sharetrader
Page 303 of 383 FirstFirst ... 203253293299300301302303304305306307313353 ... LastLast
Results 3,021 to 3,030 of 3828
    Advanced Member

Just why I love Genesis so much from now on especially: Genesis - keeping the lights on!

Ralph Sims, Professor Emeritus, Sustainable Energy and Climate Mitigation, Massey University, comments:

“Climate scientists have told us for decades to expect more dry years – this could be one of them.

On Tuesday afternoon (4 May), South Island hydro was running at around half its full capacity and North Island hydro about one quarter.

Geothermal was near full capacity, North Island gas around a third, but wind power only around 20 per cent. Yet it was a windy day.

Solar was too small to show, and the coal / gas plant (Huntley) was running at full capacity.

Hence, renewable electricity generation was down to nearly 70 per cent of total generation compared to the usual level of over 80 per cent.
    All science is either Physics or stamp collecting - Ernest Rutherford

Advanced Member

Yeah, lets import some more expensive electric cars, so that people can deceive themselves that they are lowering emissions.

Wont do much for the balance of payments.

Even better, slap a taxpayer funded subsidy on them.

Is that ok Julie Anne?

I'm keeping a close eye on GNE at the moment - the SP has dipped below the 200 MA several times over the last month, closing price on Friday not all that flash.

I do like the good solid dividends, but my average price is rather high at $3.13 so will be watching closely over the coming days/weeks.

Should be hearing the outcome of the Kupe sale any day now. I wonder whether the current issues with Pohokura / NZ gas supply will help boost the price they get for it. Gas prices have been quite elevated.

Quote Originally Posted by Getty View Post
    Yeah, lets import some more expensive electric cars, so that people can deceive themselves that they are lowering emissions.

Wont do much for the balance of payments.

Even better, slap a taxpayer funded subsidy on them.

Is that ok Julie Anne?
    I see she was telling us in the media we're lucky the stick for so called gas guzzlers isn't 20 times higher. Really got to watch these extremist radicals that are so obsessed they ride a push bike to hospital when they're heavily pregnant. No risk is too great just to save a bit of CO2 right ? Meanwhile GNE burns 2 millions tons of coal imported from Indonesia, (with all the extra shipping costs and emission involved with that), when there's a coal mine 5 minutes down the road from Huntly and all so that we can keep the lights on in a so called dry year and keep people's EV's charged up. You'd be easily forgiven for thinking Govt policy on stopping exploration is a massive stuff up and they have no idea of the implications down the track in terms of our reliance on imported energy.

I think the proposed sale of GNE's stake in Kupe is a massive mistake and is just playing into obsessive compulsion around meeting extreme Govt CO2 targets.
    Last edited by Beagle; 21-06-2021 at 11:36 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyTheHorse View Post
    Should be hearing the outcome of the Kupe sale any day now. I wonder whether the current issues with Pohokura / NZ gas supply will help boost the price they get for it. Gas prices have been quite elevated.
    Would love to get an *update* on precisely what the issues with Pohokura are?

We know about Kupe's compression projects (& timing) to resolve gas supply, but nothing much about Pohokura's situation?

It would help resolve a lot of debate about the oil & gas ban pros & cons as well and if Pohokura is a short term situation or not.
    Last edited by Davexl; 21-06-2021 at 12:23 PM.
    All science is either Physics or stamp collecting - Ernest Rutherford

This is one share I was hoping to keep in the bottom drawer for ever and just enjoy the dividends, but with a relatively high average cost of $3.13 I am having to keep a close eye on it. And I have to say, right now I'm getting a little nervous. The SP is well under the 30 day, 100 day, and 200 day MA; 30 day MA has crossed the 200 day.

As far as I am aware there has been no further announcments re Kupe?

No announcement I am aware of. For what its worth I think this one trades more on yield than anything else and concerns in recent months about long term interest rates potentially heading up has made it a little less attractive but at close to 7% gross yield (incl of imputation credits) I am a happy holder of a modest stake. Good yield for a low risk share.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

IMO

Alot of fearful people on here, afraid of change, scared of transition. Well thats life.If you want to develop ,progress evolve you have to adapt. and be flexible. EV's might not be the ultimate solution but they are a transition away from petrol, it has begun and its accellerating this change. Im excited about the evolving new tech the costs coming down etc etc. Staying stuck in the mud or ones selfish bubble and denying and being remembered, as a forbear will be a sad memory in ones future family tree ,indeed.

Bought a few more today. The thought of Genesis Rankine units burning millions of tons of lovely imported Indonesian coal really warms my heart lol...just winding you up JT.

Fact is that Huntly is keeping the lights and heaters on in Auckland as well as the forward thinkers like JT EV's charged up and we will be relying on those Rankine units for many, many years to come.

In the meantime 7% gross yield is the magic number that does it for me with a low risk utility. Forsyth Barr are predicting 17.6 cps in dividends for FY22 and 90% imputation so that's 23.53 cps gross and on $3.35 that's 7.02% gross forecast yield for FY22 and topping up now I also pick up the final divvy for FY21 due in September. Not too shabby a return for a safe utility company we depend on to stay warm no matter what else is going on in the world.