sharetrader
Page 342 of 385 FirstFirst ... 242292332338339340341342343344345346352 ... LastLast
Results 3,411 to 3,420 of 3846
    Investments

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    im in the retest of the lows camp. how can the price of gentailers go up when you can get a term deposit with no risk of over 4% ? i know gne pays more than that but thats because they are a coal burner and an oil play both dinosaur assets with limited life. other gentailers paying less than a term deposit so who ever is investing in them must think there growth assets lol
    History shows that buying GNE around 2.50 is always a good buy ...selling over 3.70 is a good sell.

As its purely dividend stock so its the closest Bond proxy u can get here .

CEN / MCY / MEL do have a growth component in SP as they are increasing their EV organically

Your long term worries about GNE due to Kupe and Coal and gas are being addressed by company ...they are transferring their generation to Green option in next 7-8 years so IMO they will keep paying similar ever increasing though marginally dividends . Thus buying GNE is like buying a long term Bond ...it has a coupon rate of 9.5% Gross and its price fluctuates with current rate scene ...coupon of 9.5% covers the equity risk premium too adequately ...as Govt bond is tad lower 4% at AA rating

Also u are underestimating the future growth in electric demand due to transfer of petrol pump business to electric companies via electric cars ...each new electric car is like another house connection in power requirements
    Last edited by alokdhir; 30-06-2022 at 08:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alokdhir View Post
    Also u are underestimating the future growth in electric demand due to transfer of petrol pump business to electric companies via electric cars ...each new electric car is like another house connection in power requirements
    I commute 23km each way in my cheap ev. It uses about 7kWh. A typical NZ house uses about 30kWh each day.

If my ev usage is typical, which I think it is, it takes 4 evs to equal an extra house electrical demand. But your point is still relevant

percy

Quote Originally Posted by xafalcon View Post
    I commute 23km each way in my cheap ev. It uses about 7kWh. A typical NZ house uses about 30kWh each day.

If my ev usage is typical, which I think it is, it takes 4 evs to equal an extra house electrical demand. But your point is still relevant
    Think of households with two, three ,or more electric cars and their kids' electric bikes.

Investments

Quote Originally Posted by xafalcon View Post

For practical purposes I was trying to compare one person house with one car ...which is almost same ...both use appox 4000 KWH per year . Little difference here and there doesn't matter as main point was that they will be main driver of electric demand at the cost of petrol pumps business . Retail oil business will become retail electric business ahead ...slowly it will gain momentum in next 3-8 years .

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Think of households with two, three ,or more electric cars and their kids' electric bikes.
    OP was comparing one ev to one house, and that was what I was commenting on

I totally agree with multi-ev households in the future

Process heat is also where there is great potential (pun) for electricity demand growth

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Here are some numbers from Norway, the leader in EVs. https://cleantechnica.com/2022/06/03...%2C537%20units.

I've been driving around Iceland recently and am staggered by the number of EVs https://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/news/n...on_in_iceland/

NZ should and will get to these sort of numbers eventually but as so often, we are slow on the uptake
    Last edited by iceman; 30-06-2022 at 08:26 PM.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Here are some numbers from Norway, the leader in EVs. https://cleantechnica.com/2022/06/03...%2C537%20units.

I've been driving around Iceland recently and am staggered by the number of EVs https://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/news/n...on_in_iceland/

NZ should and will get to these sort of numbers eventually but as so often, we are slow on the uptake
    Interesting.Thanks for posting.
    Surprised Toyota do not feature.

hydrogen cars maybe bigger than ev cars in the future so that mean no extra demand for electricity companies
    one step ahead of the herd

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    hydrogen cars maybe bigger than ev cars in the future so that mean no extra demand for electricity companies
    Where do you think the hydrogen will come from? Assuming the hydrogen is home-grown this would need even more electricity as it's less efficient to turn electricity to hydrogen and then power a car with it than it is to just charge a battery.

Quote Originally Posted by mfd View Post
    Where do you think the hydrogen will come from? Assuming the hydrogen is home-grown this would need even more electricity as it's less efficient to turn electricity to hydrogen and then power a car with it than it is to just charge a battery.
    probably imported like everything else.
    one step ahead of the herd