sharetrader
Page 289 of 383 FirstFirst ... 189239279285286287288289290291292293299339 ... LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,890 of 3830

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    love to quote myself so soon.

in my mind w69 you will lose the profits on the previous bond trade as well as any you might have had on the follow up trade. but you acknowledged its all about the cap gains.

so no more mention of bond proxies huh, coz its BS.
    OK ...no bond proxy or quasi bond talk

But the GNE share price will be driven by prevailing 5 year govt bond rate plus what premium punters see as appropriate in light of associated risks
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

GNE has been under performing when compared to other power companies. Anyone have insight to why?

Disc: hold and regularly adding on weakness to my long term portfolio.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyTheHorse View Post
    GNE has been under performing when compared to other power companies. Anyone have insight to why?

Disc: hold and regularly adding on weakness to my long term portfolio.
    the others are more likely to benefit from the Tiwai resolution that Labour has said it will go for.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

GNE looking like its overdue for some love compared to the other Gentailiers. Brokers are forecasting dividends of approx. 17.5 cps which together with 80% imputation = 22.5 cps gross in the year ahead and they have an excellent track record of increasing dividends slightly each year.
    22.5 cps / 316 = 7.1% Gross Yield.

That's a stunning yield for a Gentailier compared to the others in this sector who by comparison have seen their share prices really run away.
    Disc: I bought some more quite recently.
    Last edited by Beagle; 11-11-2020 at 11:50 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    OK ...no bond proxy or quasi bond talk

But the GNE share price will be driven by prevailing 5 year govt bond rate plus what premium punters see as appropriate in light of associated risks
    You happy with your term deposit Winner (We've got to push back against the politically correct thought police stopping us having some fun).
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Advanced Member

Beagles are very good at sniffing out tasty morsels at ground level, but sometimes they need a bigger beast to see the enemies & storm clouds on the horizon.
    As you would already know, GNE has a lot of thermal capacity, and despite the wishes of some, it isnt going to be turned off tomorrow.

However, medium term it will be.
    What is happening globally, institutions, pension funds & the like are withdrawing exposure to such investments.
    Recent examples are NZR, and AGL on Asx, where capital is being withdrawn, ahead of future dents to cashflow.

So while your divvies are safe for now, the capital value of such stocks will be eroded, as that capital takes flight, & these companies re invent themselves. to wind, hydro, geo, nuclear, oops, who said that?, and may have to capital raise to do so.
    Last edited by Getty; 25-11-2020 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Getty View Post
    Beagles are very good at sniffing out tasty morsels at ground level, but sometimes they need a bigger beast to see the enemies & storm clouds on the horizon.
    As you would already know, GNE has a lot of thermal capacity, and despite the wishes of some, it isnt going to be turned off tomorrow.

However, medium term it will be.
    What is happening globally, institutions, pension funds & the like are withdrawing exposure to such investments.
    Recent examples are NZR, and AGL on Asx, where capital is being withdrawn, ahead of future dents to cashflow.

So while your divvies are safe for now, the capital value of such stocks will be eroded, as that capital takes flight, & these companies re invent themselves. to wind, hydro, geo, nuclear, oops, who said that?, and may have to capital raise to do so.
    so true , hence why gne is the worst performer of the big 4
    one step ahead of the herd

Advanced Member

Albert Brantley turned off the Rankines last year, but the ever pragmatic Gennie Shipley said give them another spin Albert, I like feeling the heat in the kitchen.

Strategic review ofvKupe

I hate it when they give this veiled warning - It is not expected that the outcome of this strategic review will impact our ability to maintain the current level of dividends

http://nzx-prod-s7fsd7f98s.s3-websit...038/336214.pdf

I knew I’d timed this dividend hype game wrong ...without DYOR on an industry I know squat all about that’ll teach me
    Last edited by winner69; 27-11-2020 at 08:48 AM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

kupe probably not very profitable in a low price environment. im picking they sell it for way less than its on the books. so one would need to factor this in gne financials going forward.
    one step ahead of the herd