sharetrader
Page 343 of 383 FirstFirst ... 243293333339340341342343344345346347353 ... LastLast
Results 3,421 to 3,430 of 3830
    Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    probably imported like everything else.
    Have a read in todays herald

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...T5HCRRD6423WY/

The last part discusses producing hydrogen in NZ. What is already happening and plans for the future, although currently you might be right about it being imported.

Genesis may not be the best company to do it as hydrogen is only "green" when produced from renewable energy such as hydro, geothermal, wind etc.
    Last edited by Aaron; 01-07-2022 at 09:13 AM.

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post

The last part discusses producing hydrogen in NZ. What is already happening and plans for the future, although currently you might be right about it being imported.

Genesis may not be the best company to do it as hydrogen is only "green" when produced from renewable energy such as hydro, geothermal, wind etc.
    "With current tech, electrolysis generally produces hydrogen at about 75 per cent efficiency. So to create a kilo of pure hydrogen fuel, which holds about 39.4kWh of energy, it takes 52.5kWh. By improving electrolysis efficiency to 95 per cent, that means it'll only take 41.5kWh to generate a kilo of fuel"

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post

Before it disappears off the news stands, GNE holders might be interested in grabbing a copy of NZ Geographic magazine for May/June 2022. It contains an article: "Why are we still burning coal?". The article has a current run down on the state of NZ's gas fields, and GNE's biomass trial at Huntly. The fact that Genesis - apart from in 2021 - isn't NZ's worst coal burning bad boy is noted. That title belongs to NZ Steel.

The article ends going into the potential of a hydrogen economy for NZ. The principal scientist of Wellington's Robinson Research Institute, Chris Bumby, has trialed a process making steel using hydrogen rather than coal. We have all heard about Meridian and Contact's proposed renewable hydrogen production plant down south. But this article talks about the "Taranaki H2 roadmap."

The 'Taranaki H2 roadmap plan' is for offshore wind farms and tide turbines to generate electricity which will in turn power hydrogen production plants on old offshore gas drilling platforms, or facilities on shore. This would provide some continuity for workers and otherwise superseded infrastructure as the gas industry winds down in Taranaki.

I found the whole article fascinating. Maybe Genesis's 'legacy gas field assets' in Taranaki have a long term future after all?

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 01-07-2022 at 09:57 AM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    im in the retest of the lows camp. how can the price of gentailers go up when you can get a term deposit with no risk of over 4% ? i know gne pays more than that but thats because they are a coal burner and an oil play both dinosaur assets with limited life. other gentailers paying less than a term deposit so who ever is investing in them must think there growth assets lol
    Hey bull, JFAL= Just For A Laugh. I bought 21,000 CEN @ av. price $7.026 on top of what I already own, just for the upcoming div and possibly a quick trade, but because they went up over 30c over the next 3 days, I sold them over 6k profit. Now that is what I call lol all the way to the bank. Am now ready to buy them back and maybe keep them a bit longer for the div or another trade.
    Last edited by see weed; 01-07-2022 at 10:18 AM.

Guru

https://www.nzgeo.com/stories/why-ar...-burning-coal/

But does it make sense to turn that "green" electricity to H?
    Last edited by kiora; 01-07-2022 at 10:18 AM.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by see weed View Post
    Hey bull, JFAL= Just For A Laugh. I bought 21,000 CEN on top of what I already own, just for the upcoming div and possibly a quick trade, but because they went up over 30c over the next 3 days, I sold them over 6k profit. Now that is what I call lol all the way to the bank. Am now ready to buy them back and maybe keep them a bit longer for the div or another trade.
    Love what you do;
    Heads you win.
    Tails you win.

Quote Originally Posted by see weed View Post
    Hey bull, JFAL= Just For A Laugh. I bought 21,000 CEN @ av. price $7.026 on top of what I already own, just for the upcoming div and possibly a quick trade, but because they went up over 30c over the next 3 days, I sold them over 6k profit. Now that is what I call lol all the way to the bank. Am now ready to buy them back and maybe keep them a bit longer for the div or another trade.
    i see your playing the bear as you should , nimble like
    one step ahead of the herd

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by kiora View Post
    https://www.nzgeo.com/stories/why-ar...-burning-coal/

But does it make sense to turn that "green" electricity to H?
    If Japan wants to buy 'green hydrogen' off NZ, I guess it does?

SNOOPY
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    "With current tech, electrolysis generally produces hydrogen at about 75 per cent efficiency. So to create a kilo of pure hydrogen fuel, which holds about 39.4kWh of energy, it takes 52.5kWh. By improving electrolysis efficiency to 95 per cent, that means it'll only take 41.5kWh to generate a kilo of fuel"
    That makes the hydrogen. Then it needs to be compressed or transformed (eg ammonia). Then stored. Then transported. Then stored. Then transferred to the end user. Then converted to mechanical or electrical energy. So the 75% efficiency falls below 60% for electrical energy or 30% for mechanical energy

IMO hydrogen is a waste of energy

Investments

W69 ...after todays big move down in bond yields whats your latest GNE SP target based on Bond yields

10 year is down big from top of 4.284 to just 3.723 ....Shud help GNE ?