sharetrader
Page 307 of 383 FirstFirst ... 207257297303304305306307308309310311317357 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,070 of 3830

Craigs have target of $3.75 outperform . And that dividend is very attractive at current price.

Quote Originally Posted by Shareguy View Post
    Craigs have target of $3.75 outperform . And that dividend is very attractive at current price.
    Thanks for sharing. I agree with their prognosis.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Banned

I see genesis is considering the possibility of running huntley on biomass. Why not consider waste to energy? Surely there is more trash available and at a cheaper price?

Quote Originally Posted by Monarch View Post
    I see genesis is considering the possibility of running huntley on biomass. Why not consider waste to energy? Surely there is more trash available and at a cheaper price?
    I remember there was a proposal to do the same thing at Meremere about 15 years ago. They were going to heat it so hot that it would vapourize pretty much everything, then spin the turbines to produce power. I thought it was a great idea, but never gained traction

Herbacious

Meremere was decomissioned in 1991 so it would have involved rebuilding it almost entirely, probably not as cost effective as retrofitting Huntly.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Count von Count View Post
    I remember there was a proposal to do the same thing at Meremere about 15 years ago. They were going to heat it so hot that it would vapourize pretty much everything, then spin the turbines to produce power. I thought it was a great idea, but never gained traction
    Olivine never went ahead because of all the phenols it would release into the atmosphere, then into livestock via grass grown in the fallout, then into human food chain, in particular through milk, and meat.
    Very hard to manage temperature and pressure economically within a boiler system to control such nasties, using variable feedstock such as urban waste.

The same issue would affect Huntly

The notion of just burning waste to get rid of it, is seriously flawed.
    It is a chemical reaction after all, so is converted, rather than destroyed.
    Last edited by Getty; 31-08-2021 at 09:06 AM.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Monarch View Post
    Other countries are doing it. The incinerators are specially designed for the purpose. Also scalable - start small and expand as needed. Worth a pilot or two, surely.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    Other countries are doing it. The incinerators are specially designed for the purpose. Also scalable - start small and expand as needed. Worth a pilot or two, surely.
    OK, opportunity seized.

Let me duct the outfall from the chimney direct into your home 24/7, then I will respect you as a man of principle.

Deal?

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    Very common all over Europe. Makes much more sense than endless landfills.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Very common all over Europe. Makes much more sense than endless landfills.
    Muted enthusiasm in Europe.

This article has a balanced assessment.

EU climate ambitions spell trouble for electricity from burning waste

Interestingly, they say that with better recycling the waste incineration plants may run out of raw material.

For one, old-fashioned landfills have no place at all in Europe’s sustainable economy of the future. They are already nearly non-existent in Germany, the Netherlands, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Sweden, and Finland.
    I think that NZ is a long way behind Germany in our waste management practices.