sharetrader
Page 85 of 212 FirstFirst ... 357581828384858687888995135185 ... LastLast

Who knows? I think The Chorus infrastructure was absolutely necessary and may support technology in the future.

I wonder where self driving cars, drones etc will get their data from. Maybe Spark will be the benefactor but why would the makers of these vehicles want to deal with 3rd party. Possibly too much for some sharetraders to take in for one morning lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasi Goreng View Post
    Who knows? I think The Chorus infrastructure was absolutely necessary and may support technology in the future.

I wonder where self driving cars, drones etc will get their data from. Maybe Spark will be the benefactor but why would the makers of these vehicles want to deal with 3rd party. Possibly too much for some sharetraders to take in for one morning lol.
    yes benefactor, very cheap share
    one step ahead of the herd

I would base my theory on technology. For example, there are now 1 billion users of Facebook Messenger who are able to make their own private calls without the need of a telephone company.

The big tailwind for telcoms has been the rise of the smart phone and people have needed to buy data plans which are of more value now than free calls. I just think 5-10 years from now, technology will change so fast that we may eventually be able to get by without phone companies at all, some say we may eventually get rid of telephone numbers all together - imagine that! We would need more free wifi zones to enable this but its not inconceivable to imagine it happening.

So maybe my somewhat limited vision can't see too far into the past but its not really the past investors need to worry about is it? Happy to be contrarian.
    Spark is no longer primarily a phone company as such. One of the reasons they changed their name from Telecom was to try and emphasise their move away from "just a landline/phone company". They are now about mobile, internet TV, cloud, and data, with ye olde telephone capabilities still hanging around in the background. The core infrastructure, the exchanges and the fibre connecting them, has been carrying far more than just phone calls for many many years - as an example go back to the 60's 70's and 80's when telex was still around! The future is about data in many different guises, and Spark has the infrastructure to carry that data in NZ and overseas - remember they own 50% of Southern Cross.

Their challenge, like all tech companies, is to keep up with changing technology and stay relevant, and I think they have the ability to do that. Sometimes they get it wrong (remember First Media, the failed experiment in cable TV back in the late 90's?) but they've been in the game a long time.

Disc: Spark employee for 20-plus years, in a technical role. In all that time I have NEVER worked on a phone or a landline.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by oldtech View Post
    Their challenge, like all tech companies, is to keep up with changing technology and stay relevant, and I think they have the ability to do that. Sometimes they get it wrong (remember First Media, the failed experiment in cable TV back in the late 90's?) but they've been in the game a long time..
    Their challenge is getting people to pay.
    Bandwidth useage is increasing at a great rate but people don't want to pay more for it.
    Supplying bandwidth (fixed or mobile) does cost money but people want more and more for less and less.
    So the challenge is getting money for what is now a commodity.

I have to side with oldtech on this one as the issue is for Spark to complete its transformation from old Line company to more of a "servicing data company", whatever that means. You'll be hearing new money earning services unheard off from an old phone exchange company when everything falls in to place. They're still transforming from over a thousand legacy systems/platforms/services to less than 250 or so as I was told. The old Telecom that we all knew then is no longer the same as Spark. May it happen soon for all those who want to see this company succeed.

Well if you had the vision to look at the past, you might have noticed that SPK has changed with the times and as the need occurs..so a reasonable assumption might be that they could continue doing this. Your point is that technology has changed and changes all the time...so why wouldn't you believe that SPK would do the same? They have displayed these attributes year after year. Suddenly they'll stop and remain static? I think not. Past behaviour is no guarantee of future performance but it certainly informs one of likelihood of what might happen. All tech outfits need to be light on their feet. SPK is large but appears to be pretty nimble from past history. A lot of posters have made a lot of money from this either through trading or simply growth and dividends. It would be a brave person who thought that was coming to an end. Are you brave or simply misguided?
    I would base my theory on technology. For example, there are now 1 billion users of Facebook Messenger who are able to make their own private calls without the need of a telephone company.

The big tailwind for telcoms has been the rise of the smart phone and people have needed to buy data plans which are of more value now than free calls. I just think 5-10 years from now, technology will change so fast that we may eventually be able to get by without phone companies at all, some say we may eventually get rid of telephone numbers all together - imagine that! We would need more free wifi zones to enable this but its not inconceivable to imagine it happening.

So maybe my somewhat limited vision can't see too far into the past but its not really the past investors need to worry about is it? Happy to be contrarian.
    www.dividendyield.co.nz
    Conservative Investing and dividend producers...get rich slowly!
    https://www.facebook.com/dividendyieldnz

Guru

I have worked for Spark in its' various guises for 38 years and the Spark of now is a far different creature than anything from the past.
    Simon Moutter has moved the company a long way in the right direction - product and culture.

$4 soon a, people must be waking up to how cheap the shares are relative to others

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    $4 soon a, people must be waking up to how cheap the shares are relative to others
    Yeah right, cheap in comparison to what others?

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    Yeah right, cheap in comparison to what others?
    us telecom index pe 21 next yr 22, spark 19 so at a pe of 21 - 22 would be 4.50 so very cheap on this comparison and such a juicy dividend yield too.