sharetrader
Page 383 of 383 FirstFirst ... 283333373379380381382383
Results 3,821 to 3,828 of 3828
    Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by xafalcon View Post
    Yes, I know you are correct. We have a huge solar power system, I built some massive home batteries from EV batteries, and we are a net power exporter. So they made their money from us by arbitrage on our solar export

But being a shareholder, I really wanted to stay with GNE. Plus, I liked their EVerywhere plan

Anyway, GNE seem to be doing OK on customer numbers for the past few years
    But if you’re a net exporter, why are you moving away from them because they raised their prices ?

Im with Genesis and am a net exporter. Im just hoping they’re increasing their buyback rate as well as the power charges

Do you mind me asking what buyback rate Meridian offered ?
    Last edited by iceman; 25-01-2024 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    i imagine payback was relatively quick on your solar setup.
    i have a nice big nth facing into the sun skillon roof perfect for a large solar setup but unfortunately for me financials just dont stack up going solar. at payback it wouldnt be long after that the panels would need replacing again. so no go
    Yes, payback was about 3.5 years. I have 20KW of solar panels, 60-70KWh of battery storage, and the ability to discharge batteries to the grid. I designed and installed the system myself, bought panels cheaply by the pallet load from installers quitting superseded stock, and built the storage batteries myself using EV batteries. Cost us about $24K all up, but built in stages over 4 years to spread the cost

Each year we save $3K in electricity, $3K in petrol and get $2K from the electricity company. We are now fully paid off

Get a quote from a company that let's you help do the install, and don't get a quote from Harrison's as they are OTT expensive. Don't get a battery, build a big 10KW system and export during summer and use that credit during the winter. And use your electric hot water cylinder as a battery (there are devices that automate this function). You should get a 6-7 year payback, maybe even 5 years

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    But if you’re a net exporter, why are you moving away from them because they raised their prices ?

Im with Genesis and am a net exporter. Im just hoping they’re increasing their buyback rate as well as the power charges

Do you mind me asking what buyback rate Meridian offered ?
    No i did not change electricity companies because GNE raised their prices. But because I got a much better offer from Meridian ($0.17/KWh vs $0.12/KWh from GNE). We export about 12MWh each year, so the difference is $600, or $3K over 5 years. Plus, with Meridian, everything is fixed for 5 years, even the low user daily fee. Strangely, the 5 year fixed only applies to Meridian's side of the deal, I am only locked in for 2 years. I fully expect to stay for 5 years though

We export every month except June where we are neutral. I built the system this way

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    i imagine payback was relatively quick on your solar setup.
    i have a nice big nth facing into the sun skillon roof perfect for a large solar setup but unfortunately for me financials just dont stack up going solar. at payback it wouldnt be long after that the panels would need replacing again. so no go
    We're in Christchurch with 5.4KW of panels and a 5KW Inverter, no battery but have smart diverter to heat water cylinder before any surplus power gets exported, system produces about 7MWh each year and we try to use as much of that as we can.

Having solar has roughly halved our power bill each year but as the cost of power goes up the savings should increase, especially as the export rate we receive has risen from 8.5 cents to 13 cents since the system was installed.

Our solar panels face 13 degrees East of true North.
    Last edited by CD_CHCH; 25-01-2024 at 05:36 PM. Reason: added some info

Advanced Member

Yes, payback was about 3.5 years. I have 20KW of solar panels, 60-70KWh of battery storage, and the ability to discharge batteries to the grid. I designed and installed the system myself, bought panels cheaply by the pallet load from installers quitting superseded stock, and built the storage batteries myself using EV batteries. Cost us about $24K all up, but built in stages over 4 years to spread the cost

Each year we save $3K in electricity, $3K in petrol and get $2K from the electricity company. We are now fully paid off

Get a quote from a company that let's you help do the install, and don't get a quote from Harrison's as they are OTT expensive. Don't get a battery, build a big 10KW system and export during summer and use that credit during the winter. And use your electric hot water cylinder as a battery (there are devices that automate this function). You should get a 6-7 year payback, maybe even 5 years
    Thats so cool.

Wish I was remotely capable of doing something like that myself.

Dilettante

No i did not change electricity companies because GNE raised their prices. But because I got a much better offer from Meridian ($0.17/KWh vs $0.12/KWh from GNE). We export about 12MWh each year, so the difference is $600, or $3K over 5 years. Plus, with Meridian, everything is fixed for 5 years, even the low user daily fee. Strangely, the 5 year fixed only applies to Meridian's side of the deal, I am only locked in for 2 years. I fully expect to stay for 5 years though

We export every month except June where we are neutral. I built the system this way
    Great stuff. Thanks for the response. That’s a great buyback rate you’ve got from Meridian. I better start looking around 😀

Advanced Member

Have a look here
    https://poweredge.nz/

Quote Originally Posted by stoploss View Post
    Have a look here
    https://poweredge.nz/
    That is a very good buy back rate, and hot off the press in the last few days. But always check that your export credit will be paid out. Some companies (like Octopus) only allow the solar buy back credit to be used to offset your electricity purchases. So if your buy back credit exceeds your power purchases, you effectively get a reduced buy back rate

Meridian also gave me a $300 welcome credit, which will pay my daily fixed charges ($0.69/day incl gst for us) for about a year