sharetrader

Thread: Tax advice

Threaded View

Dilettante

[QUOTE=Joshuatree;709028]I have just had my tax return done for 16/17 (its a long story) and really cant challenge , change anything at this late stage but i have found out a few more things.
    Your info is correct Roger. Despite separating my trading and Investing portfolios out to diff brokers , many of my investment stocks have been treated like trading stocks UNLESS they are over 2 years old (the bright line prop test above) so i got a shock to see that instead of getting a tax return this year i have a lot more tax to stump up with. The other thing of note was also what my intention was when SELLING a stock!!!?. This could also decide what status that share was under. On top of all that my accountants want nearly double the fee from last year. Havnt had a chance to add up all my transactions but so far it doesn't look a lot different.

Am thinking of switching accountants but will that create more problems /costs with them having to set up a new "template" so to speak and does my history get transferred to new accountant etc, can they be difficult about this etc. Thoughts appreciated.[/QUOTE]

JT I'd recommend looking at Sharesight and possibly Xero. I use both and Sharesight connects with Xero, which connects to my bank account (ANZ), so basically all done automatically. Has saved me lots on accountancy fees and made the accountant's job much easier.
    Last edited by iceman; 25-03-2018 at 10:48 PM.