the way
    Just wondering if things have now changed?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    I don't believe that they have.
    Mobile uses NAT and that causes issues - you don't have an Internet routable address on the device and it is translated dynamically at the Mobile/Internet boarder.

Guru

I use 2 deg $70/month unlimited calls,txt Aus Nz & 25 GB ?/month that roll over if they aren't used.The data is set up to share with mobile modem SIM card.Modem plugs in any where.I don't use any more data than this so don't need broadband.Easy peasy

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    peat, do you have anything that you can connect to away from your home, such as an alarm system to monitor, heat pump etc.
    About 12 months or so ago, I moved to Spark wireless as they said it will do anything a fixed connection will do, well it didn't , could not connect to our house alarm outside of the home wifi network, after about a month of trying to get an answer including them offering to get more technical help for a "small" fee, - no thanks , your problem not mine and then emailing someone quite high up finally told me that something to do with protocols of mobile internet, cannot connect from the outside . With more and more things wifi enabled - such as alarms systems heat pumps, lights etc, would have thought that would be a barrier. Transferred to fibre at no cost to me including sending me another modem.
    But yes easy as, get the modem plug in it and away I went.
    I am located in suburbia by the way
    As dobby41 has stated, nothing's changed.

You can opt for a separate cellular connection for your alarm, or purchase a compatible alarm system that relies on the data connection. Most IOT devices (e.g. heatpumps, lightbulbs, fridges etc.) are poorly implemented from a security perspective, so I would avoid them in you're not a technical person.

Guru

Can LoRaWAN be used for IOT away from home?
    https://www.digikey.co.nz/en/article...ttery-life-iot

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
    As dobby41 has stated, nothing's changed.

You can opt for a separate cellular connection for your alarm, or purchase a compatible alarm system that relies on the data connection. Most IOT devices (e.g. heatpumps, lightbulbs, fridges etc.) are poorly implemented from a security perspective, so I would avoid them in you're not a technical person.
    So much for you can control your house (or the things in it) from anywhere then Agree Zaphod, security is an issue for most.

Me, only the alarm system. I would like to know if my alarm goes off! (No problem sending info out to the monitoring provider) I think the ones with a separate cell number need topping up every 12 months, not a lot of money ($20 every year), but a hassle having to remember to do it.