sharetrader

Default Left overs from dividend reinvestment plans

For the first time in my investment journey I’ve elected to participate in a dividend reinvestment plan.

This is with Ryman and Property for Industry.

My question is what happens to the dividends left over? Say I have $1000 of shares and the dividend is 2% ($20). Let’s say the share price is $3 so I get 6x new shares ($18 worth) but what happens to the $2 left over at the end?

Quote Originally Posted by epower View Post
    For the first time in my investment journey I’ve elected to participate in a dividend reinvestment plan.

My question is what happens to the dividends left over? Say I have $1000 of shares and the dividend is 2% ($20). Let’s say the share price is $3 so I get 6x new shares ($18 worth) but what happens to the $2 left over at the end?
    Generally they hold the left overs to the next dividend ... in the example they'll add .66 shares to that ($2/$3)

Suppose if you sell or they don't continue with DRP you lose out

Always been a bone of contention . the evils of rounding
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

In some cases the leftover amount is carried over and added to the next dividend pay-out. The Fisher trio all do this. In other cases you "lose" the leftover amount. There do not seem to be any legal requirements around this from what I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by epower View Post

Permanent Newbie

I got paid out .97cents in Sept last year. I think it was the residue from my AGL DRIP that got carried forward.

Now that you mention it I don't recall ever receiving any others but I am also not aware of another situation where something might have been due more than a couple of bucks.

Probably only significant if you have a DRIP with Berkshire Hathaway.