sharetrader
Page 235 of 383 FirstFirst ... 135185225231232233234235236237238239245285335 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,350 of 3830
    Advanced Member

[QUOTE=Bobdn;733424]I wondered that too. I see Genesis' last quarterly up date mentioned supply issues from the Pohokura field. Is it more of the same?

Mercury have a quarterly report out next week so may get more info there

Spot prices have been very high this month so its possible Genesis could be making big profits-I cant work it out but would like to know.
    I sold nearly all my genesis when jacinda and the greens gained power.
    Its all so unpredictable and I am going to sit on my hands atm

[QUOTE=fish;733446]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobdn View Post
    I wondered that too. I see Genesis' last quarterly up date mentioned supply issues from the Pohokura field. Is it more of the same?

Mercury have a quarterly report out next week so may get more info there

Spot prices have been very high this month so its possible Genesis could be making big profits-I cant work it out but would like to know.
    I sold nearly all my genesis when jacinda and the greens gained power.
    Its all so unpredictable and I am going to sit on my hands atm
    I can't work it out either. Does the higher spot prices make up for the fact that Tekapo and Unit 5 (gas fired generator at Huntly formerly known as e3p) isn't producing as much?

I know people are dirty on coal, but what an amazing source of reserve power. When all else fails, there's coal to keep the show on the road. I'd love to shovel coal into those Rankine Units (even though I think it gets there by conveyor belt). I'd do it for free as a shareholder. It would be so satisfying.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    This weekend's weather should help. But went past Pukaki & Tekapo the other day and seemed low for time of year....

Looks like all the lakes are below average, but average snow still there for the time of year.
    This weekend though looks as dry as ...

https://www.metservice.com/maps-rada...forecast-3-day

[QUOTE=Bobdn;733453]
    Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post

I can't work it out either. Does the higher spot prices make up for the fact that Tekapo and Unit 5 (gas fired generator at Huntly formerly known as e3p) isn't producing as much?

I know people are dirty on coal, but what an amazing source of reserve power. When all else fails, there's coal to keep the show on the road. I'd love to shovel coal into those Rankine Units (even though I think it gets there by conveyor belt). I'd do it for free as a shareholder. It would be so satisfying.
    Not for me but I'd put my hand up to be a coal stoker on the Earnslaw for one trip, skip to 6:50 in this video or watch the whole thing if you have the time or the market is driving you crazy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icyGjoJZToA
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Some good footage there. I bet those guys love their work.

Missed by that much

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    And the rain that they hoped for maybe did not quite fall in the quantities predicted over the last few days? I could be wrong, but the lakes are still pretty low, at about 80% of average and 44% of capacity. Another 2 weeks of dry weather could make things interesting.

Jantar, what is causing the gas shortage?
    I am not sure of the exact problem, but there are major issues with Pohokura, and a minor problem at Maui. We are being curtailed to around 2/3 of our normal gas usage.

The rain that was expected did arrive over the past 2 weeks. But it came as white fluffy stuff rather than wet heavy stuff. There is more snow in the western parts of the South Island than has been seen for many years. The eastern ranges missed quite a bit of this. Central Otago District Council have extended the winter road closures (like Poolburn, Old Dunstan Rd, Dunstan Range roads, Nevis Rd etc) for an additional 3 weeks due the extra snow this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobdn View Post
    Some good footage there. I bet those guys love their work.
    Some jobs are just so cool aren't they ! I love the Earnslaw, such a rich history. http://www.tssearnslaw.co.nz/tss-earnslaw/History/
    Here's a much shorter and much better one of the engine room, you can almost smell the coal burning https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b36VZlo9Ek
    Last edited by Beagle; 12-10-2018 at 07:08 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    I am not sure of the exact problem, but there are major issues with Pohokura, and a minor problem at Maui. We are being curtailed to around 2/3 of our normal gas usage.

The rain that was expected did arrive over the past 2 weeks. But it came as white fluffy stuff rather than wet heavy stuff. There is more snow in the western parts of the South Island than has been seen for many years. The eastern ranges missed quite a bit of this. Central Otago District Council have extended the winter road closures (like Poolburn, Old Dunstan Rd, Dunstan Range roads, Nevis Rd etc) for an additional 3 weeks due the extra snow this year.
    Cheers Jantar, that makes sense. But does white fluffy stuff not turn into wet stuff once it melts and with summer coming up surely it still ends up in the lakes? Or is it sitting on the wrong side of the mountain? I am not 100% up with the play on SI meteorology but its a fascinating science. I see there are some PhD papers online that have studied this. Might have to tuck into some weekend reading at some stage.

Missed by that much

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Cheers Jantar, that makes sense. But does white fluffy stuff not turn into wet stuff once it melts and with summer coming up surely it still ends up in the lakes? ...
    Yes it does end up in the lakes, but isn't there yet. Long range predictions are for the weather remain cold for another couple of weeks, and snow melt is likely to start around 1st or second week of November. There is a risk that if the warmer weather is accompanied by heavy rainfall, a lot of the snow could melt at once, and that would cause a flood with a lot of the water being spilled.

Might I suggest https://researchcommons.waikato.ac.nz/handle/10289/9706 for some light reading. You may recognize the lead author.

The Kid

Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    Yes it does end up in the lakes, but isn't there yet. Long range predictions are for the weather remain cold for another couple of weeks, and snow melt is likely to start around 1st or second week of November. There is a risk that if the warmer weather is accompanied by heavy rainfall, a lot of the snow could melt at once, and that would cause a flood with a lot of the water being spilled.

Might I suggest https://researchcommons.waikato.ac.nz/handle/10289/9706 for some light reading. You may recognize the lead author.
    Don't recognise the lead author but the coauthor was my old hydrology lecturer Congrats Jantar on the publication. I'll have a read when I get some time.