sharetrader
Page 91 of 212 FirstFirst ... 4181878889909192939495101141191 ... LastLast

I don't understand. Can someone help me understand why SPK announcement of increase in profit, revenue, and dividend payout has affected share price drop by -3%?

Am I missing something or have I read it wrong?

Advanced Member

EJK the great mysteries are there to confound us. I just got back from delivering a load of firewood, expecting the price to be near the 370's. I sold a large block at 365 two days ago and hoped for a drop of five cents so that I could buy back and make a few hundred dollars but last night I was sure that I had stuffed up - again. Then my surprise that my wish had come through while I was out in the rain. I went to the investor centre to find out what had been announced only to find I can only get last years figures. I will go elsewhere and hunt for answers. still $729 in 2 days is not bad.

A worthy question, oft repeated with Spark. Fortunately, for you and I, most of Spark's shares are held overseas and as a very minor part of their owner's total portfolio. This means that those owners are oblivious to good results and good dividends and nearly totally concentrated on the movements and coming movements of the US dollar, interest rates, the euro, the Chinese economy &&.

Fortunate, because for perceptive NZ shareholders who are concentrated on good dividend yields as an essential part of their income to live off, Spark fits the bill nicely and we can sail on blithely oblivious as to whether Trump has been caught again in flagrante delicto (with his pants down), Volkswagen has been caught cooking its emissions books, Marine le Pen has been elected, North Korea has successfully fired an ICBM, China's inverted pyramid of mountainous debt has come crashing down, the Pope has been caught with a choirboy.

Celebrate, mate, forget the rest!

I had a little look around EJK, apparently the NZ dollar has broken downwards through some silly 3 week "technical" resistance chart so all the overseas holders of Spk will be thinking the US dollar value of their Spk holdings has fallen/is falling significantly. Also Auck Airport and Fletcher have both fallen significantly. AIA, which is the nearest thing to a sure bet in NZ unless there's a big volcanic eruption in Auckland and most of Air NZ's jets crash simultaneously has fallen 13 cents! Make that fallen 16 cents!
    So, time to get your Bible, get under the bed with a flask of coffee, put on sackcloth and ashes and read Revelations under the bed for the rest of Thursday....
    Last edited by Major von Tempsky; 16-02-2017 at 11:22 AM.

Super Investor

Quote Originally Posted by Major von Tempsky View Post
    I had a little look around EJK, apparently the NZ dollar has broken downwards through some silly 3 week "technical" resistance chart so all the overseas holders of Spk will be thinking the US dollar value of their Spk holdings has fallen/is falling significantly. Also Auck Airport and Fletcher have both fallen significantly. AIA, which is the nearest thing to a sure bet in NZ unless there's a big volcanic eruption in Auckland and most of Air NZ's jets crash simultaneously has fallen 13 cents! Make that fallen 16 cents!
    So, time to get your Bible, get under the bed with a flask of coffee, put on sackcloth and ashes and read Revelations under the bed for the rest of Thursday....
    Well here is a revelation. The share price is too expensive but this revelation might spark a SD valuation.
    Oh no.
    h2

However, Sulphuric Acid, the result was in line with Spark's guidelines and a bit better than guidelines so there's no surprises. I'm just going to see if you have posted the same comment on the AIA thread to see if you are logically and factually consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    I don't understand. Can someone help me understand why SPK announcement of increase in profit, revenue, and dividend payout has affected share price drop by -3%?

Am I missing something or have I read it wrong?
    The market tends to build up its expectations prior to the announcement hence the old adage, "buy the rumour, sell the fact"
    plus what the others said re SPK being an international plaything.....

just a reflection of how out of favour nz shares are at the moment.

Telstra result was pretty bad as well so the whole sector is getting a hiding
    one step ahead of the herd

Quote Originally Posted by h2so4 View Post
    Well here is a revelation. The share price is too expensive but this revelation might spark a SD valuation.
    Oh no.
    Well, no sign of any comment on the AIA thread by H2SO4. Very telling.

I consulted the NZX re SPK and AIA. Here's results; AIA a P/E of 31.200 and a Gross Dividend Yield of 3.535%.
    SPK a P/E of 18.350 and a Gross Dividend Yield of 9.359%.

So which share price is too expensive H2SO4? Obviously AIA is yet you have made no comment on the AIA thread to that effect.

Are we to conclude that you are one of the small band of irrational Telecom haters then?

I wonder who knows the name of the Wall st pundit who said "sometimes the market does something so stupid that it takes one's breath away."
    A chocolate fish for the correct answer.