Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
got your answer , yesterday they say it may close in 5yrs MAY may MAY. MAY BEING THE KEY WORD MEANING THEY WILL KEEEP there options open. with demand rising and no new generation on the horizon except some wind i believe may will be alot longer than 5yrs .

http://www.sharechat.co.nz/article/6...ive-years.html
I was involved, with the commissioning of the last Rankine unit in 1985. These units were designed with an economic life of 25 - 30 years, which should have meant they would be retired between 2010 and 2015. Sure enough Genesis decommissioned 1 unit and mothballed another before that date in order to extend the life of the other 2 units. I can see how they may be kept going out to 2022, but beyond that will be a real task.

Refurbishing the generators and turbines is neither difficult, not too expensive: It is the boilers and condensers that will cause the real issues. Boiler tube leaks are always hard to find and fix, but as the boilers get older this task becomes even more problematic. Replacing the boiler is not an option, as it is an integral part of the building.

However, the Rankine units have proved to be the most versatile thermal machines ever installed in New Zealand, and in many respects are even better than the more modern CCGT plant. I really hope that Genesis can find a way to keep these units running economically.