sharetrader
Page 2 of 88 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 1750

Thread: Spark (TEL)

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Major von Tempsky View Post
    Any reason why Spark can't cherrypick in the entertainment sector? Some people's assumptions seem to be it has to go into full blown competition immediately with Sky, TVNZ, TV3..
    There's more than one way of skinning a cat as you will see.

    I think I would rather trust the forward guidance of the experts at Spark, Vodafone, etc etc than the rambling -s of a Jon Brewer (who?) who predicted the end of telcos in a 2011 article. Whatever "telcos" are as Spark now illustrates "telcos are now everything, landline, mobile, broadband, cable, TV, IT etc etc.
    He's obviously rather disappointed his 2011 predictions haven't come true so needs to rewrite his predictions - if he qualifies them enough to say that the share of landlines will continue to go down then he may be able to get some egg off his face?

    Sorry you sold out Ginger as TEL's price continues to go up. Makes me glad that I bought when you sold. Maybe I have your shares :-)
    Actually the article was updated because his predictions are now becoming fact. Vodafone nz was an example- customers up, revenue up and profit down. However as stated the crossover isnt expected until this year. He also mentioned back then that we would see companies beginning to bundle multiple services and diversify- again true. Yep I agree- maybe I sold out a few weeks early- but ill be back to quote you when the tables turn.

    Furthermore- Do you really think you will get an objective opinion from experts within the companies?

    Only time will tell however im not willing to take that risk. If they are profitable in 5 years I may consider taking a position again.

    BTW Jon Brewer is a TUANZ member.
    Last edited by Ginger_steps_; 01-03-2014 at 02:01 PM.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Christchurch, , France.
    Posts
    1,366

    Default

    Actually...if you'd care to read Rod Oram page D24 of the Sunday Star Times today he covers all this excellently and rather better than Jon Brewer. Comment again after you have read Rod Oram. (normally I am rather dismissive of Rod Oram because his articles are politically slanted heavily to one political party - enough to rate them as propaganda rather than objective analysis - however today he's stayed out of politics completely).
    There's one point I disagree with him - he states "such as watching content away from the main family TV".
    Bollocks, consumers will, and are buying main family TVs that easily connect to the Internet so that they can sit together in their comfortable Lazy Boy recliners and watch in their TV room.

    TUANZ? Raucous laughter. It's main purpose is not to serve Telecom Users but to try to destroy Telecom. Think cynically when you read a TUANZ pronouncement - luckily they are rarer and rarer these days. Maybe TUANZ is dying out now that Chorus is separated from Telecom and telecom fields of activity have vastly proliferated?

    The last news release from TUANZ I recall (and they used to come thick and fast) was some months ago.
    It was a sotto voce release volunteering to "do everything they could to help CNU" and seemed rather along the lines of the fox offering to guard the henhouse heh heh ;-)
    How TUANZ still justify the considerable expense of a full time CEO and staff and office etc strains credibility.
    Last edited by Major von Tempsky; 02-03-2014 at 01:26 PM. Reason: correction

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    355

    Default

    Whatever you call Telecom now, seems they made a complete botch-up of the launch of their digital TV platform ShowmeTV and are now changing the name (link to NZ Herald article). Irrespective of other companies with similar names, how could they not have thought it was an awful name anyway?

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Christchurch, , France.
    Posts
    1,366

    Default

    Storminatcup.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Christchurch, , France.
    Posts
    1,366

    Default

    Maybe its time to have another look at TEL - up 6.5cps (was 7cps and maybe more again) today.

    All those simple minded devotees of momentum trading and "technical" analysis, draw one of the 100+ plus possible graphs selecting your base point carefully in order to show what you want, and tell us the answer so we can note it for future comment :-)

  6. #26
    Advanced Member BIRMANBOY's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    1,608

    Default

    Are you lonely MVT? Yearning for some meaty charts from Hoop to sink your teeth into.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Major von Tempsky View Post
    Maybe its time to have another look at TEL - up 6.5cps (was 7cps and maybe more again) today.

    All those simple minded devotees of momentum trading and "technical" analysis, draw one of the 100+ plus possible graphs selecting your base point carefully in order to show what you want, and tell us the answer so we can note it for future comment :-)
    www.dividendyield.co.nz
    Conservative Investing and dividend producers...get rich slowly!
    https://www.facebook.com/dividendyieldnz

  7. #27
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    , , napier. n.z..
    Posts
    1,659

    Default

    Todays good rise simply reflects the markets. Got me out of a hole where I looked like losing money. Dividend is just a few days away and I suspect that will encourage a sell down by simple folks who know about the dividend and will wait until they get the letter before they drop out.

  8. #28
    Trying to get outta here
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    7,396

    Default

    Why would you pay $2.60 for this stock on no news,record date gone and next divvy eons away,looks very toppy to me,how long before haircut arrives?

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Christchurch, , France.
    Posts
    1,366

    Default

    Several answers - the first one that occurs to me re paying $2.60 for this stock is because that's rather cheaper than paying $2.80 in a month or two.
    No news? Scads of it - don't you bother reading it or do you have the goldfish 7 second memory syndrome? Try logging into the Tel Investor Centre, or log into Direct Broking, enter TEL in the side box and then in the drop down box at the top choose "News".
    Have a look at the incentives that Simon Moutter and the rest now get - they're now very highly motivated to make the thing work.
    The hope/aspiration is for a higher dividend rate next announcement in September. You need patience to be a successful value investor.
    If your nerves are that twitchy for action suggest you take a trip to the Casino and burn some money to settle you down.
    Last edited by Major von Tempsky; 10-04-2014 at 12:47 PM.

  10. #30
    Advanced Member BIRMANBOY's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    1,608

    Default

    Been there, done that...didn't help!! (sorry Couta, couldn't resist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Major von Tempsky View Post
    You need patience to be a successful value investor.
    If your nerves are that twitchy for action suggest you take a trip to the Casino and burn some money to settle you down.
    Last edited by BIRMANBOY; 10-04-2014 at 01:36 PM. Reason: edit out irrelevant
    www.dividendyield.co.nz
    Conservative Investing and dividend producers...get rich slowly!
    https://www.facebook.com/dividendyieldnz

  11. #31
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    , , napier. n.z..
    Posts
    1,659

    Default

    Look at the markets - it's not just TEL everything else is jumping - everything worhtwhile, that is. Go to the threads on NZX and you will find there are loads of wishful thinkers on a variety os slow moving stocks that might move next year or the year after - there are even otherwise intelligent people around who believe that Labour will win the next election.

  12. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    243

    Default

    If your nerves are that twitchy for action suggest you take a trip to the Casino and burn some money to settle you down.[/QUOTE]

    Couta has been getting plenty of excitement at the XRO casino

  13. #33
    Trying to get outta here
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    7,396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BIRMANBOY View Post
    Been there, done that...didn't help!! (sorry couta, couldn't resist.
    Yeah BB that was the Casino Chorus,or was that the Casino Diligent or Xro or Snakk, actually ive visited so many of them ive forgotton which was which,MVT ive read the news alright,more aspiations and hope than news,actually i got the latest divvy on this stock then sold to buy Genesis and will buy in again when its back down under $2.50,sometime over the next couple of months

  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Christchurch, , France.
    Posts
    1,366

    Default

    At the mo you're wrong Craic - TEL continues to go up while the others go down.... :-)

  15. #35
    Trying to get outta here
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    7,396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Major von Tempsky View Post
    At the mo you're wrong Craic - TEL continues to go up while the others go down.... :-)
    Probably being seen as a hedge fund but at these prices and a yield of 6% there's nothing special here at the moment that can't be bettered by certain bonds and property companies like Argosy etc

  16. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    878

    Default

    Are you guys in the DRP? I am and have been for years. All the reinvestments were at a lower price than today's $2.63. I find that so satisfying.

  17. #37
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    , , napier. n.z..
    Posts
    1,659

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Major von Tempsky View Post
    At the mo you're wrong Craic - TEL continues to go up while the others go down.... :-)
    Don't speak too soon look again on monday week if not earlier. I confess that I have jumped the wrong way a couple of times in the past month to my cost. But never mind, I will recover one grand after the elections and if I do as well on the horses tomorrow as I did last saturday I will be happy.

  18. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    878

    Default

    I never owned a company with a P/E greater than 20. Until today.

  19. #39
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    , , napier. n.z..
    Posts
    1,659

    Default

    I will be happy if the price doubles and the P/E goes over 40. My motive is profit. I have an equation that I devised to assess new investments and 20 or greater was a bottom score.
    P

  20. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    878

    Default

    [QUOTE=craic;474707]I will be happy if the price doubles and the P/E goes over 40. My motive is profit. I have an equation that I devised to assess new investments and 20 or greater was a bottom score.
    P[/QUOTE

    Here's hoping. We're approaching a 52 week high. Hope it stays up on Thursday - will give me an excuse to treat myself over the long weekend.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •